CCTV footage of Bromwich / Proctor snortfest released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-11/rugby-league-players-snorting-cocaine-caught-on-video/9638676

upload_2018-4-11_12-41-6.png

Before dawn on a Saturday in May last year, police in Canberra identified a group of men on CCTV.

Two of them had played in the Anzac rugby league Test the previous night.

They were then New Zealand captain Jesse Bromwich and fellow Kiwi international Kevin Proctor. After losing the game they were now doing lines of cocaine outside a city nightclub, just hours after playing for their country.

"They're both really, you know, really top-quality players," Adrian Crowther, who partied with the footballers that night, said.

Mr Crowther was a big fan of Bromwich's club Melbourne Storm.

He had been to the Test that night and bought the players drinks as a sign of his appreciation.

One of the players' entourage asked Mr Crowther if he had any cocaine. It did not take long for him to get his hands on some.

"Let's do this," Mr Crowther told the men.
"I just wanted to get on it with these guys," Mr Crowther told 7.30.
"I thought it was just a great opportunity to carry on drinking with them."

CCTV footage obtained by 7.30 shows the group outside the nightclub joking, play-fighting and snorting lines of cocaine off Mr Crowther's phone.

"They had some lines and we just stood around chatting," Mr Crowther said.
"They were real drunk," he said.

According to a statement of facts, police observed Bromwich and Proctor on CCTV consuming a white powder that was later tested and found to be cocaine.

Under ACT law, the possession and supply of drugs such as cocaine is illegal, but using it is not an offence.

When police arrived, neither player was searched or arrested. Mr Crowther said the officers shook hands with the players and then left.

But Mr Crowther was taken to the city watch house.

He was charged with cocaine and MDMA possession. He was later convicted and fined $5,250.

The players were suspended and fined by their clubs, but Mr Crowther said he did not think it was fair they walked free.

"I thought it was wrong," he said.

So why did these guys get a really weak punishment when others recently have been removed from the game fro drug use?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
So why did these guys get a really weak punishment when others recently have been removed from the game fro drug use?
Do you really care about some guys doing cocaine? I mean yeah it deserves punishment but it is hardly bad enough to get scrubbed out of the game.

I would much rather they scrub out guys who bash women... recreational drug use doesn't hurt anyone.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well maybe, it's more about the consistency. Taane Milne, Ben Barba, Sandor Earl, Nikorima, Maitua .... they all get wiped out for drug usage... yet others a blind eye is turned to it.

That said I don't know enough about it to know if it could be considered performance enhancing... Never touched drugs, nor do I intend to.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you really care about some guys doing cocaine? I mean yeah it deserves punishment but it is hardly bad enough to get scrubbed out of the game.

I would much rather they scrub out guys who bash women... recreational drug use doesn't hurt anyone.

I rather think we all would, however the NRL gives them a slap on the wrist, a stern talking to, sends them for a bit of rehab then lets them back again,. OR the solicitor/ barrister/ legal rep argues that to have a conviction recorded would prejudice their clients ability to pursue a career further in the game....we have seen it many times....

If a punishment is created for various offences those of equal value should be treated the same and not be dependent on who it is and who they played / will play for. There is a difference between using and peddling but it is the inconsistency of the punishment ( rather like that of the NRL officials and their handling of games and the application of the rules ) which is the sticking point.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How stupid can one be?

But then again, they probably had a shipload of beers beforehand, so inhibitions are pretty much non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.