Soccer Chelsea F.C Super Thread

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Using your logic displayed in the Gunners thread, Chelsea would be nothing if Roman didn't buy them.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Using your logic displayed in the Gunners thread, Chelsea would be nothing if Roman didn't buy them.
Every club needs a rich owner just like arsenal they have a rich guy from overseas, if it was not for him arsenal would not be at the top of the epl and ozil would still be at real madrid.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Every club needs a rich owner just like arsenal they have a rich guy from overseas, if it was not for him arsenal would not be at the top of the epl and ozil would still be at real madrid.
Unlike Chelsea, Arsenal have been self sufficient and dont need handouts.

Arsenal bought Ozil from cash sales of Fabregas and Van Glassy

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unlike Chelsea, Arsenal have been self sufficient and dont need handouts.

Arsenal bought Ozil from cash sales of Fabregas and Van Glassy
They have not been self sufficient. Arsenal have a rich owner i think he is from dubai and is pouring millions into the club which your coach is just not spending. Arsenal lost van persie, fabregas, nasri etc because they did not have the money to keep them.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
They have not been self sufficient. Arsenal have a rich owner i think he is from dubai and is pouring millions into the club which your coach is just not spending. Arsenal lost van persie, fabregas, nasri etc because they did not have the money to keep them.
What Dubai owner?

January 2012 arsenal announced a 50m profit all because of the sale of their players.

The only reason why they didn't keep their players because they left for glory elsewhe re

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What Dubai owner?

January 2012 arsenal announced a 50m profit all because of the sale of their players.

The only reason why they didn't keep their players because they left for glory elsewhe re
I can't remember where i read it but arsenal have a very rich owner just like chelsea do but your coach does not spend money and buy heaps of talent.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I can't remember where i read it but arsenal have a very rich owner just like chelsea do but your coach does not spend money and buy heaps of talent.
They have Usmanov and some other american guy as their investors but they dont output cash to the club like chelsea or man shitteh do...

Arsenal have a strict wage and transfer policy, constant CL qualification, commercial and stadium revenue which is why they nave made themselves self sufficient and not relying on hand outs from sugar daddies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
PRE-MATCH BRIEFING: CHELSEA V MANCHESTER CITY

Chelsea's home game against Manchester City closes this weekend's fixtures and a day ahead of the game, club historian Rick Glanvill and club statistician Paul Dutton complete their look ahead to the game…

WE HAVE HISTORY
Manchester City have scored in just two of their last 11 matches at Stamford Bridge and won two top-flight league games at Stamford Bridge in 21 attempts over 35 years.

However, they have won seven of the last 10 meetings between the clubs since December 2009, and won four and drawn one of the last five games in all competitions since we won at Stamford Bridge in December 2011.

One of the last matches at Stamford Bridge before the arrival of Roman Abramovich in summer 2003 was the visit of Kevin Keegan's Manchester City on 22 March. The hosts lay in fourth place following back-to-back defeats a week earlier but a 2-0 win at West Brom restored confidence in a top-four finish and a chance to qualify for the Champions League.

Bottom-half City harboured few such ambitions but had plenty of experience in the likes of Peter Schmeichel, Robbie Fowler and Shaun Goater, although Steve Howey had refused to travel once he was informed he would do so as a substitute.

The visitors held out for 36 minutes, at which point Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink reached Gianfranco Zola's teasing near-post cross ahead of Sylvain Distin and prodded past Schmeichel.

Five minutes later it was 2-0, John Terry jumping unimpeded by markers to meet Graeme Le Saux's corner with an emphatic header from close range.

The tide mostly flowed the same way after the break, although Niclas Jensen might have restored City's interest when he shot wide of an open goal. Soon the Pensioners were in total control when Terry flicked on Hasselbaink's corner for Mario Stanic to sweep into the net.

Frank Lampard made it four after neat interplay with Joe Cole left Schmeichel stranded and with 10 minutes remaining William Gallas completed the rout, tapping in Lampard's cross. Sun Jihai's late second yellow finished off a wonderful afternoon for the home crowd.

Chelsea ended the 2002/03 season in a Champions League qualifying place; City finished ninth.

Our last 10 league meetings at Stamford Bridge
2003/04 - Chelsea won 1-0
2004/05 - Drew 0-0
2005/06 - Chelsea won 2-0
2006/07 - Chelsea won 3-0
2007/08 - Chelsea won 6-0
2008/09 - Chelsea won 1-0
2009/10 - Man City won 4-2
2010/11 - Chelsea won 2-0
2011/12 - Chelsea won 2-1
2012/13 - Drew 0-0

Other matches last season
12 August 2012 FA Community Shield, Villa Park
Man City……..….…3 Chelsea………..……2
Y Toure 52 Torres 39
Tevez 58 Bertrand 79
Nasri 64
Att: 36,394

24 February 2013 Barclays Premier League
Man City……..…..…2 Chelsea………..……0
Y Toure 62
Tevez 85
Att: 47,256

14 April 2013 FA Cup semi-final, Wembley
Man City……..…..…2 Chelsea………..……1
Nasri 34 Ba 66
Aguero 47
Att: 85,621

Chelsea v Manchester City in all competitions
Games played 147
Chelsea wins 61
City wins 49
Draws 37

Head to head in the League at Stamford Bridge
Games played 68
Chelsea wins 34
City wins 13
Draws 21

Biggest league win at Stamford Bridge for each team
27/10/2007 - Chelsea 6-0 Manchester City
16/09/1978 - Chelsea 1-4 Manchester City

DAYS SINCE
Chelsea dropped points at Stamford Bridge: 172
Man City had a score draw in the Premier League: 266
Arsenal won a trophy: 3,081
Liverpool won the league: 8,576

TACTICAL BRIEF
The second meanest defence in the Barclays Premier League, Chelsea's, faces top scorers Manchester City on Sunday. Both clubs are in their hottest form of the season so far.

The Pensioners' attack may find opportunities against a shaky City rearguard but the defence will face a far sterner test than against Schalke. The visitors' attacking resources are among the best and most creative in Europe.

There might be a case for the pace, drive and anticipation of David Luiz ahead of Gary Cahill, especially if the Brazilian has learned from his Cardiff error. He also knows how to score against Mancunians.

In Germany midweek, Ryan Bertrand remained on the bench as Cesar Azpilicueta, a right-footer, was rewarded for his bright cameo against the Welsh with a start in place of injured Ashley Cole. With Cole now fit, the most senior of the full-backs is expected to return.

Mourinho has the luxury of in-form strikers. With Demba Ba likely perhaps to start at Arsenal on Tuesday, the choice is probably between Fernando Torres, in his finest form for Chelsea, and Samuel Eto'o, who opened his account last weekend. Ba has scored against City for three different sides but lost on each occasion.

Offensively City have also been very efficient, offering a threat from all over the pitch, with the Argentinean Pablo Zabaleta sometimes approaching his form of two season ago.

They have not been so expert protecting the lead this season with individual lapses proving costly. Joe Hart does not present the impenetrable barrier of two seasons back, shipping nine in his last five matches.

The defensive frailties of the last 15 months haunted them again on Wednesday and they were fortunate to leave Moscow with all three points. For a tall team they can be aerially suspect and have conceded a lot of set-piece goals - two alone against Cardiff - but they also score from them.

It was an impressive victory for Man City at West Ham last weekend, especially following an international break. But it was only their fourth in their last 12 away top-flight games. They have twice lost 3-2 on the road and this is the third of four consecutive away trips for the Mancunians.

They cannot really blame the absence of injured Vincent Kompany for their struggles. Although none of his rivals for the centre-back role displays quite the same level of passing, positioning and professionalism, City have actually fared marginally better in games without their usual skipper this season.

In 283 minutes with him on the pitch the Citizens have conceded five goals in four Premier League games; over the 436 minutes he has been sidelined with groin injuries they have conceded one fewer. Kompany is again ruled out.

The least convincing replacement has been Javier Garcia, who in their 2-3 defeat at Cardiff and again in Moscow, struggled with the switch from his regular midfield role. He was dropped for the Everton game, with the more often benched Joleon Lescott stepping in.

Another experienced centre-back, Martín Demichelis, 32, has been on the treatment table since reuniting with Pellegrini, his former boss at Malaga and River Plate. Some reports suggest he could be available for Sunday.

At Upton Park right-back Micah Richards made his first start in place of Zabaleta since the disastrous 1-3 home defeat by Bayern but Aleksandar Kolarov - who played further forward against the Hammers - could revert.

Striker Edin Dzeko is another who has not seen much action since the successive defeats to Aston Villa and the European champions, but he offers attacking variation with his height and power.

More recently Pellegrini's preferred forward set-up has been Sergio Aguero tucked in behind Alvaro Negredo. Aguero made it seven goals in four games on Wednesday and the pair again linked cleverly.

Whether City have the same tenacious defensive midfield screen as when Gareth Barry and Nigel de Jong were available is debatable. In Gelsenkirchen Chelsea displayed just the kind of efficient counter attacking that can test Pellegrini's side, with Eden Hazard and Oscar in scintillating form.

The 4-4-1-1 formation Pellegrini has settled on (one he used successfully at Villarreal) might mean his side are outnumbered in midfield against some teams and they rely heavily on the powerful, mobile presence of asymmetrical centre midfield pair Yaya Toure and Fernandinho to handle that.

Toure on off days can allow the better teams to overwhelm City's rearguard, but at his best he trundles upfield like a wrecking ball. His Brazilian partner is more urgent, presses high up the field and has conceded the most fouls in his team. Fernandinho and Willian were goalscoring teammates for Shakhtar against Chelsea in last season's Europa League.

A key facet of City's strategy is to maintain possession in their opponents' half, building pressure and providing opportunities for the characteristic short through-passes that unlock defences.

Main exponents of those touches, David Silva and Samir Nasri, generally fill the two wide berths either side of Aguero while Jesus Navas is more of an orthodox winger. James Milner and Jack Rodwell are other options when a more hardworking and defence-aware presence is required.

Jose Mourinho praised the shape and stability John Mikel Obi provided when he came on against Schalke but Frank Lampard and Ramires have looked a good partnership in centre midfield for the Blues.

Meanwhile, Petr Cech quietly reasserted his claim to be the world's best goalie in Gelsenkirchen and makes his 301st Premier League appearance on Sunday, his 445th overall.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully we can come away with the three points and hopefully mata gets some game time and has a real blinder and earns a more prominent role in our squad.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
LAMPARD: SEEKING A BIG WIN

Ahead of our game against Manchester City, Frank Lampard has underlined the importance of securing a first victory of the season against one of the teams expected to be challenging for the Premier League title.

The Blues go into the game unbeaten in seven, and full of confidence following our 3-0 Champions League win against Schalke in midweek, our fourth consecutive victory.

Having already drawn with both Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur this season, though, securing three points against Manuel Pellegrini's side would send out a real statement of intent, as Lampard explained.

'It would be nice, you want to get good results in the big ones, you want to get good results week in, week out and I think we've done that,' he said. 'We've kept ourselves up there even though I don't think we've been flowing, we've got good results.

'I can see us improving and if we work hard we will do, starting with Man City, it's a big game for both clubs.'

The Blues midfielder, who, apart from the Capital One Cup win at Swindon Town, has featured in every game this campaign, saw today's opponents as the biggest threat going into the season and, having watched them win away for the first time last weekend, believes they are beginning to produce the type of football expected of a squad with such talent.

'I didn't count out Man United and I still wouldn't,' added Lampard. 'I've been impressed with Arsenal's start, like everybody, but Man City will be up there without a doubt.

'It will be very tough; I watched their game against West Ham and they played very well. Whether they have a good or bad away record, you're talking about a Man City side that has fantastic individuals and a great team, so I'm sure they'll see it as a chance to carry on from the West Ham performance. With the players they've got we know we're in for a difficult game, but we've also got belief in our own players.'

In recent seasons, Lampard, a driving force from midfield over the years, has adjusted his game slightly. Understandably, he still likes to get forward as often as possible, but with the likes of Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar now given the task of supporting the striker, the 35-year-old more often than not occupies a deeper role.

Having endured a difficult pre-season due to an injury sustained on our tour of Asia, however, he is pleased with the way in which the campaign has started, both on an individual and collective level.

'I missed pre-season which frustrated me; I've never really missed it before and it's always been a base for me, so I feel like at times I'm trying to make up for that, but if you're playing regular games it helps you stay fit,' explained our all-time highest goalscorer.

'The manager's always said about trusting him and him trusting me. I've got complete faith in him, I haven't started every game and I completely respect that, but it's nothing new to what I've had in the last couple of seasons anyway. When you have trust in your manager, I just want to contribute when I play.

'Jose Mourinho has been great for me in my career and to be working under him again, and with the emerging talent here, is a pleasure. I think we've settled, probably since the second half at Tottenham when we lifted our game, and we've had some good results.

'It's easy to talk about having a great team spirit but it's something you have to work on every week, you can't rest or lull because in the Premier League now, if you switch off and lose two games you can lose ground.'

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MOURINHO DEFENDS HIS DEFENCE

With Chelsea's attacking players receiving plenty of plaudits in recent weeks and the goals going in, you could be forgiven for not noticing quite how well our defence have been doing of late, but we have conceded just three times in our last seven matches in all competitions, the ideal complement to the 19 goals we have scored in that time.

The collective errors that lead to Cardiff's opener last weekend were soon forgotten during Tuesday night's immaculate defensive showing against Schalke. Gary Cahill returned to the heart of our defence for that game and strongly contributed as we limited the German side to very few clear-cut opportunities. Jose Mourinho says he has no qualms changing our centre-back pairing from game to game such is his belief in our defensive options.

'I don't have a first pick for the centre of defence. I analyse things week by week, in relation to the way the players perform and to the opponents' characteristics. I try to pick what I think is the best, but sometimes I can be wrong,' Mourinho admitted.

'It's important for every player to know the principles of our play, and to know what to do facing certain situations in a game. The central defenders have to know each other and complement each other, but that is team work. The players that play in front of them are also very important.

'Twenty years ago, you could start the season with two central defenders who play every match - that's not possible any more. A team needs three of four central defenders, and we have that. With (Branislav) Ivanovic we even have five.

'I am confident with them and I trust them all. You can see that because I make changes in big matches and I have no problems to do that because they are all very good players.'

Cahill started in place of David Luiz for the win in midweek, though the 26-year-old did make a late substitute appearance as we closed out the victory. The Brazilian was one of the players at fault for Cardiff's goal last Saturday but Mourinho believes David Luiz is close to finding the consistency that will make him one of the best centre-backs in the world.

'A team and a defensive player need stability. With the talent David Luiz has I think he can reach that stability.

'Sometimes he makes a little mistake, and he has to work on that because it's important for him and for the team, but he has the natural conditions to be a really top defender in the world of football.'

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MOURINHO: KEEPING A BALANCE

Jose Mourinho has been speaking about the unpredictable nature of this season's Barclays Premier League ahead of tomorrow's game against Manchester City.

The Blues go into the game unbeaten in seven and having won four consecutive matches, the last of which coming with a 3-0 Champions League victory against Schalke in Gelsenkirchen.

Our 1-0 reverse at Everton last month, up to now, remains our only defeat in the Premier League, and with tomorrow's opponents having already lost twice - at Cardiff City and Aston Villa - the Portuguese believes there is no such thing as an easy game.

'Everybody knows they (Manchester City) lost a couple of games that normally they wouldn't, but that's football,' he said. 'We also lost against Everton, United lost against West Bromwich Albion and Tottenham lost against West Ham. Arsenal lost at home to Aston Villa so everybody's losing matches, some of them unexpected.

'Everybody's making it tougher; ourselves, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool. City weren't just champions two years ago, they are a squad which is getting better and better and better with huge investment.

'This season, I think we can improve in relation to last season because last season Chelsea, in November and December, were completely far away from the title.

'Tottenham have had fantastic investment, Arsenal are the leaders now, Liverpool are playing one match a week which is a great advantage because it's one thing to play four competitions and another to play in two. The situation this season is hard.'

Having taking over from Roberto Mancini at Eastlands in the summer, it's been a mixed start to the Manuel Pellegrini reign, but while the two surprise defeats may have raised question marks about the consistency of his side, their 4-1 win over Manchester United was heralded in many quarters as the standout performance of the campaign thus far.

Having won away from home for the first time in the Premier League last weekend at Upton Park, they, like ourselves, approach the game in good form.

'They just won two matches away from home, against (CSKA) Moscow and West Ham, they are not easy to win and they won them,' said Mourinho.

'They have two very good teams, one playing and one in the stands. They have a fantastic squad and fantastic players so they are a good team, a really good team.'

The period between now and Christmas is as busy as it is important, with a host of matches being played across three different competitions, but the manager is simply focusing on one game at a time.

'I'm not looking to November or December, I'm looking to tomorrow, and tomorrow is still October,' the Blues boss explained. 'After that we will see what's happening and we will work hard as always.

'We have matches to play, lots of matches, I've just finished our programme for November and it's fantastic. We have six matches plus the Capital One Cup match at the end of October, which makes seven, plus two European matches which makes nine.

'Nine matches in a month, for sure we can't win nine, maybe we draw, maybe we lose, but we must keep the balance, the same way we kept the balance when we lost against Basel. It was not the end of the world because we knew we could change the situation and I think experience helps.'

With so little to choose between the teams at the top of the table currently, the destination of the title come next May could hinge on a whole host of factors, as Mourinho explained.

'Everything and everybody,' he said. 'The medical department that recovers a player one week in advance, the board that gives great support and great stability, the supporters that travel away and support the team, the supporters that at home are very strong in the way they support, the manager that is more or less talented to help the team in some difficult moments and a little bit of luck because that plays a part.'

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ETO'O: SETTLING FAST

Samuel Eto'o, if selected to play against Manchester City tomorrow, will hope for a repeat of the joyous scenes at Stamford Bridge that greeted his first Chelsea goal and the subsequent victory over Cardiff.

The four-time African Player of the Year showed his trademark ability to make the most of a split-second opening last weekend, when he manoeuvred inside opposition centre-back Steven Caulker and flashed a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Despite hundreds of career goals to his name, his maiden strike for his new club was one he certainly appeared to cherish, as did his team-mates.

'I was really pleased with that because as well as it being my first goal for Chelsea, it enabled us to get the advantage over Cardiff,' he confirms, his strike making the score 2-1 which was eventually extended to 4-1. His arm-in-the-air celebration drew comparisons from some with Alan Shearer.

'Maybe, but I wasn't thinking of him at that precise moment!' Eto'o responds.

'I was thinking of my dad who is in hospital and my young sister who has lost a baby in child birth. I was thinking of them and I ran like a madman for all the supporters who were there as well, I was really happy.'

It is now two months since Eto'o signed and if selected tomorrow, he will be involved in his eighth Chelsea game. With the latest round of international fixtures out of the way, we are entering an important and busy period with five games in a fortnight so it is important all new signings are well adapted.

'Bit by bit I've settled,' says Eto'o. 'Change is never easy but I am a citizen of the world and you have to adapt fast because if I am happy, I will also make other people happy.

'There have been no surprises. Not much surprises me in life although I do learn every day.'

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
MATCH REPORT: CHELSEA 2 MANCHESTER CITY 1

Summary
A 90th-minute Fernando Torres goal secured a 2-1 victory over Manchester City at Stamford Bridge in what was an entertaining afternoon in west London.

The game appeared to be heading for a draw after Andre Schurrle's first-half opener had been cancelled out by Sergio Aguero three minutes into the second half, but Torres, a constant thorn in the side of the City defence, pounced on a mix-up between Matija Nastasic and Joe Hart right at the death to seal a fifth successive victory for Jose Mourinho's side.

It's now eight games unbeaten for the Blues as we go from strength to strength. A first victory of the season over a direct rival will aid the confidence in the group no end and we can now look forward to two away games on the horizon, starting with a trip to Arsenal on Tuesday in the Capital One Cup, which is followed by a Premier League game at Newcastle United next Saturday lunchtime.

Team news
Jose Mourinho made one change to the side which beat Schalke 3-0 in midweek, with the returning Ashley Cole replacing Cesar Azpilicueta at left-back. Gary Cahill retained his place in the centre of defence alongside John Terry, ensuring he made his first Premier League start since the 2-0 win over Fulham last month. Fresh from his brace in Gelsenkirchen, Torres was once again chosen to lead the line. A strong Chelsea bench included David Luiz, Juan Mata and Samuel Eto'o.

For the visitors, Pablo Zabaleta came in for Micah Richards at right-back, while in the absence of skipper Vincent Kompany, Martin Demechelis partnered Nastasic, with Javier Garcia playing in a deep midfield role. The in-form Aguero started as the lone striker for Manuel Pellegrini's side.

First half
Both teams went into the game in a rich vein of form and coming off the back of away wins in the Champions League, but it was the Blues who threatened first.

City failed to clear their lines following a Frank Lampard corner and as the ball ran out to Oscar just outside the penalty area, the Brazilian swung a teasing cross to the far post where Cahill arrived. The defender connected well on the volley but he was unable to keep it down. As chances go, it was a decent one, particularly so early in the game.

City, after a slow start, began to get a foothold in the match, and they were seeing plenty of the ball. With Fernandinho and Garcia holding, Yaya Toure, wearing the captain's armband, was deployed in a slightly more advanced role, and they looked to utilise his threat as often as possible.

Both defences, however, were standing firm and goalscoring opportunities at either end were proving hard to come by, but as the half-hour mark approached the pace of the game went up a notch.

Twice in quick succession Torres went close, first from a delightful Ramires cross and soon after when he fired over the bar from close range, the best chance of the game up until that point.

The Spaniard was growing in stature, and in the 32nd minute he lit up Stamford Bridge with a wonderful run, accelerating away from Gael Clichy on the right-hand side, his delivery across goal was inch-perfect and Schurrle arrived to stab home from close range and give us the lead.

It was the German international's first goal for the club, and he knew exactly who to thank, pointing towards Torres as he wheeled away in celebration.

Moments later our lead was almost doubled, and in some style, as Torres, racing away from the chasing City defenders, held the ball up, came inside, and fired a dipping strike beyond the despairing dive of Hart, only to see it come back off the joint and roll away to safety.

It was Mourinho's men with their tails up, but with so many talented players at their disposal City's threat remained, particularly on the break, and four minutes before the break it required a brilliant stop by Petr Cech at his near post to deny Aguero.

Looking to restore parity before half-time, City poured forward in the closing minutes. Toure tried his luck from distance but his strike was always rising and flew into the upper tier of the Shed End.

Second half
It was City who began the second half on the front foot, and three minutes after the restart they were back on level terms.

Silva fed Samir Nasri deep inside our half; the Frenchman looked up and slipped it into the path of Aguero, but while there appeared no imminent danger, the striker crashed an unstoppable effort past Cech and into the roof of the net.

It was Aguero's fifth goal in four games and one that sparked Pellegrini's side into life.

Minutes later Silva was presented with a glorious opportunity to put them in front but, rather than taking the shot on, opted to pass, allowing the Blues to clear the danger, while Garcia was then afforded a free header from a Silva free-kick but could only guide it down and into the arms of Cech.

Our response, however, was a positive one, and after Hazard saw his appeals for a penalty waved away following a challenge by Zabaleta inside the box, Torres went close, seeing his header from Lampard's free-kick saved by Hart.

Now it was the Blues with the momentum, and from another of our quick breaks Garcia was fortunate not to be dismissed for an off-the-ball body-check which took Torres out of the action. City breathed a collective sigh of relief when only a yellow card was produced, and from the resulting free-kick Terry, who deserved credit for reaching Lampard's delivery, could only steer his effort over the bar. At the other end, meanwhile, Cech did brilliantly to thwart Silva with his feet.

Mourinho made a double substitution in the 65th minute, introducing John Mikel Obi and Willian to the action, with Lampard and the goalscorer Schurrle making way, and soon after it was City's turn to change things up as Jesus Navas replaced Nasri.

As the contest entered its final 15 minutes it was flowing from end to end, and as City pressed forward it required a superb tackle from Branislav Ivanovic, who had been outstanding for much of the game, to dispossess Aguero on the edge of our box.

Neither side appeared content to settle for a point, and as we went in search of a potentially decisive strike Ramires fizzed one just over Hart's bar from 25 yards.

Mourinho's intent was underlined seven minutes from time when he made his final switch, bringing Eto'o on at the expense of Hazard.

Four minutes from time we almost won it with a Willian free-kick. The Brazilian bent his strike towards goal, all it needed was a touch but the ball evaded everybody and flew inches past Hart's left-hand post.

There was still time for more drama, though, and in the 90th minute we scored a priceless winner.

A speculative Willian header was aimed at nobody in particular but, under no pressure, Nastasic headed the ball beyond the advancing Hart who had rushed off his line to clear. Torres reacted quickest and raced on to the loose ball, getting there just ahead Demechelis and firing into the empty net to send the home supporters, not to mention the entire Chelsea bench, into a frenzy.

Mourinho celebrated with the fans, the players raced into the far corner and jumped all over the goalscorer. Seldom has a goal been celebrated in such a manner, and it wasn't surprising given the importance of the strike.

City pumped the ball forward in added time in search of a leveller but we defended with bodies on the line and held on for a priceless victory.

'One Step Beyond' by Madness was pumped around the Bridge at the final whistle as players, supporters and management alike celebrated wildly. It was a big win, and one that preserves our 100 per cent home record in the Premier League.

Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Cole; Ramires, Lampard (Mikel 65); Hazard (Eto'o 83), Oscar, Schurrle (Willian 65); Torres.
Unused substitutes: Schwarzer, Azpilicueta, David Luiz, Mata.
Scorers Schurrle 32, Torres 90
Booked Lampard 21, Ramires 50

Manchester City (4-1-4-1): Hart; Zabaleta, Demichelis, Nastasic, Clichy; Garcia (Kolarov 79); Nasri (Navas 69), Yaya Toure (c), Fernandinho, Silva; Aguero (Negredo 86).
Unused substitutes:Pantilimon, Richards, Milner, Dzeko.
Scorer Aguero 48
Booked Zabaleta 26, Nastasic 33, Garcia 59.

Referee Howard Webb
Crowd 41,495

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FINAL WHISTLE VERDICT: A GREAT MOMENT

After watching his side pass arguably our biggest test of the season to date, Jose Mourinho was understandably a very happy man.

Fernando Torres's last-gasp winner sealed a 2-1 victory over Manchester City at Stamford Bridge, and though there were times when we lived dangerously, it was a thoroughly deserved three points for the Blues, and a result which takes us above Liverpool into second place, only two points behind leaders Arsenal.

Andre Schurrle had broken the deadlock in the 32nd minute, scoring from close range after being teed up by Torres, who went close moments later himself with a stunning strike which crashed against the bar.

Manuel Pellegrini's side equalised, however, three minutes into the second half when Sergio Aguero scored from the tightest of angles, and with the game seemingly heading for a draw, up popped Torres with the decisive strike, his third in a week, leaving Mourinho reflecting on a job well done.

'First of all, I feel sympathy with them because I know how it is to lose in the last minute,' he said.

'It's a very difficult feeling, but of course it's a great moment for us. In the first half we played fantastic against a fantastic team, which isn't easy. We were better than them which isn't easy. We could have scored three goals in the first half, we were dominant, we played well, we played beautiful.

'In the second half we played against a great team, with a tornado arriving, the wind was very strong against us and pushed us back. They scored a goal and after that the game was 50-50, it could go one way or another.

'When everybody was expecting a draw, even ourselves, I tried to play Samuel and give a bit more but I didn't want to risk too much. It was the kind of game that you wanted to win but you didn't want to lose, because if you lose it you lose points against a title contender, so I wanted to take a risk but with balance.

'They didn't want to either because they changed a striker for a striker and put Kolarov in midfield, they were happy with a point. The goal comes through a very intelligent action by Fernando. It was a misunderstanding between Joe Hart and Nastastic but Fernando was very clever with the way he did it.'

On the significance of the victory
'Of course the points are important, but you can win and say we didn't play well, we were very lucky, they were dominant and Petr Cech was the man of the match, but another thing is the way we played in the first half.

'We played very well, in the first 10 minutes we were very sharp, very technical with a good dynamic. We were changing positions and not afraid to lose possession, even though we knew how strong they are on the counter attack. If we can play like this against Man City, why can't we play like that in every match in the Premier League? That's the self-esteem we need.

'The important thing is that we have this number of points (20) and we've played Manchester United away, Tottenham away, Everton away, City at home. Next week we go to Newcastle, it's very difficult but we are there, we are not far and the team is improving.'

On his celebration following the winning goal
'I want to but a season ticket for my son but they gave him the season ticket behind the opponents' dugout.

'They have to change and give him a ticket behind my dugout. I went for him, I promise. Next match you will see him there again. This is the drama of the last minute. Last year I beat Manchester City in the last minute with Real Madrid, I slid on my knees and destroyed my trousers.

'I lost in the last minute against Bayern Munich and it felt like somebody had put a knife in my back and I didn't see them. This is the emotion of the game, if they believe my son is there, great. If they don't believe that I apologise.'

On Fernando Torres
'It was a fantastic performance and even better because there was an easy chance missed and that makes it even more valuable because many times when a striker misses an easy chance he is affected for the rest of the game.

'That was the moment when he decided he would be the man of the match. The fans were amazing and supported him a lot, they see the way he works for the team, he's sharp and powerful and we were happy for him.

We are all happy because it's a very important victory against a team we couldn't beat last year, we played against them lots of times, even in friendlies, and couldn't beat them. In the first half we played so well against a good team.

'I did nothing, it would be easy for me to say I did this or I did that but I did nothing. We work with our methodology which we believe improves players through sharpness and speed over the first 15-20 metres. You can see that with the way John (Terry) is playing, he looks light and sharp. It's a methodology which helps the players, we work in high intensity over short periods and that helps them become sharp. He's responsible because he's worked very hard since I arrived, since the first day. Sometimes he was on the bench, sometimes he wasn't selected or I left him at home, so credit to him.

'With me, I only have good memories of Fernando, I know it's only a short time, three or four months. A missed goal doesn't matter, he was there fighting for it, our team isn't physical, we need his physicality.

'The people playing behind him; Schurrle is fragile, Juan is little, Oscar is fragile, Hazard is little. You see City, even Aguero, he's the little one but he's a powerful tank, so we need Fernando, he gives us a lot. After that, if he scores or doesn't score it's okay, we know we can count on him.'