Centres for 2023

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Makes sense because our backline is a mess but I'm struggling to think of players from our roster you'd start at fullback. Maybe Perham or Kiraz? Anyway Jake is the best centre at the club, always said it, top 6 in the league and whatever other rubbish I say... :tearsofjoy:
Didn't you always push for Jake to be fullback?

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry dude Kiraz ain’t being picked at centre, Skelton and Alamoti where promised starting positions hence Schoupp being moved on and Skelton not being selected during last year’s GF so he doesn’t get injured, the amount of interest that Alamoti and Skelton had from other clubs was immense and Gus ain’t letting them go.
Immense? Lol

Where do you get your info from? Skelton was signed for 2023 so prior to the last 3 weeks he couldn’t have had interest from other clubs and even if there was interest that would be for 2024. I bet you most clubs don’t even know who he is after having played probably 5 games of league in NSW cup

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Immense? Lol

Where do you get your info from? Skelton was signed for 2023 so prior to the last 3 weeks he couldn’t have had interest from other clubs and even if there was interest that would be for 2024. I bet you most clubs don’t even know who he is after having played probably 5 games of league in NSW cup
the fact that he thinks they wouldnt play a fully fit eligible player in a GF says it all. by the way he was injured, thats why he didnt play

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think Burns / Kiraz. But it wouldn't surprise me to see Alomati or Perham potentially pinch a spot if they train-trial well.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Makes sense because our backline is a mess but I'm struggling to think of players from our roster you'd start at fullback. Maybe Perham or Kiraz? Anyway Jake is the best centre at the club, always said it, top 6 in the league and whatever other rubbish I say... :tearsofjoy:
Averillo isn't even a top 30 centre in the NRL.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Centre has become a vital position in today’s fast paced game....defending out wide and linking up with the wingers and maximising the use of the space requires pace strength and good footwork and positional play....we really need at least 1 quality centre

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burns & Alamoti LETS TROT

If you are going to bring in a young talent, what better way than to have them with the experience of Foxx & Kikau next to them.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Immense? Lol

You honestly believe the top clubs wait for players to play before they resize their potential, if there was no salary cap maybe. But since there’s a salary cap we need to trust experience and judgement aka GUS, where just lucky people like you aren’t in charge god knows who you would resign or let go lol

Also he was a Juniour rugby player for Australia as if there weren’t scouts watching lol mate I’ll just leave it here.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see Burns and Allen as the centers at least to start the season. It's a safe option but probably needed as the team finds it feet and experience will be vital. The first 6/8 weeks is about jagging as many points as possible. I think most will agree we HAVE to start well.

We have some young options who haven't played much footy Alamoti (covid, injuries) and Skelton, Casey not a lot of experience in the centers. Time in reggies will be well spent and it will be up to them to force the issue.

I think it is essential, at least initially that Kiraz starts on the wing for his ability under the high ball and tough carries out of trouble. Fox and Alverillo are not the most robust ball carriers, and both can be somewhat suspect with the ball in the air. We also should be kicking for Kiraz in attack at every opportunity as he can be a weapon. Was amazed we didn't do it last season.

If during the season someone puts their hand up to play right wing i would have no problem moving Kiraz to center where his awkward gait and ability to make people miss can create something out of nothing.

All things considered i would be very surprised if a quality outside back is not added before 2024.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not saying he will be there come round 1, but CC with the outside backs in particular is testing them all out in almost all back 5 positions seeing who suits where best. I’ve heard Averillo is ahead for centre, if true someone must put there hand up for FB over him
Wonder who? Kiraz, jac or a signing are only options i see

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Centre has become a vital position in today’s faced pace game....defending out wide and linking up with the wingers and maximising the use of the space requires pace strend good footwork and positional play....we really need at least 1 quality centre
Finally someone who understands how important it is for both centres to be good defenders. It is without a,doubt the key defensive position in the backline. If you make a mis read of the decoys and block players, there is a hole the opposition can drive a bus through. Good post.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Finally someone who understands how important it is for both centres to be good defenders. It is without a,doubt the key defensive position in the backline. If you make a mis read of the decoys and block players, there is a hole the opposition can drive a bus through. Good post.
Over the last decade with the exception of Morris(s) edge defence throughout the club has been poor - seems the wingers only instructions were to "jam in " and hope for the best. Hopefully improved coaching leading to better structures and techniques will result in better defensive decisions.