News Ciraldo needs to have a long, hard look at his attack as Warriors blunt Bulldogs in impressive win

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fixing the defence needs to come first. I’d rather us win 12-10 then have to win 26-24 to cover up soft tries like fonua Blake’s last night or the dozen tries of kicks we copped last week.
Thats my only real dissapointment so far with CC. He was supposed to be the defence guru, and I am with you because all the premiers have great D and average well below 15 points per game. I think one of the years that the Panthers won it was 8.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What are the chances of two highly experienced coaches in Griffin and Sheens getting a spoon over a rookie in his first year?

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
CC will change nothing, wilson comes off for JAC
That’s all good stuff, however the immediate problem is in the forwards. Shuffling the deck chairs in the backs is not going to change things without some drastic action up front. Not sure if this is an issue we can deal with this year with the current roster or not. I hope we can.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that we’re making the 8, but I’d start now with
1 Kiraz
2. Fox
3 Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Wilson (id say Skelton but this kid did well)
6. Oloapu
7. Burton

14. Skelton (Reynolds is Reggies)
15. Okunbor

Averillo is tempting for FB, but he’s been going so well at centre it’d just fk with his head thinking Crichton is coming next year to play FB. Let him learn the centre role for a good year.

Kiraz I reckon could do a job, and he’d know he’s gonna be on a wing next year anyway.

NO BONES ABOUT IT THOUGH, our forwards are our real issue!!

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So either of you don’t think forwards going forward, running good lines, breaking the line, effective offloads, not making handling errors, not missing tackles and putting the halves in good positions would help a fullbacks game?
I get what you’re saying but I’m just saying that I don’t think Perham has the basics right for fullback play. Even if he was in the Penrith side I don’t think he’d show much better form than he is now. You can’t blame the forwards for him not contesting kicks or being in the right spot or making the last line tackle or throwing stupid passes that hit the opposition player. He is struggling with a lot of the basics of the game. It looks like he has no idea in attack when we have an overlap on. He looks confused and often runs the wrong way or steps back in and gives the opposition time to reset

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We also need to re think our gang tackling technique. I assume we are being coached to defend by not going low in a gang tackle, perhaps due to the potential for concussions, however the current approach is also not working.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ciraldo dropped Flano and moved Burton. He dropped Casey. I think he learnt his lesson playing Okunbor on the wing.
He's not restricted to picking top 30 and after watching the presser I reckon he'll make some changes.
Even the body language with Reed during the presser looked cold like Reed missed his assignment.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We also need to re think our gang tackling technique. I assume we are being coached to defend by not going low in a gang tackle, perhaps due to the potential for concussions, however the current approach is also not working.
Yeah last 2 weeks pretty much the same. Dont know if its hip drop related or what but we cant continue to let teams roll 70 metres upfield.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the game being televised anywhere or can we catch a replay somewhere???? Stuck at kids sport today, can't watch live.
It's being streamed in nswrl FB page, not sure if it can be rewatched

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Avo F/B
Kiraz Centre
Skelton Wing
Alamonti Centre
JAC/Wilson Wing

Perhaps - Reserve Grade wing
Avo to FB is probably a bad idea. Barrett couldn't decide what to do with him and spent his tenure screwing him over by constantly moving him. We don't need a return to that. He's a young kid with a lot of talent. He needs stability, to grow in to a role and build confidence. He's starting to really find his feet at Centre and should be allowed to continue, unless there are plans for him to play FB long term, which seems doubtful. That's not to say he wouldn't do a job for us at FB, just that it's not what's in the best interest of the club's future or his.
We are lacking cohesion but, if we absolutely HAVE to break up our edge combinations, I'd move Kiraz to FB. Kiraz seems more self possessed than Avo and in less need of development. He's good under the high ball, has 0 qualms about hitting the line at speed and never gives less than 100%, so you know he'll always be there for support play.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Avo to FB is probably a bad idea. Barrett couldn't decide what to do with him and spent his tenure screwing him over by constantly moving him. We don't need a return to that. He's a young kid with a lot of talent. He needs stability, to grow in to a role and build confidence. He's starting to really find his feet at Centre and should be allowed to continue, unless there are plans for him to play FB long term, which seems doubtful. That's not to say he wouldn't do a job for us at FB, just that it's not what's in the best interest of the club's future or his.
We are lacking cohesion but, if we absolutely HAVE to break up our edge combinations, I'd move Kiraz to FB. Kiraz seems more self possessed than Avo and in less need of development. He's good under the high ball, has 0 qualms about hitting the line at speed and never gives less than 100%, so you know he'll always be there for support play.
Yes agree on Avo. I amended in a later post after seeing Wilson f/b vid. Avo doesnt relish the contact but Wilson seems to...at least in that lesser comp. He went well yesterday.
1. Wilson
2. Kiraz
3. Avo
4. Ala
5. JAC
6. Burto
7. Rajab/KO
14. KO/Rajab

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not that we’re making the 8, but I’d start now with
1 Kiraz
2. Fox
3 Alamoti
4. Averillo
5. Wilson (id say Skelton but this kid did well)
6. Oloapu
7. Burton

14. Skelton (Reynolds is Reggies)
15. Okunbor

Averillo is tempting for FB, but he’s been going so well at centre it’d just fk with his head thinking Crichton is coming next year to play FB. Let him learn the centre role for a good year.

Kiraz I reckon could do a job, and he’d know he’s gonna be on a wing next year anyway.

NO BONES ABOUT IT THOUGH, our forwards are our real issue!!
I like the Backline and supporting Kiraz to the back if he is 100 percent fit. He may still get caught out so perhaps Wilson and Kiraz sharing the role would work for the next month. Reynolds needs to go back to the NSW Cup. Front Row we very slim here without a doubt. Would love us to go for a Tui Kamikamica..

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes agree on Avo. I amended in a later post after seeing Wilson f/b vid. Avo doesnt relish the contact but Wilson seems to...at least in that lesser comp. He went well yesterday.
1. Wilson
2. Kiraz
3. Avo
4. Ala
5. JAC
6. Burto
7. Rajab/KO
14. KO/Rajab
Yeah, Wilson seems like a keeper. Caught him a couple of times, in NSW Cup and the trials, and thought he looked pretty good. Glad to see him get his shot.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree

The Reynolds fairytale needs to end we are too old for fairytale

Straight swap Perham and Avo has merit
I disagree. Perham is a hog and will just get in the way. He is unfortunately disillusioned in relation to his ability. Constantly involves himself however his decision making is constantly poor and while he has speed he isn’t able to use it and is simply not agile or creative enough.

Just needs to be out of the team.

Docta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ciraldo dropped Flano and moved Burton. He dropped Casey. I think he learnt his lesson playing Okunbor on the wing.
He's not restricted to picking top 30 and after watching the presser I reckon he'll make some changes.
Even the body language with Reed during the presser looked cold like Reed missed his assignment.
I agree. I think there will be changes. Clearly they wanted to build a positive culture which meant staying with underperforming players and not dropping them. However you can see CC is moving away at that and is now looking more annoyed at team performances. Gus is also someone who is passionate and will only tolerate incompetence for so long. I think Gus has tried not to meddle with CC and the team but it’s unlike him to be a spectator for a long time. He will become more involved with CC and team selection.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying but I’m just saying that I don’t think Perham has the basics right for fullback play. Even if he was in the Penrith side I don’t think he’d show much better form than he is now. You can’t blame the forwards for him not contesting kicks or being in the right spot or making the last line tackle or throwing stupid passes that hit the opposition player. He is struggling with a lot of the basics of the game. It looks like he has no idea in attack when we have an overlap on. He looks confused and often runs the wrong way or steps back in and gives the opposition time to reset
He’s a stop gap measure until next year, always out of position etc but I still stand by the forwards need to make things easier for him, not harder