Opinion Ciraldo is a genius

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the problem with having an open forum, you get individuals that may not even have reached puberty commenting and you have others like me that remember the Hughes and Mortimer families playing and some even older :grinning:. So I guess we have to expect the extremes in everything.

I think some people get sad/depressed when the dogs aren't doing that well and they want someone to blame, I am sure the last ~6 seasons have not helped, and some individuals have a hair trigger.

I am still a believer that the last 6 years have helped us get to where we are going to end up, and that the team we have now, and the staff such as Gus and CC are only on board because of the things we have gone through. Without Andersons coming and going we would unlikley have Gus and therefore CC. But some people still refuse to see Gus and CC as a positive, when we win sure... but first loss and its Sack Ciraldo, he is as bad as Baz, just another assistant from Penrith.

Many people these days want someone to blame and will not accept that they can be wrong. So they will jump at the chance when they can throw in the Sack Ciraldos and 'Assistants' and will wait for the next opportunity to do it again.

With regard to selections, people are calling out now for KO to come in for Flanno, while Ciro is taking a slightly longer path. Ciro will eventually bring him in and if he is successful those will say I have been calling out for it for weeks/months, and would never consider the reason he was successful was because Ciro waited for the right time to bring him in. Also, if he is unsuccessful, others will be calling it a failure of Ciraldo and how the dogs have destroyed another promising player like Mbye and Averillo.

I am comfortable in accepting that Ciraldo knows more about the players at the club than I do, and that he is a better first grade coach than I. He also does things for a reason, even if most people don't know what that reason is. It is also not his job to explain those reasons to everyone, especially if it involves players sensitive ego's, or a developing strategy.

I also know that we cannot win every game, and that consistency is one of the biggest challenges for a young team. We are hoping that our team develops some resiliency and is able to shake of errors and/or bad decisions and get on with the game. Maybe as a supporter base we should look in the mirror.
Now that's sad, and some people, like me, are so old I went to school with Mark Hughes when I was 5. Regina Coeli, Beverly Hills, then St Johns then Bentley, he obviously was stalking me. Both old farts now.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that's sad, and some people, like me, are so old I went to school with Mark Hughes when I was 5. Regina Coeli, Beverly Hills, then St Johns then Bentley, he obviously was stalking me. Both old farts now.
I meant Benilde Bankstown. I hate pre entative spell check and at 0300 I can't be bothered checking my pros.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have confidence in Ciro and happy he is at the club coaching and guiding.

However that does not mean that he is above criticism or that he can do the job better when/if he makes a poor decision.

It's all subjective and even the greatest coaches get criticised and its only natural for fans to have their own opinions.

We are all loyal Dogs fans and only want whats best for the club.

I can see green shoots towards success but I will be holding off thinking Ciraldo is the next coaching messiah after 5 games. If others want to go all in at this stage, that's their perogative.

Only my opinion and I have no problem with those who think otherwise. If we all agreed the TK would be a dull ol' place and not have any traffic.

This does not of course apply to the nay sayers and continuously negative ranters who offer nothing but pessimism.

The club is on the up and that is all that matters to us supporters.
Wendy,

I think we are mostly on the same page, disagreements and criticisms are one thing but saying Sack Ciraldo, Ciraldo can't coach, doesn't know what he is doing, calling him the Assistant and such things is a little different. He is a rookie coach, he is going to make mistakes, but I think he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt, that maybe he has reasons for the decisions he makes, and he just hasn't lost his marbles. But that is just me.

Take this weeks team for example, I would have gone in a different direction, I would have had Waddell at lock and Topine starting right edge, but I am not going to call him names because I disagree. I accept that Ciro may be looking for something different than what I am, and Edwards & Waddell may be what he is looking for and can do that job.

Yes, we all think differently, that is one of the reasons why they say collaboration is so important these days, but just because someone thinks differently or has a different opinion to your own doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing, or justification for insults.

Oh and just because I think temporarily, he has earned benefit of the doubt with his decisions, does not mean I think he is the Coaching Messiah or a Genius. If he makes some bad decisions and he is not learning from them, then things can and should change quickly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wendy,

I think we are mostly on the same page, disagreements and criticisms are one thing but saying Sack Ciraldo, Ciraldo can't coach, doesn't know what he is doing, calling him the Assistant and such things is a little different. He is a rookie coach, he is going to make mistakes, but I think he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt, that maybe he has reasons for the decisions he makes, and he just hasn't lost his marbles. But that is just me.

Take this weeks team for example, I would have gone in a different direction, I would have had Waddell at lock and Topine starting right edge, but I am not going to call him names because I disagree. I accept that Ciro may be looking for something different than what I am, and Edwards & Waddell may be what he is looking for and can do that job.

Yes, we all think differently, that is one of the reasons why they say collaboration is so important these days, but just because someone thinks differently or has a different opinion to your own doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing, or justification for insults.

Oh and just because I think temporarily, he has earned benefit of the doubt with his decisions, does not mean I think he is the Coaching Messiah or a Genius. If he makes some bad decisions and he is not learning from them, then things can and should change quickly.
Agree completely.

Some here are hyper critical of the team and Ciro and at the same time some are 100% in favour of him and sensitive to criticism of him.

My take is he has been fantastic overall and a vast improvement....I think that is evident in all my posts.

However I dont think he has got it 100% right with his selections and bench and feel as supporters it is a fair thing to have our own opinion on this.

If others think he has got it 100% right and no one is allowed to offer a differing view, then thats up to them. I value their opinion but its not ok to say those supporters are wrong to point it out or to castigate for saying so. I have said he is no doubt our long term coach and he himself would be admitting he is still learning.

Essentially I dont know why these viewpoints turn into bs twoing and froing.

We all basicly agree. Ive praised his coaching. Said he has the ultimate decisions to make..not us.. .and there is no reason not to have confidence in him. The only difference is his use of bench and some selections. Some are prepared to accept he is right in his thinking and decisions and some fans believe there is still room for improvement and the team could still be stronger. He changed his use of the bench against Cows and also brought in Reynolds to help with our lack of go forward and points in the last 20 mins...he does realise he needed to do that. We are all just giving our opinions on our team The day we cant do that is the day TK becomes irrelevant.

The one area where I dont think anyone at all could quibble about is his ability to get the best out of the players. Except for Flanno there is not one other player that he hasnt got playing to the best of their ability. That is the ultimate challenge for any coach and he is passing that important aspect with flying colours.

PS Most would say Flanno is playng to the best of his ability and thats another issue for our coach to deal with in good time yet plenty will want that fixed asap too.

Dogahol

Waterboy
Reaction score
He has had some concussion issues and last season he had an extremely dangerous one. He probbaly has doubts and confidence issues which is expected.
He's had several concussions in his short career. I am expecting him to be medically retired some time soon, unfortunately.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's had several concussions in his short career. I am expecting him to be medically retired some time soon, unfortunately.
Yeah he has had many but last year he was out cold and everyone was scared for him and for that reason I’m saying it’s totally understandable if he is hesitant in big collisions and may have confidence issues

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the problem with having an open forum, you get individuals that may not even have reached puberty commenting and you have others like me that remember the Hughes and Mortimer families playing and some even older :grinning:. So I guess we have to expect the extremes in everything.

I think some people get sad/depressed when the dogs aren't doing that well and they want someone to blame, I am sure the last ~6 seasons have not helped, and some individuals have a hair trigger.

I am still a believer that the last 6 years have helped us get to where we are going to end up, and that the team we have now, and the staff such as Gus and CC are only on board because of the things we have gone through. Without Andersons coming and going we would unlikley have Gus and therefore CC. But some people still refuse to see Gus and CC as a positive, when we win sure... but first loss and its Sack Ciraldo, he is as bad as Baz, just another assistant from Penrith.

Many people these days want someone to blame and will not accept that they can be wrong. So they will jump at the chance when they can throw in the Sack Ciraldos and 'Assistants' and will wait for the next opportunity to do it again.

With regard to selections, people are calling out now for KO to come in for Flanno, while Ciro is taking a slightly longer path. Ciro will eventually bring him in and if he is successful those will say I have been calling out for it for weeks/months, and would never consider the reason he was successful was because Ciro waited for the right time to bring him in. Also, if he is unsuccessful, others will be calling it a failure of Ciraldo and how the dogs have destroyed another promising player like Mbye and Averillo.

I am comfortable in accepting that Ciraldo knows more about the players at the club than I do, and that he is a better first grade coach than I. He also does things for a reason, even if most people don't know what that reason is. It is also not his job to explain those reasons to everyone, especially if it involves players sensitive ego's, or a developing strategy.

I also know that we cannot win every game, and that consistency is one of the biggest challenges for a young team. We are hoping that our team develops some resiliency and is able to shake of errors and/or bad decisions and get on with the game. Maybe as a supporter base we should look in the mirror.
Great post and well said.

It takes TIME to build the right culture and all the ingredients required to create a sustainable,successful club that can ride the highs and lows and get some trophies along the way.

Most of us follow other sports as well as NRL, so observe the lessons from these. EPL fans - Arsenal and Mikel Arteta may be the blueprint for us…look at the striking parallels

traditionally strong clubs, lots of success with amazing players 20 years ago, fell on hard times, long term legend coach departs, period of change before appointing a well regarded assistant from the premier club (Man City / Penrith), initial settling in problems (Arsenal fans were calling for Arteta’s sacking less than 2 years ago after they started a season 0-3!).

Look at the Gunners now. Arteta is regarded as the best young manager in the league…2nd only to his mentor, Pep. 12 other managers have been sacked this season.

We can only hope our trajectory (and that of CC) follows a similar path…

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think we can say our coaching setup is finally decent. We fought well against Sharks, a much superior team than us with half our reserve grade playing. And this week it was a danger game, St Merge are usually a lot better at home, and were pretty much full strength. We are still way off full strength and had a bunch of newbies on the bench. Well coached. Sure we arent up to the standard of the top teams yet, but doing pretty good considering we have the longest injury list in the NRL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we can say our coaching setup is finally decent. We fought well against Sharks, a much superior team than us with half our reserve grade playing. And this week it was a danger game, St Merge are usually a lot better at home, and were pretty much full strength. We are still way off full strength and had a bunch of newbies on the bench. Well coached. Sure we arent up to the standard of the top teams yet, but doing pretty good considering we have the longest injury list in the NRL.
Today was proof we are on the way to a premiership. The attitude of a reserve grade team to continually go for 80min against full strength NRL outfits
is enough to say we are premiership contenders in the years to come.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really starting to like Ciraldo you wouldn’t think he is a rookie coach the way he’s handled the injury crisis and had our reserves digging in and really setting that bar of expectation. It’s evident he knows how to get the team up for a game first time in a long time the team is playing for the coach and putting their body on the line. Undeniably he’s implemented a stable coaching set up everyone knows their job and he has everyone playing to their strengths and the effort is notable. Two bad losses, cronulla to a lesser extent and you wouldn’t think it the side looks mentally strong. You can define a good coach when we’re lining up a severely weakened side and we’re putting in a solid performance like today.

EuroNymous

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really starting to like Ciraldo you wouldn’t think he is a rookie coach the way he’s handled the injury crisis and had our reserves digging in and really setting that bar of expectation. It’s evident he knows how to get the team up for a game first time in a long time the team is playing for the coach and putting their body on the line. Undeniably he’s implemented a stable coaching set up everyone knows their job and he has everyone playing to their strengths and the effort is notable. Two bad losses, cronulla to a lesser extent and you wouldn’t think it the side looks mentally strong. You can define a good coach when we’re lining up a severely weakened side and we’re putting in a solid performance like today.
I liked how he hooked Pangai straight away after the dumb error, then brought him back and he just ran straight and hard with no dumb offloads