News Ciraldo reveals reaction to Josh Jackson’s retirement

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Written by
SCOTT PRYDE -Zero Tackle

New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has revealed his surprised reaction to learning of club captain and stalwart Josh Jackson's choice to retire.

Ciraldo, who has finally left his role as an assistant coach at the Penrith Panthers to link up with Phil Gould and the Canterbury Bulldogs for his first head coaching role, was rocked early in his tenure by Jackson's call to retire.

Jackson had all but held the Bulldogs together in recent years, with the club a regular finisher at the bottom of the table.

Jackson, who captained the club, retired with 241 games for the Bulldogs, to go with nine State of Origins for New South Wales and two Tests for Australia.

Speaking on The Bye Round Podcast with James Graham, Ciraldo revealed Jackson told him he would retire on his first day at Belmore.

“He just said, ‘Ciro, I'm sorry to drop this on you on your first day but I'm not going to play next year — my body has had enough',” Ciraldo recalled.

“I was still a bit under the weather from celebrations the day before, and I was sitting there with the captain, and he was telling me that he didn't want to play.

“I was a little bit in shock and didn't know what to say.

“I sat there and talked to him for a bit, and it was clear he'd thought about it a lot. I said go away and sleep on it; come back to me in a few days when you've had time to digest it.

“And he came back again and said he was done.”

Ciraldo admitted he didn't know how to react to the news.

“I didn't know how to handle it,” Ciraldo said.

“There are no textbooks I've read that says how to handle when your captain wants to retire early.”

Jackson has taken a role to remain at the club in the coaching department, but Ciraldo said it wasn't a condition of his retirement.

“He did it without asking for a job on the staff or anything like that. He was happy to just walk away from the final year of his contract,” he said.

“That just shows the type of man he is — he's incredible.

“We're really grateful that he's on our staff now and still has a part to play in the Bulldogs."

Ciraldo's tenure in charge of the blue and white will commence with a Round 1 trip to the Northern Beaches where the club will take on the Manly Sea Eagles, who are also looking for a drastic turnaround under new coach Anthony Seibold.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah we seen this already.
Then someone transcribed it as an 'article'
Then someone posted it as 'news' on TK.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently he was doing 300kg hip thrusters :dizzy:

What ever you say about Jackson, he is a true warrior and stuck by us all the way through. And make the selfless decision to retire. Many others would have played on subpar and drained the club of the salary cap or jumped ship earlier and signed on for a contender. He could easily have asked for an extension and probably gotten it. But hats off to him for putting the club first. Its what takes him from being a great player to club legend.

Lets not forget when the cap was tight he was the first to offer to take a reduction..... Not many others would do that.

He has realised that he isnt up there with the nanai's, papalis, murrays, radleys etc. He is on the same side as our star recruit, and he probably hasnt been happy with his own performances so made the call to walk away. That should earn the respect and admiration of all the fans, staff and players.

He carried a subpar team and kept them away from getting maybe 3-4 wooden spoons, all that catches up to you eventually. You can only put in 100% for x amount of games/years. Then you burnout.

If he can pass on his worth ethic and professionalism to even 1 player in the squad or coming through then we are very very lucky.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I missed you buddy

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He deserved a better roster around him and 1 more year to complete his contract would of been fitting. He knows his body where it was at and made a noble decision to retire with no fanfare. He will leave a legacy to other players on what it means to have this club in your heart.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A true legend (not just at the Bulldogs but of the NRL) who deserved more success than he saw in recent years. Still he played at the highest level at the NRL, and was probably one of our most consistently fit players over the years, rarely missing a game through injury.

Doesn't suprise me how he retired without much fanfare as he always came across as such a humble guy.

To have him around our current group of players with other legends of the club, is inspirational.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah we seen this already.
Then someone transcribed it as an 'article'
Then someone posted it as 'news' on TK.
Yeah I commented on it after seeing Ciraldo on James Graham’s podcast. Others may have mentioned it before this.

It’s hilariously lame how many newspaper stories these days are taken from online conversations. They used to inform society, now society informs them a lot of the time.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I understand that concussion issues may have prompted his decision.