Ciraldo set to spring fullback selection shock to open Bulldogs’ season

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope he knocks it outta the park all year this fella.
As for Jake as said he has to rise up or bust..idk if Critta's contract extension chatter is bs in hope :grinning: or actually has legs but it's make or break time for him..

Go well Hayze..p.s he needs a nickname anyone got anything?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has the smh starting reading the kennel too or is Fittler a massive snitch
Funny enough this report confirms what we've been saying all along.
Fullback is much more complicated than being fast and able to score tries, most importantly he needs to orginise the teams defence, the way the current game is now needs to be a second halfback / five-eight.
Now the SMH who is pro Gus / Bulldogs reports on what I call a major issue are they indicating to us that Averillo's playing days at the Bulldogs hinges on how he performs in the centres ?

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jakes just been blooded @ the wrong time.. he def has the potential & I hope we haven’t discarded a promising junior until we see what kind of coach CC can be for him & give him confidence, which looks to be a concern

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn't that good that's the problem. Actually think Jake suits that 14 jersey, can play anywhere and cover everywhere.
Agreed, sadly for Averillo he will probably have a career much like Mbye, he'll probably bounce around several teams, playing multiple positions because he's a jack of all trades player but not actually great in any position to cement himself.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should Kiraz get the centre gig and create for Avo on the wing? Idk but I know who exudes more confidence and Avo is quicker to finish off a break.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He isn't that good that's the problem. Actually think Jake suits that 14 jersey, can play anywhere and cover everywhere.
I like the idea of using Averillo as a 14.
Just not sure he has the footy brain to come on as a DH option if needed.
In fact, his reluctance to communicate is the main reason he is under threat at fullback, despite his attacking skills.
A 14 needs to be able to think in every position as well.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jakes just been blooded @ the wrong time.. he def has the potential & I hope we haven’t discarded a promising junior until we see what kind of coach CC can be for him & give him confidence, which looks to be a concern
Averillo needs and deserves the support in whatever position he plays, he also needs to do his part...
It makes us as a better club moving forward !

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
An issue I see with Jake as 14 is if he subs at hooker. He has already shown he doesn't like contact and he couldn't hide from it if he came on for 9. Anyway I think Mahoney is generally an 80 minute player

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure i agree with some of the criticism towards jake here. Imo hes just like most fb in the comp. They look good in the winning team and ordinary when the team is getting smashed. He had been good when we are winning. Scoring tries and looking sharp. But most of the time in last few years the team lost and by big scores. Which fb or backs in the comp can look ok under that condition? Kiraz and jac are favs here and they didnt do much either when the team were losing at end of the season

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not sure i agree with some of the criticism towards jake here. Imo hes just like most fb in the comp. They look good in the winning team and ordinary when the team is getting smashed. He had been good when we are winning. Scoring tries and looking sharp. But most of the time in last few years the team lost and by big scores. Which fb or backs in the comp can look ok under that condition? Kiraz and jac are favs here and they didnt do much either when the team were losing at end of the season
Coach doesn't think he's good enough defensively, talk wise and involvement wise, at least when comparing to Perham. JAC was elite, Kiraz a shining light. I would still pick Averillo as 1, but I can see the reasons why we're looking to go with Perham, and at least it's a kid and not a dud. Averillo no future in our team at 1 with Crichton signing, he gets a head start for a centre position (which I think will be Alamoti and Xerri anyways).

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he knocks it outta the park all year this fella.
As for Jake as said he has to rise up or bust..idk if Critta's contract extension chatter is bs in hope :grinning: or actually has legs but it's make or break time for him..

Go well Hayze..p.s he needs a nickname anyone got anything?
Nickname of “Winter” perhaps?

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said it all along. Averillo is the new Mbye. He probably suffered a bit in terms of development due to covid and what not. However he was the victim of our shitness, showed some talent in reserves and Pay gave him a crack when realistically he wasn’t ready. He’s since been shuffled around and hasn’t nailed a spot. I actually think he’d suit a running five eight role, but we have this fella named Burton. He can ship off for all I care. He seems too quiet to mail FB, and tbh he’s soft.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An issue I see with Jake as 14 is if he subs at hooker. He has already shown he doesn't like contact and he couldn't hide from it if he came on for 9. Anyway I think Mahoney is generally an 80 minute player
Not every 14 has to sub on as a hooker. Tabuai-Fidow was playing 14 for the cowboys and generally came on to cover any position from 1-5. I think Averillo can be used similarly with the addition of also being able to cover in the halves if required so would offer more utility value

Last edited: