Changes for next week

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

For me personally I would really like to see Holland in the centres or at the back and DWZ at centre.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Based on what Pay's done in the past, and what he's talking about this year I highly doubt he'll change for the sake of changing.

If suspension forces our hand then OK, but otherwise ... no. We've gotta give the lads in the attacking department at least a chance to turn things around.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tolman needs to dropped he is useless
Tolman does not deserve to be dropped. He was not the cause of our defeat. He did his job like he always does.
I see the problem as JMK and Wakeham. They did not provide any serviceable balls all night.
Katoa and Cogger must be elevated.
I know Dean Pay is a decent fellow and wont drop Wakeham after one game, but he must consider it.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Are people seriously still even interested in round 2,3,4 etc?

It seems pretty clear this season isn't going to go ahead. I've already written off the season in my own mind.

Will only be a matter of time before everything gets cancelled.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally I'd prefer that the season isn't cancelled, we need the younger/inexperienced players to get some experience and prove that they are NRL level worthy. Those that aren't we can let go and replace next year utilising the cap space that we will have. Those that do prove their worth mean that we don't have to recruit in those positions. That's why this season is so critical for us, so getting in as many games as possible is very important.

Go Dogs

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If season is suspended then it gives time for us to get CHN and Foran back from injury, and Bateman for Canberra.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most importantly it gives Holland more time to improve as a ball playing fullback. Seeing as he will be the kangaroos fullback for the next 5 years. I don't understand why he isn't playing fullback for us already.

I'm worried if Pay doesn't give Holland a chance at the back soon another club will identify his talent and make him an offer he can't refuse.
If season is suspended then it gives time for us to get CHN and Foran back from injury, and Bateman for Canberra.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Most importantly it gives Holland more time to improve as a ball playing fullback. Seeing as he will be the kangaroos fullback for the next 5 years. I don't understand why he isn't playing fullback for us already.

I'm worried if Pay doesn't give Holland a chance at the back soon another club will identify his talent and make him an offer he can't refuse.
It was pretty widely reported that Holland was the Statistical form centre of 2018. https://www.thekennel.net.au/forum/...ntre-in-2018-for-creating-line-breaks.111457/
It was all Holland before Latrell took the mantle and became a media focus.

Unfortunately Pay (and injury)ruined him by moving him around and it killed his progress.

what hurts my heart is he turned down an offer of 550k a year from Newcastle (where he grew!) to re-sign with us at 450k for three years. It just shows what Bulldogs DNA and loyalty gets a player. Why I can’t buy this DNA business as serious.

Holland and Reimis had a good thing going. And now Holland’s confidence is down. He is still doing ok in attack but you can see he’s a bit lost positionally now.
He is a good hooker too, and it is interesting Pay has chosen to use him in that role. What makes sense is Fullback though, you only need to see what he did in NSW CUP at the back. Literally made most line breaks in one game out of any player in the comp that year in a single game.

I think Pay appreciates him but can’t figure out how to use him. He’s overthinking a bit. For Holland, he really does need a good season to ensure his future. I know he’s brilliant, YOU know he’s brilliant, but this is lost on the greater league community when he isn’t front and centre producing results.

It’s Luke Mcdougall all over again. Nasheed.

Last edited:

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've really changed your tune about Pay from what you wrote 18 months ago which was full of praise...
View attachment 13705
Yes but time ran out.
Ive always said hes a good bloke and great at bringing players together.
He still isnt picking blokes in the right positions. Its just not good enough unfortunately.
I also stated when he first showed up he would definitely need a great attacking coach for him to make it.
It hasnt happened and look at our attack.
I was also willing to give lewis and marshall king there time and chance too if u want to find old posts.
But the clock has hit the 11th hour with them too. Cant keep doing the same thing over and over for no results.
Thats insanity.
Great bloke, good coach, unfortunately i just dont think hes gonna be good enough to win us a premeirship.
So im always willing to bite the bullet and move forward.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately Pay (and injury)ruined him by moving him around and it killed his progress.

what hurts my heart is he turned down an offer of 550k a year from Newcastle (where he grew!) to re-sign with us at 450k for three years. It just shows what Bulldogs DNA and loyalty gets a player. Why I can’t buy this DNA business as serious.

Holland and Reimis had a good thing going. And now Holland’s confidence is down. He is still doing ok in attack but you can see he’s a bit lost positionally now.
He is a good hooker too, and it is interesting Pay has chosen to use him in that role. What makes sense is Fullback though, you only need to see what he did in NSW CUP at the back. Literally made most line breaks in one game out of any player in the comp that year in a single game.

I think Pay appreciates him but can’t figure out how to use him. He’s overthinking a bit. For Holland, he really does need a good season to ensure his future. I know he’s brilliant, YOU know he’s brilliant, but this is lost on the greater league community when he isn’t front and centre producing results.

It’s Luke Mcdougall all over again. Nasheed.
Lucky Newcastle he didn't sign for them! 550k lol, would be a giant waste of utter money!

Holland "brilliant"...at what? Stealing our salary cap? He's ordinary, slow, uncreative. He's another of our C-D grade standard players on a good day. It's a HUGE problem with our squad.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Based on what Pay's done in the past, and what he's talking about this year I highly doubt he'll change for the sake of changing.

If suspension forces our hand then OK, but otherwise ... no. We've gotta give the lads in the attacking department at least a chance to turn things around.
Put simply, we do not have an attack coach. We have Georgallis.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but time ran out.
Ive always said hes a good bloke and great at bringing players together.
He still isnt picking blokes in the right positions. Its just not good enough unfortunately.
I also stated when he first showed up he would definitely need a great attacking coach for him to make it.
It hasnt happened and look at our attack.
I was also willing to give lewis and marshall king there time and chance too if u want to find old posts.
But the clock has hit the 11th hour with them too. Cant keep doing the same thing over and over for no results.
Thats insanity.
Great bloke, good coach, unfortunately i just dont think hes gonna be good enough to win us a premeirship.
So im always willing to bite the bullet and move forward.
OK but it's not all on Pay is it?
He was an NRL rookie when he came in and we know at least one other top-grade NRL coach looked at our books with the cap mess and said 'no way'.
Pay apart from being relatively inexperienced when he started hasn't had much cattle to work with.
He's also had assistants in Penna, Georgallis and Antonelli - so some accountability has to lie there too.
Perhaps that's one of the reasons Farrar was replaced by Price as GM of Football - the board weren't happy (enough) with the football program.
Those changes were made less than a year ago.
Just like the players you can't go chopping and changing the coaching staff regularly.
Dean's contract is up this year - no doubt he wants a renewal and no doubt he's working bloody hard to get the results to enable a renewal.
To sit here and constantly bag the effort doesn't do any good.
What specific changes would you make both coaching and players? Like it or not, Lewis and JMK are both signed until the end of 2021 - so they're not going anywhere until at least then.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tolman does not deserve to be dropped. He was not the cause of our defeat. He did his job like he always does.
I see the problem as JMK and Wakeham. They did not provide any serviceable balls all night.
Katoa and Cogger must be elevated.
I know Dean Pay is a decent fellow and wont drop Wakeham after one game, but he must consider it.

And like always his job is shit and not what we need at the moment in this team.

we need a big strong metre eater. Too many on here get attached emotionally to players tolman is the perfect example.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman not so much the issue, it’s the people around him, or moreso it’s the BALANCE!
Having a Tolman is great when you offset him with a Payne Haas type.someone who really bends the line. But instead we are being offset with Elliott etc.

both are great players, but you need balance.

we have too many worker bees. No punch. We can have 6 guys in the slightly big slightly fast mould such as a Thommo, but if we are going to have small worker bees, we need to compensate by big meat. Which we don’t have. It’s the strongest case for a Kasiano return!
Tolman is like Stagg or Grimaldi of yesteryear. Someone who can go 80, works hard and is salary cheap.
Although we haven’t made him salary cheap and haven’t used the type of player effectively in the wider system. He would be amazing surrounded by big men.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Lucky Newcastle he didn't sign for them! 550k lol, would be a giant waste of utter money!

Holland "brilliant"...at what? Stealing our salary cap? He's ordinary, slow, uncreative. He's another of our C-D grade standard players on a good day. It's a HUGE problem with our squad.
He is not ordinary and uncreative.
Simple logic really, How do you become the best attacking player of 2018 if you are ordinary if you are slow?
I will grant you that he is not the quickest player, not compared to the elite guys, but he is certainly about par with the standard average centre. Way quicker than BJ Leilua, Douehi and Momirovski for instance.

He has had to use his guile, creativity and what’s between his ears to compensate for what’s between the legs.

three years ago I told you all he would be the Australian Fullback in 5 years. Unfortunately due to what Pay has done and how Hasler has developed Tommy Turbo by comparison, I cant put Holland above him anymore.
He probably won’t now be the best fullback. Teddy and Turbo can go to another level and Ponga is probably there about as well. But he would be above RTS and Holmes (better all round). So probably will peak to be the 3rd best fullback in the game once he’s handed the keys to the backdoor of Belmore. If and when.Nasheed.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Katoa for holland ,averillo for cc and wakeham 7 lewis at 6 but it wont happen