Check out this dribble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
PEOPLE are going to come out today and say Geoff Toovey is at it again, whingeing after a loss.

Cop it on the chin, Toovs, you were beaten by a better side.
But if a rule is a rule - and the rugby league rule book clearly states that defending teams are supposed to stand 10m back from the ruck with their body mass behind the referee - then why are teams continually allowed to exploit this law? It happened again last night and it will probably get lost in the wake of Canterbury's courageous comeback victory and the fact the premiers' season is now on life support.
Yet again the biggest problem in the game has been exposed and it has everything to do with our match officials and their lack of consistency, leading to frustration and anger.
Toovey raised the issue after Manly's heartbreaking 16-10 defeat last night. As he put it: "I thought we were playing back in the five-metre rule. They were very quick off the line. I probably should have realised it was semi-final football and they put their whistles away."

Advertisement

After expressing his concerns during the week about the controversial obstruction rule, Toovey finally got a call go his way.
A disallowed try to Ben Barba brought a smile to Toovey's face after Bulldogs back-rower Frank Pritchard illegally obstructed Daly Cherry-Evans and the referees got it right.
Toovey still had a reason to complain - and while Bulldogs fans will say it's the act of a sore loser, its not Toovey's problem, it's the game's.
Now let's remember back to when this issue was first raised this season.
Very early on rugby league Immortal Bob Fulton and supercoach Wayne Bennett made back page headlines in this paper when they spoke about their concerns of how wrestling and the speed of the play-the-ball and the ruck was ruining the game as a spectacle. It led to an immediate crackdown when referees' boss Bill Harrigan was told to fix the problem but after a few weeks the referees relaxed their policing and before long it was a case of resume normal positions.
Last night it certainly detracted from the spectacle.
"I thought it was ridiculous to tell you the truth," Toovey said. "But that is just me being a bit biased I suppose if there was a 10 metre sprint in the Olympics they'd have a couple of gold medallists out there."

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tooves is right, the 10 was terrible, but if you look closely is was infact Manly who were getting off the line quicker and appeared to have a shorter 10, but hey I may also be bias

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tooves is right, the 10 was terrible, but if you look closely is was infact Manly who were getting off the line quicker and appeared to have a shorter 10, but hey I may also be bias
Both coaches watched the game and should have addressed the short 10m or anything else they saw to their players at half time so it can be exploited.

Seems that Des did this but Toovey did not. Toovey was simply out coached yet again!

P

Paint.

Is he seriously sooking about it now? You'll hardly see any team standing behind the referee, and even then, the refs always get the 10m wrong - they're always either 7metres back, or 13

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
stop sooking toovey you lost on every front, your grub players on report, your captain hurt, the scoreboard was against you, and dont forget that its pretty much last years gf side the dogs beat, so really you got no excuses at all

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't get is both teams did it and have been doing it forever... Its not like they didn't have much ball... My god they had plenty of chances to convert to try's and they didn't why doesn't this water boy just stfu and move on... His not going to out coach his master so just accept it you bloody loser

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Next time we meet, his excuse will be something along the lines of "there was too much blue and white in the crowd.. It was distracting to the Manly players."

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
lets talk about two high tackles in a row and matai not getting 10 mins in the sin bin?

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
toovey, if you focused more on your team than you do at making yourself look like a sour prick, then you probably would've won.

but please carry on coz its quite entertaining.

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
What a great game it was.....! I got to see the footy and UFC at the same time who needs foxtel to watch UFC when you can just go watch a live Manly game....! UFC rule book 101: swinging arms to the face legal, forearm to the face legal, elbows and punches to the back of the head not so legal 1 point taken off the only thing that was missing from manly was the ground and pound and im pretty sure i seen someone from manly try an arm bar not sure who it was tho...! So if my calculations are correct the score should read Bulldogs 16 Manly - 3
Now on a serious note when did manly hire UFC coaches....?
Thank you Geoff Toovey for whingeing about the 10m rule and the obstruction rule and how bad the match officials were and their lack of consistency lets just focus on that instead of the welfare of opposition players who get there heads taken off....!

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Every team, every game is looking for an advantage over their opposition. The refs should ref the game, not the team. The 10 meters was a little short, on both sides Tooves, not just for Manly.

Bonzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is he seriously sooking about it now? You'll hardly see any team standing behind the referee, and even then, the refs always get the 10m wrong - they're always either 7metres back, or 13
Dont forget all that grubby **** Manly got away with. Next week when they lose, will be priceless lol.:D

Bonzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Next time we meet, his excuse will be something along the lines of "there was too much blue and white in the crowd.. It was distracting to the Manly players."
:roflol: I Like.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Just fill the water bottles up Tooves

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell Yeah.

Does this mean that you guys are on our side for next weekend anyways?
I go for the dogs and whoever is playing manly! I think the cowboys can beat storm too. Manly will get cleaned up by the storm though

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
For sure! After friday i have lost respect for some of the grubs from Manly.
I go for the dogs and whoever is playing manly! I think the cowboys can beat storm too. Manly will get cleaned up by the storm though
Thanks you guys. I'm sure we also have Knights fans on our side as well (I have heard that a lot of them do adopt the Cowboys if they are not in the Finals).

Bonzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks you guys. I'm sure we also have Knights fans on our side as well (I have heard that a lot of them do adopt the Cowboys if they are not in the Finals).
Never heard that before about the knights but there you go.
Good luck against the scumly, and who knows maybe a doggies and cowboys grand final?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.