Ciraldo’s selection headache after storm thriller

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
On SEN today a caller rung in to say we should be playing the clubs best #7 in Sexton..Jimmy Smith basically said that the club's best #7 is Mitch Woods & that we should look to start introducing him into grade sooner rather than later..citing other clubs like Canberra using spine players Chevy Stuart, Ethan Strange, Tiges using Bula & Galvin etc
I guess the downside to this is ( i know he's just started playing SG Ball) Would this be too early in his career & maybe stunt his development if we don't get it right..
I don’t think he is even close to being ready yet. He is a freak though.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree ,I'm not saying he' s ready. it was just interesting though that it's already being discussed in the media as an option...
He is a very, very good talent. Our best half coming through the grades since Thurston.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newcastle will be a challenge..no easy beats...we desperately need to win this game
We dont desperately need to win shit. I dont give a fuck about making finals when we arent ready to actually challenge for the title. Making up numbers in finals is the worst thing.

We are building nicely and should keep building on defence and attack (drop hutch ffs). No game is a must win. Let the wins come as we keep improving. Long term goals gents.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone know if Taafe even trained at Halfback during the off-season? If not then there's no way Ciraldo is going to play him there.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think he is even close to being ready yet. He is a freak though.
I agree ,I'm not saying he' s ready. it was just interesting though that it's already being discussed in the media as an option...
We dont desperately need to win shit. I dont give a fuck about making finals when we arent ready to actually challenge for the title. Making up numbers in finals is the worst thing.

We are building nicely and should keep building on defence and attack (drop hutch ffs). No game is a must win. Let the wins come as we keep improving. Long term goals gents.
Very good idea, players have had their carriers destroyed due to been played to young
Many years ago the St George, hid the great up and comming centre "Reg the magic dragon" in the lower grades untill he was ready, and I'm fairly certain Gasnier played for Australia in his first year in grade.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know if Taafe even trained at Halfback during the off-season? If not then there's no way Ciraldo is going to play him there.
His bulldogs profile says “halfback” as his position, and he did play a bit in jnrs there I think. I suggested in another thread that we push him down to reserves as a halfback and get him back in the groove. He’ll have 2 weeks at hb, including a bye. Our team last week, despite hutch being there, I think should be able to battle it out with a ponga-less knights team

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
May as well give my boy a go at 7, I mean he’s got the best directing skills, that alone is a BIG UP!!!

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On SEN today a caller rung in to say we should be playing the clubs best #7 in Sexton..Jimmy Smith basically said that the club's best #7 is Mitch Woods & that we should look to start introducing him into grade sooner rather than later..citing other clubs like Canberra using spine players Chevy Stuart, Ethan Strange, Tiges using Bula & Galvin etc
I guess the downside to this is ( i know he's just started playing SG Ball) Would this be too early in his career & maybe stunt his development if we don't get it right..
This! Although I’d try O’Neill first, other clubs have never been afraid of playing an 18 year old but we always have been reluctant to try one

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
this is the problem with players like Ethan strange etc great players but can they sustain year on year playing. Remember teams don’t have much video reviews on all these new players to be able to counter him. His true form will be next year when people can review the players season and put a plan next year to stop them. I think we just need to keep nurturing the young ones and when they are ready it will show itself to all involved in the club

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One showed glimpses of being a good first grader then got injured, the other proved not to be up to grade. 50% success rate ain’t too bad trying to rebuild a club

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
His bulldogs profile says “halfback” as his position, and he did play a bit in jnrs there I think. I suggested in another thread that we push him down to reserves as a halfback and get him back in the groove. He’ll have 2 weeks at hb
This makes sense.
Everyone that thinks you can just slot Blake Taaffe into halfback after zero off season training in the position is living in a fantasy land.
Even if he plays for 6 weeks at halfback in Cup he’s still not gonna get the defensive combinations with the inside/outside players that are playing in first grade.
We’ve been so much better defensively this season and Hutch’s role in that is undervalued.
Sex and Taaffe are smaller bodies and will be targeted in defence.
So what we would gain in offensive upside will be lost if we’re conceding an extra 2 tries a game.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This game we have is a 4 point game for us it’s must win which puts us in the 8 we will beat Newcastle at home Accor this week then we have the bye and following we have the tigers this is a very vital couple of weeks lock ponga up and should be fine we will win it puts us in the 8 as I can see the ladder I would say it puts us at position 6 or 7 on the ladder

I don’t think Ciro will drop Tracey at all he can play so
Many positions it’s a good thing to
Have he will put his best 17 on keep some boys fresh off the bench and go for it

Last edited:
Reactions: J_B

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Strange has a world class front row and a veteran game managing halfback who excels at that partnering him with lots of old heads around to help him. That isn’t the case here