Religious Discussion Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Catholic Church does not officially opress any minority, some inividual Catholics might but you cant blame the whole Church for it. The whole gay push including Gay marriage came about because Gays were continually beaten up in the streets, so it was a way for them to become reconised and accepted.
Every Instution has its own set of rules, which may not be totally compatable with the Law of the land. The NRL has its rules also, because it can fine players for posting explicet photos on social media.
The Catholic Church believes that Gay sex is a serious sin, practicing Gays should not go to communion, THIS IS OFFICIAL CHURCH TEACHING.
Now with 48,000 Christians demonitians in the US alone, and the number growing at the rate of 1,000 a year, I'm certain that there are some demonations even in Australia who would be glad to bless their marriage.
I hope we Catholics are not blamed for beating up Gays. I believe that the Gays were beaten up by our lowlife (white trash) who generall don't care about God or Religion.
Sure, but as I said, violence isn't the only form of oppression.

During the same-sex marriage plebiscite the Catholic Church released several statements asking its parishioners to vote against same-sex marriage.

I completely understand the church refusing to carry out a same-sex marriage ceremony, but voting against it is the Church saying that marriage belongs to them and others should not have the right to marriage.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had similar experiences unfortunately. Some of the worst people I've met are devoutly religious. But some of the best people I've met are devoutly religious.

I think it just shows that it isn't religion that makes a person good or bad. It's the person.
Yes, 100% some of the nicest people are those of faith (any faith) but don't say much about it, their actions speak louder than any god botherers words.
Mind you I have known a fair few atheists etc who are just as good, and having religion doesn't mean you have a mortgage on doing right by your fellow.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because apparently it’s the whore of Babylon. And it’s evil

For those that don’t know, there’s three types of Christians: Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants.

In a nutshell Catholics and Orthodox are very similar and hold fast to apostolic traditions, and have the same 7 sacraments(Eucharist, confession, Holy Orders etc etc). They used to be One church until the great schism in the year 1054 AD where the orthodox went their own way. They differ on the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, purgatory and many other things.

Then you have the Protestants who split from Catholicism in the year 1517 when Martin Luther decided to start his own church now called the Lutheran church. From that first split many other splinter groups broke away such as the Calvinist, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Pentecostal and hundreds more. Further groups broke away like the Anglicans when King Henry VIII who was Catholic wanted to leave his wife and have his marriage annulled but the Pope at that time wouldn’t allow it so King Henry started the Anglicans. Even further splinter groups broke away, then in the late 1970’s in America a wave of Christians known as the “Born Agains” began to emerged and spread and classified themselves as non-denominational. Today you have at least 33,000 different Protestants denominations including Hillsong, C3 Church and many many others who all claim to have the truth but in reality they all differ in at least one teaching otherwise you wouldn’t have breakaway churches. The only thing that unites them is that they all denounce the Pope of Rome as the head of the church on earth. Most of these Protestant churches hold to the common belief between each other of Sola Scriptura(Bible Alone), Sola Fida(Faith Alone). They don’t believe in confession, the Eucharist, the communion of saints, purgatory, the Papacy, Relics, and do not believe that Baptism has any real effect on one’s salvation. Usually but not all the time they have a bare cross as their symbol of faith and not a crucifix like the Catholics and Orthodox. Reciting the Hail Mary prayer is a big no no. Most Protestants do not have any holy statues in their homes because they believe that it’s idol worship. Many of these Protestants claim that only Jesus is the founder of their church and no one else, and point their finger at Catholics and Orthodox as man made religions. But little do they know each and everyone of these Protestant churches including those who claim they are non-denominational all have a human man made founder.

Do me a favor Kelpie, do a google search and type in “Founder of the Catholic Church” and tell me what pops up?
I did brother dogwhisperer; theres a lot of stuff to go throught there, I look at some more later on.
AS for emperior Constantine he made Christianity legal in Rome. and his wife had a lot to do with spreading the faith
I would accept the fact that is was then that Christianity was officially established as a religion, prior to then Christian desides paying homage to Christ had a lot of trouble trying to stay alive, Crucificions, beheadings, been burned on a grill aka St Laurance, and the lions etc etc.
Thats why records of the early Popes after St Peter are a bit hazey, few would have lasted long enough to even be appointed.
As for protestants, my experience with them is that they found Catholic (teachings or Rules to hard for them) so what do they do.
They start their own Religion and deep down say. Lord I want to believe in you, but I want you to agree with me in everything I do.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I did brother dogwhisperer; theres a lot of stuff to go throught there, I look at some more later on.
AS for emperior Constantine he made Christianity legal in Rome. and his wife had a lot to do with spreading the faith
I would accept the fact that is was then that Christianity was officially established as a religion, prior to then Christian desides paying homage to Christ had a lot of trouble trying to stay alive, Crucificions, beheadings, been burned on a grill aka St Laurance, and the lions etc etc.
Thats why records of the early Popes after St Peter are a bit hazey, few would have lasted long enough to even be appointed.
As for protestants, my experience with them is that they found Catholic (teachings or Rules to hard for them) so what do they do.
They start their own Religion and deep down say. Lord I want to believe in you, but I want you to agree with me in everything I do.
That kind of goes for a lot of Christian religions now. They just find ways to justify a difference between the direct teachings and what they believe or practice.

For example, there's very few churches that follow the creation timeline of the bible (young earth creation), but it's written off as a metaphor.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes, especially the rules in regards to below the belt activities if you know what I mean.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That kind of goes for a lot of Christian religions now. They just find ways to justify a difference between the direct teachings and what they believe or practice.

For example, there's very few churches that follow the creation timeline of the bible (young earth creation), but it's written off as a metaphor.
I am swayed toward the young earth view, however doctrines such the age of the earth, certain facets of eschatology (end times), doctrines regarding gifts of the spirit etc are considered minor doctrines meaning they have no bearing on salvation, while these doctrines are somewhat still important we are taught to be 'open but cautious' in regard to the discussion of such topics as the arguments they can cause are not worth disunity in the church.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am swayed toward the young earth view, however doctrines such the age of the earth, certain facets of eschatology (end times), doctrines regarding gifts of the spirit etc are considered minor doctrines meaning they have no bearing on salvation, while these doctrines are somewhat still important we are taught to be 'open but cautious' in regard to the discussion of such topics as the arguments they can cause are not worth disunity in the church.
This is true. I remember when Pope Francis said that the Big Bang and evolution possibly happened and weren't restricted by Catholic Doctrine. I believe his words were something along the lines of, "God didn't create the Universe with a magic wand"

But even after he said that, he was criticised because that still suggests that the first created man, in his first form, had intelligence. And that doesn't gel with the theories of evolution.

I don't think it's exclusive though. If you take creation as metaphor for a population that obviously wouldn't understand it, then you have to consider that human life could also be developed through evolution.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is true. I remember when Pope Francis said that the Big Bang and evolution possibly happened and weren't restricted by Catholic Doctrine. I believe his words were something along the lines of, "God didn't create the Universe with a magic wand"

But even after he said that, he was criticised because that still suggests that the first created man, in his first form, had intelligence. And that doesn't gel with the theories of evolution.

I don't think it's exclusive though. If you take creation as metaphor for a population that obviously wouldn't understand it, then you have to consider that human life could also be developed through evolution.
I personally don't take the creation account as a metaphor as I consider creation text to be quite specific, but that's my view, as you have said many hold a very different view.

I'm always open to look at arguments for any view, however I like everyone else look at these things with a presupposition based on previous life experience - whether that be culture, previous study, ideals etc

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I personally don't take the creation account as a metaphor as I consider creation text to be quite specific, but that's my view, as you have said many hold a very different view.

I'm always open to look at arguments for any view, however I like everyone else look at these things with a presupposition based on previous life experience - whether that be culture, previous study, ideals etc
As one should. I take it from a scientific point of view. Which basically says that there's nearly zero chance the earth could be younger than 4 million years. But there's always some margin for error. And young earth isn't the strangest possibility.

There's a possibility that we all live in a computer simulation. There's also a possibility that we are all just figments of the imagination of one person. Anything is possible.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, especially the rules in regards to below the belt activities if you know what I mean.
Yes I know exactly what you mean, it an area where many who say they believe in God, but want to live by their own rules, it just dosen't make sence to me.
Perhaps people should consider the fact that if they like living in Australia, they have to live by its laws or pay a penalty.
Its would be funny if those who chose by that I mean (SERIOUSLY CHOSE) to believe that JC was the Son of God did not realise that the risk /reward of following his teachings is MUCH MUCH MUCH greater, than living on earth and dealing with man's laws.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, but as I said, violence isn't the only form of oppression.

During the same-sex marriage plebiscite the Catholic Church released several statements asking its parishioners to vote against same-sex marriage.

I completely understand the church refusing to carry out a same-sex marriage ceremony, but voting against it is the Church saying that marriage belongs to them and others should not have the right to marriage.
Your last part is wrong, the Catholic Church's teachings on marriage only applies to Catholics.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your last part is wrong, the Catholic Church's teachings on marriage only applies to Catholics.

"Australians are being asked to vote in the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey (plebiscite) to determine whether the legal definition of marriage should be changed to include same-sex unions. Ballot papers will be sent out from Tuesday, 12 September and all votes must be received back by Tuesday, 7 November 2017.

This brochure provides an overview of Pope Francis’ teaching on marriage and the family for you to reflect upon.

Please consider voting to keep marriage as a unique relationship between a woman and a man"

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is in addition to statements from the Catholic Bishops, Archbishops, Archdiocese and other church leaders in Australia all asking/encouraging parishioners to vote against same-sex marriage

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Literally the Catholic Church encouraging their followers to discriminate against homosexuals.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Gospel you read in the Bible is written by men. They are sinners and corruptible just like you and I.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are men. They are not God.

Catholics don’t use Matthew 16:18-19 to demonstrate the Church is Catholic. This passage is used to demonstrate that Jesus established a Church with an authoritative head of the church. He didn’t say “You are Bible and on this Bible I will build my church” he said “You are Peter(Rock in Greek) and on this Rock I will build my church” clearly Jesus was establishing His Church on man, it cannot be interpreted any other way. But man is corrupt right? You see it was the church that brought forward the bible, the bible didn’t bring forth the church. The whole entire New Testament never existed as we see it today until 400 years after Christ. So how did Christians practice their faith without a bible until the 5th Century? It was through church tradition. The Bible is part of this tradition. Many councils were held in the realm of the Catholic Church and it’s bishops such as the council of Hippo, the council of Nicea and the council of Carthage until an agreement was made on which 27 books out of hundreds that were looked at and studied by Catholic bishops until it was officially ratified in the 5th Century by men. Yes men. Anyone who claims to be Christian and claims that the Bible is their sole rule of authority needs to ask themselves this question: How can I trust the Bible if I can’t trust the organization who put the Bible together?

P.S I humbly seek the truth of my faith and do my own research into history before I post anything.

God bless
If our Lord chose those men I don't consider them as us "mankind" if you get me.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Is it bad that I don't give a rat's arse how old the Earth is? Or if it's a globe or flat or hollow or a pyramid?

We have better things to worry about

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If our Lord chose those men I don't consider them as us "mankind" if you get me.
According to the bible, God chose each government, and the bible asks you to obey the government based on that. So maybe some things aren't as relevant today.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to the bible, God chose each government, and the bible asks you to obey the government based on that. So maybe some things aren't as relevant today.
Plenty of the bible isn't relevant to 2022, these ideals are out of date and this is where we clash.