News Ciraldo’s telling response after hip drop drama strikes Easter Friday clash... again

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It hurts, it really does BUT straight up.... I dont know how i can be positive about it but when was the last time we were sitting there saying "we bombed that game"?

Like seriously the closest we have been in the last few years was, " we should be happy we kept it under 10+.

As u said we left 3 certain tries out there... We should have won comfortably, still better than not even coming close.
Last year against Titans last round and Roosters 1 point loss

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just watched it again... analysed the fcuk out of it.

An unbiased opinion... Contact was extremely minimal as Preston was losing the ball but it was a classic hip drop to stop a try.

Bottomline is Morrin got sin binned for a dangerous tackle, no injury. Wighton's was a dangerous tackle, no injury. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

Should have been sin binned.
1 was a Bulldog player and the other was not

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It couldn’t be more obvious of Suttons intent when he double checked Tracey’s grounding to force the drop out…. We could all see he grounded it, but…. old mate had to scrutinise the fu<k out of it to be sure. It doesn’t happen if it’s Latrell or a Souths player.

And sure as fu<k, if it was Preston or a Dogs player stopping two tries via a hip drop (Wighton) and dangerous tackle contacting the head (Latrell), someone’s in the bin.

There’s plenty on here saying we still had enough ball to win it, and we did, but no one wants to understand the physics of rugby league…when your defending with one less in your line for 10mins, need to reshuffle a back for a forward and burn two interchanges, the players will use up a fair amount of gas which makes it more difficult to execute.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo delivered a telling response after a potential hip drop tackle on backrower Jacob Preston went unpenalised a year on from his controversial sin bin.

Preston was left clutching his ankle in the first half after Rabbitohs superstar Jack Wighton dragged him down, clinging onto his back.

The former Raiders five-eighth escaped sanction as it was deemed Wighton did not land on Preston’s legs.

In the post-match press conference, Cameron Ciraldo was reminded of the furore that was sparked during this same Easter fixture in 2023, with Preston being sent to the bin for a similar tackle.

The NRL world was split on whether Preston’s effort on Rabbitohs flyer Izack Thompson was in fact a hip drop, however he escaped punishment despite being marched off the field.

“Yeah I remember it well, yeah. I remember it,” Ciraldo said.

When asked what he thought of Wighton’s tackle, Ciraldo bit his tongue, but his opinion was clear after he rolled his eyes several times.

“I honestly didn’t see it that closely,” Ciraldo said as he delivered a huge sigh.

“No, I didn’t see it that closely.”

Meanwhile, Dogs forward Kurtis Morrin was sent to the sin bin for an ugly lifting tackle that saw Rabbitohs skipper Cameron Murray land on his shoulder.

Ciraldo was confident referee Gerard Sutton made the right decision, but did suggest an opposition player should have also been marched.

“Yeah it was probably fair, Kurtis tackles low and he just didn’t get it quite right there,” Ciraldo said.

“There wasn’t any malice in it, but it is what it is. Probably got what it deserved but might have been nice to get one of them on the other side.”

Yet another contentious point of this clash was Latrell Mitchell colliding with flyer Josh Addo-Carr, knocking the winger out in the process.

The Rabbitohs fullback’s hip collected Addo-Carr’s head, however he escaped sanction despite being already taken into touch on the stroke of halftime.

Addo-Carr is now set to be sidelined for Round 5 and will be stood down for 11 days under the NRL’s concussion protocols.

“I haven’t seen it too closely, but we lost him for the rest of the game, probably lose him for next week now so not ideal,” Ciraldo said.
It looked like Mitchel led with his knee in trying to stop JAC, didn't se if he made contact though.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We honestly had so many chances but could not finish them off. Preston’s hip drop knock on was one. Burton break no support another. Morris drops it before the line. Kikau obstruction. We should have won that game what a loss of an opportunity
Hutchos pinpoint pass to Connor

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What have you been reading or watching lol
Four Corners 2 weeks ago. Latest crime gang money extortion venture :grinning:

SMH article today:
Uni students cheated on a test and got away with it. Then the blackmail started.
Some Australian graduates are being blackmailed by illegal cheating syndicates largely run by organised crime.

To imagine that these syndicates could not become involved in NRLol is naive.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They didn’t score enough to take it out of the refs hands. It’s shit we don’t get these calls, but it’s been going on for a decade or so now.

Do better in attack, we lost the the team coming last

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I just watched it again... analysed the fcuk out of it.

An unbiased opinion... Contact was extremely minimal as Preston was losing the ball but it was a classic hip drop to stop a try.

Bottomline is Morrin got sin binned for a dangerous tackle, no injury. Wighton's was a dangerous tackle, no injury. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

Should have been sin binned.
The optics of Morrin's tackle would have caused a riot in the stands had he been left on the field. I honestly thought that Sutton was going to send him off. Ten in the bin was a much better result for us - and we kept them to 2 points for the entire ten.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bunker was Adam Gee best referee in the game today, Canterbury junior referee and Bulldogs supporter.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The optics of Morrin's tackle would have caused a riot in the stands had he been left on the field. I honestly thought that Sutton was going to send him off. Ten in the bin was a much better result for us - and we kept them to 2 points for the entire ten.
It was obviously more spectacular but they're both still dangerous tackles.