Ciraldo set to spring fullback selection shock to open Bulldogs’ season

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, sadly for Averillo he will probably have a career much like Mbye, he'll probably bounce around several teams, playing multiple positions because he's a jack of all trades player but not actually great in any position to cement himself.
yep it’s not a bad thing good sides like a good 14 but if Jake is starting you are losing more than you win

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea of using Averillo as a 14.
Just not sure he has the footy brain to come on as a DH option if needed.
In fact, his reluctance to communicate is the main reason he is under threat at fullback, despite his attacking skills.
A 14 needs to be able to think in every position as well.
wouldn’t really use him at 9 much, Mahoney is a 80 minute hooker but Jake could cover a few mins if need be. He’s be there to cover any injury in the backs. That’s a nice thing to have in your 17

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This also lessens Averillo's value in what is a contract year for him.

There could be some tactical re-signing reasons behind this if indeed the club do want to keep him.

OR maybe now that Barrett is at Parra they might see him as a suitable halves partner for Dylan Brown if Moses leaves.
Averillo a halfback? Hahahahaha...it's not April 1 yet is it? Hahahahaha
Ahhhhhh no. You have no memory of him playing over 15 very forgettable games in the halves for us? A half Averillo is not. A passable centre or FB.
The more I think of Averillo the more I think the Tigers could take him off our hands a la Moses MBye. We tell everyone he's a very good footballer, so versatile. Can play anywhere. Just doesn't play anywhere very well

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also Meaney got totally found out in their semi v Canberra this year. He was hopeless at five eighth.

Munster was terrible at fullback in regards to defence. He was Dufty like.

But because it’s Bellamy it doesn’t get mentioned
There are leaders and there are confidence players out there that performs well only when the team around them is,
This is normal.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the idea of using Averillo as a 14.
Just not sure he has the footy brain to come on as a DH option if needed.
In fact, his reluctance to communicate is the main reason he is under threat at fullback, despite his attacking skills.
A 14 needs to be able to think in every position as well.
also needs to be able to defend in the middle if required. and that ain't jake.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His biggest asset was that he was 25kg heavier than the rest. He lost a shitload of weight down there and didn't pack on muscle. So he basically threw away his advantage and didn't replace it with anything. Proof that Bellamy isn't Jesus
Not only Kasiano lost weight and didn't gain muscle...He got married :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Again you are right, Bellamy isn't Jesus farm from it, he is a smart and canning coach who's more often than occasional bend the rules and was allowed to get way with it :confused:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo a halfback? Hahahahaha...it's not April 1 yet is it? Hahahahaha
Ahhhhhh no. You have no memory of him playing over 15 very forgettable games in the halves for us? A half Averillo is not. A passable centre or FB.
The more I think of Averillo the more I think the Tigers could take him off our hands a la Moses MBye. We tell everyone he's a very good footballer, so versatile. Can play anywhere. Just doesn't play anywhere very well
I think you missed my point Dogtime.

Now that the only man in rugby league who thought Averillo is a Halfback is at the Eels "Trent Barrett", perhaps he will push to have him over at Parra to partner Brown in the halves after we get Mitch Moses over here.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So if Pernam kills it what happens with critta
Perham becomes Reuben Garrick and Critta gets to see if he has enough "turbo" (sans the injuries) to push him onto the wing.
If Critta comes up a little short (which could just mean Perham is killing it) then Critta falls in at centre. (win-win).

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I strongly believe we'd be a better team with Skelton in the centres over Avo.
Agreed, I’m in the minority but right now I actually think Skelton has a higher probability of being a strike/game breaking centre than any of our options. I’d have him as the centre inside fox. Alamoti as the right centre. Following year Skelton transitions to back rower and xerri comes in.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Skelton is more likely to make his debut off the bench. Could play on the edge or Centre/Winger for injuries. Comes down to how CC wants to play the bench, considering Mahoney is mostly an 80 minute hooker.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
fitness would be the only thing holding Skelton back and defensive patterns.
he hasn’t been playing league for long

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Jake has heaps of potential but his biggest problem is himself. He's had pretty much unchallenged opportunity to cement a FG spot in multiple positions which was gifted due to being such a poor team with no options. The bloke just doesn't back himself and tough love to say but he's enjoyed more chances than most players get.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Knockonbur is in a battle for the Massey Cup bench.
Okunbor is good in attack, if ciraldo can find a way to fix his terrible defence he would be ok. His lateral movement and turn around (to chase) speed has been horrible. He can be a statue in defence vs fast players

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Not every 14 has to sub on as a hooker. Tabuai-Fidow was playing 14 for the cowboys and generally came on to cover any position from 1-5. I think Averillo can be used similarly with the addition of also being able to cover in the halves if required so would offer more utility value
Yes - agreed.

Subs for the backline are a bit less common except maybe around the halves and I don't thionk Jake is a 6 or 7. More commonly for the forwards to have a break - teams typically have two players who can play 9.