Cleal says sh*t could've been avoided if Sea Eagles offered Des Hasler a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...contract-earlier/story-e6frexnr-1226191994634

NOEL "Crusher" Cleal shakes his head in disbelief. The burnt friendships, the accusations of betrayal.

Yes, big Crusher is following Des Hasler to the Bulldogs. No, he won't be made to feel like he's done the dirty on his beloved Sea Eagles.

And for all those wanting to point the finger at Hasler for having the hide to take his support staff with him to Canterbury, Crusher last night went on the record with a dose of reality.

"Look, I'm not a person to cause confrontation but it is sad to see what has happened here. It shouldn't have happened," he said. "But anyone who has left Manly has done so on their own accord. No one has been forced.

"For me, I had fears that people from board level were going to try and get involved in recruitment. Now Dave Perry was pretty vocal in the fact he was going to be in charge of all negotiations. I had concerns. The board should be one ship, one captain. But at the moment it's one ship and a few captains. That's one problem."

And here's the other problem.

"Did Des want to stay? Of course he did," Cleal continued. "But not signing Des is where this all started and f ... knows where it's going to end.

"You think, we won the grand final five weeks ago and it feels like five years. And that's the sad part.

"But this never would have happened if (the board) had gone out and said; 'Des, here's a contract. How long do you want?'

"There has been lifelong friendships burnt and that worries me. I think about the people I have been involved with for 20 years and particularly the last eight years.

A lot of those friendships are strained now because of what has occurred. It's a tough one because what has been built in the last eight years has been pulled down in a matter of weeks because the board didn't sign Des back in May or even April. I mean, of course it could have been averted.

"Friendships have been broken and that's the sad part but we will be sitting around in 10 years time having a beer and reflecting on this period and the success we had. In 10 years time I know I will be sitting down having a beer with Geoff Toovey, of course I will. But you can say I am excited going to Canterbury. We are Manly people but we are professionals. Like everybody, we have to pay the bills."

Is it just me that is uncomfortable with some of his comments.
"We are Manly people but we are professionals. Like everybody, we have to pay the bills."

BTW. What a head!

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
Yeah its funny how the manly fans are buying the whole des and cleal betrayed the club nonsense.

To live in denial will cost them dearly. Something needs to be done about the self-serving board for their club to progress.

Luckily, we have reaped the benefits in all this :grinning:

GO THA DOGZ!

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
Manly people comments are natural.

They will soon enjoy being doggie people when they see how professionally things are run.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
"We are Manly people but we are professionals. Like everybody, we have to pay the bills."

BTW. What a head![/QUOTE]

No- fact of the matter is they both played there and have spent alot of their working career at Manly so naturally at this point in time they are going to have a soft spot for Manly but have both probably left with a bitter taste in their mouth which gives them the opportunity to become CBB people

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Meh, No biggie.

Whats Kane up to these days anyway ??

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What do you expect? that Crusher will say he's now a Doggies person? He's spent his entire career at Manly, he's obviously going to hold a massive soft spot for the club...

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
not concerned at all

they are 'professionals' and it doesn't mean they can't be passionate about what they're doing, while at another club

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...contract-earlier/story-e6frexnr-1226191994634

NOEL "Crusher" Cleal shakes his head in disbelief. The burnt friendships, the accusations of betrayal.

Yes, big Crusher is following Des Hasler to the Bulldogs. No, he won't be made to feel like he's done the dirty on his beloved Sea Eagles.

And for all those wanting to point the finger at Hasler for having the hide to take his support staff with him to Canterbury, Crusher last night went on the record with a dose of reality.

"Look, I'm not a person to cause confrontation but it is sad to see what has happened here. It shouldn't have happened," he said. "But anyone who has left Manly has done so on their own accord. No one has been forced.

"For me, I had fears that people from board level were going to try and get involved in recruitment. Now Dave Perry was pretty vocal in the fact he was going to be in charge of all negotiations. I had concerns. The board should be one ship, one captain. But at the moment it's one ship and a few captains. That's one problem."

And here's the other problem.

"Did Des want to stay? Of course he did," Cleal continued. "But not signing Des is where this all started and f ... knows where it's going to end.

"You think, we won the grand final five weeks ago and it feels like five years. And that's the sad part.

"But this never would have happened if (the board) had gone out and said; 'Des, here's a contract. How long do you want?'

"There has been lifelong friendships burnt and that worries me. I think about the people I have been involved with for 20 years and particularly the last eight years.

A lot of those friendships are strained now because of what has occurred. It's a tough one because what has been built in the last eight years has been pulled down in a matter of weeks because the board didn't sign Des back in May or even April. I mean, of course it could have been averted.

"Friendships have been broken and that's the sad part but we will be sitting around in 10 years time having a beer and reflecting on this period and the success we had. In 10 years time I know I will be sitting down having a beer with Geoff Toovey, of course I will. But you can say I am excited going to Canterbury. We are Manly people but we are professionals. Like everybody, we have to pay the bills."

BTW. What a head!
All balls down to money

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's spent his entire career at Manly,
He spent some time at Parramatta in recruitment and played for the Roosters as well.

But when you think of Crusher you think of Manly, hopefully that will change over the next half dozen or so years.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He spent some time at Parramatta in recruitment and played for the Roosters as well.

But when you think of Crusher you think of Manly, hopefully that will change over the next half dozen or so years.
Similar to Steve Price...

Regardless whenever i think Steve Price i will always think Bulldogs and not Warriors

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wish the sea eagles offered him a contract, too.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point. Another part that makes things a little clearer for me is how he says, he doesn't like causing confrontation - des is a stubborn fuck and im happy to sniff the seat he sits on.
Another part.. dave perry will be looking after all negotiations - des can't be the control freak that he normally is and that wont go down too well with him so if he walks, im the fly to his shit.

U know it really doesn't suprise me. These imposters need to really fuck off quick, they have fucked the team and club that i love.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the hell did these guys win 2 premierships?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2008 No Cam Smith in the GF but they had Orford that year killing it at Hlafback he won Dally M and Stewart at the back

2011 draw opened up for them and they played NZ in the GF with Foran DCE and BStewart in the spine

premiership winning spines vs our current spine is chall and cheese

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fcuk I wish I could turn back time
I'd send the fat fcuk packing back to manly or better yet throw him off the spit bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.