News Ciraldo declares Johnson 'the difference' as Webster draws first blood in battle of Panthers assistants

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Warriors’ superb start to the season has continued with a Shaun Johnson-inspired turnaround 16-14 win over the Canterbury Bulldogs, though with more than a little help from the Bunker.

Johnson scored with 15 minutes to play, but many thought there had been a clear obstruction on Dogs hooker Reed Mahoney, who was taken out by Addin Fonua-Blake when he might have otherwise made a tackle.

Prior to that, the Warriors had also been stripped of a try by the Bunker after Adam Pompey was ruled to have spilled the footy with Viliame Kikau’s hand in the tackle.

Regardless of the controversy, this was another excellent game in what is fast becoming the best start to a season of the NRL era, and was deservedly won by a reborn, resilient Warriors side under Andrew Webster, who got one over on fellow former Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo.

The Kiwis trailed midway through the second half thanks to a superb Josh Addo-Carr breakaway – coming mere seconds after the Pompey no try incident – but showed all their newfound belief to come back and then cling on amid a Bulldogs onslaught.

“I thought he owned the moments today, he took the moments and won us the game,” said Webster of his halfback.

“Shaun’s toughness is what’s most important thing to us. The way he’s tackling, the way he handled (Viliame) Kikau I thought was unbelievable. His kicking game was the difference and that try.”

Johnson had his best game in years, and when asked what the difference between the sides was post-match, Ciraldo simply declared “Shaun Johnson”.

Ciraldo wasn’t overly concerned by the defeat, praising his side’s commitment given an extensive front row injury list that saw Jayden Okunbor play in the middle rotation and Nu Brown depart with a suspected broken arm.

“The grit they showed that whole day was outstanding,” he said. “That’s what the club’s built on and I thought it was the grittiest performance we’ve had.

“Everyone that’s come into our team has done a job. I thought Jayden Okunbor today was outstanding, he’s spent a lot of time in the backs over the last few years.

“For him to come in and play in the middle… I thought he was one of our best players.”

This was billed as the battle of the former Panthers assistants, but instead, it might have been better to see it as attack v defence.

Andrew Webster highly prioritised the defensive resolve of his side when he returned to New Zealand to take the top job, and has been more than successful in the first three rounds of 2023.

Cameron Ciraldo was seen as being responsible for Penrith’s linespeed in the last few years, but had a different approach with the Dogs, who have historically struggled to score points in recent years.

Ciraldo admitted last weekend that he has endeavoured to keep some of Mick Potter’s attacking philosophy on board, and that makes sense: Potter revitalised the Dogs’ offence after taking interim control following the sacking of Trent Barrett last year, and Ciro has retained him on staff as an assistant.

The hallmarks of the best Canterbury performances last year were a willingness to go wide early, and that was in full effect today with the first Dogs try a quick shift to Jacob Kiraz and the second an expansive movement from inside their own half from a scrum that saw Addo-Carr streak clear.

The Warriors defence had no answer on either occasion, but their game plan kicked in as the game wore on.

Possession mounted, they completed high and while it was hardly scintillating footy, it was enough to grab one extra try – admittedly with the help of some generous refereeing on an obstruction call – and then defend for their lives.

With eight to play, they faced multiple repeat sets on their line and repelled them all, with Jackson Ford denying Ryan Sutton with a superb tackle.

The Canterbury Fade

Every team likes to say that they’ve been training the house down, they’re the fittest they’ve ever been, teh staff have whipped them into excellent shape and all that stuff.

But the proof is in the performances and, for Canterbury, that doesn’t seem to be the case. This Bulldogs team are far from an 80-minute side at the moment and, indeed, are the only team in the comp yet to score in the last 20 minutes of a match.

Against Manly, they never got a sniff but could point to a sin bin and could point out that it was Round 1. The next week in Melbourne, they were defending for their lives to seal the win, with defence the focus over attack.

But Round 3 saw a near-total collapse against the Tigers that almost allowed an unthinkable defeat and today, with the game on the line, the Dogs couldn’t conjure anything late.

It’s hard to say if this is fitness issue or a function of the game state, where the Dogs have been forced to alter their play style to force points. Whatever it is, four weeks in a row is certainly a trend now, and not a good one for Ciraldo.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loss hurts cause we were so close.
Anyway I think based on what the coach is trying to build what doesn’t break us will make us stronger.
Bulldogs to bounce back against the Cowboys

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far definitely a pass for CC but am I missing something with his Okunbor praise? Also hate the Bloke seems so relaxed all the time was all smiles at full time too.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Be good when we get TPJ back then Thommo after that.
Spot on with the last 20mins fade. Really need to fix that up.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be good when we get TPJ back then Thommo after that.
Spot on with the last 20mins fade. Really need to fix that up.
Yep its a huge issue that we havent scored a single point in all 4 games. We had the chance to win it yesterday but that last set on their line was pretty dismal.

Hopefully when we get some middles back we wont have to come off our line as much. That should mean we have a bit more energy in the tank at the end of games.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The last 20 mins stat is an interesting one. The team completely runs out of steam in the final quarter of matches because of our lack of middle forwards and game managers.
Pele hopefully being back will help but I would consider having RFM come off the bench as well. Reynolds on the bench would be risky but his energy and enthusiasm in the last 20 would be a nice change.

Reactions: CCC

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Fox looks fucked after every run he takes. Even straight after the break.
Pity we didn’t have any luck with Tom Duffy from NQ, he looks ready. Would be great on a loan deal.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fitness BS is overstated. It's the fact we don't have the forwards to dominate for long periods and put fatigue into the opposition's pack. Also using the backs on every carry in our own half is really going to bite at the end of games when points are needed. We are not Penrith. Look at Kiraz yesterday. He looked like he'd been in a war with nothing left near the end.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
SJ was digging into the line cos he held no fear of getting whacked

He would be thinking twice if lunatic TPJ was flying at him

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been thinking about it.

I would prefer to lose to warriors in Auckland and beat cows next week at home. Than have it the opposite way around.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So far definitely a pass for CC but am I missing something with his Okunbor praise? Also hate the Bloke seems so relaxed all the time was all smiles at full time too.
That also has me baffled - he doesn’t drive hard and ‘low’ in attack, a little bit of shoulder into the defenders would help, he doesn’t use his shoulders at all in defence. What are the good bits???

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The last 20 mins stat is an interesting one. The team completely runs out of steam in the final quarter of matches because of our lack of middle forwards and game managers.
Pele hopefully being back will help but I would consider having RFM come off the bench as well. Reynolds on the bench would be risky but his energy and enthusiasm in the last 20 would be a nice change.
To come off the bench CC would have to actually let them leave the bench and get on the field….it has me thinking he isn’t dumb so is it we are prepared to lose a few games early too increase overall fitness and not rotate the bench properly???