Carl Webb fight tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooooooo, just reminding y'all that big Charlie Webb is an undercard for the Mundine fight tonight. Webby was a junior Golden Glove, so this could be a decent fight.

Rookie Carl Webb weighs in for bout
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...345_sport.html
JOSH ALSTON
January 11th, 2010

FAVOURITE ... Carl Webb, at the weigh-in in Sydney yesterday,
is tipped to win his bout on the Anthony Mundine versus
Robert Medley undercard tonight

ALL the fireworks of Sonny Bill Williams' weigh-in were absent yesterday as a cool and calm Carl Webb prepared to open his professional boxing life with a win.

The Cowboys prop has already emerged a clear favourite for his bout against Scott 'The Animal' Lewis tonight on the Anthony Mundine versus Robert Medley undercard.

At the official weigh-in, Webb clocked in at 108.3kg, while Lewis, who has an undistinguished 1-3 professional record with all his losses coming inside the distance, weighed in at 103.5kg.

Unlike the antics of Gary 'The Baboon' Gurr in the lead-up to the most recent high-profile rugby league conversion to the sport, Webb was not interested in engaging in a war of words with the former forklift operator.

''I see all the trash-talking and that, but I've never been big on that sort of thing,'' Webb said.

''Especially when you go out there, there's every chance that you are going to get knocked out.''

His trainer - Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Billy Johnstone - shares Webb's relaxed demeanour, but is wary of a boilover.

While Lewis may not come with a glittering resume, he has height and reach over the North Queensland bookend and a catalogue of devastating blows that could fell him within the distance.

''He's a bit taller than Carl ... he's got experience, he's been in the ring a bit lately and Carl hasn't so that's a disadvantage to Carl,'' Johnstone said. ''We're hoping he's got more ability than him.

''We've been down (since Saturday), he's trained a couple of times and had a bit of loosen up, massage etc.

''He's really excited, we did all the press today with Mundine and Medley, the blokes from The Contender and all the blokes fighting on the card, it's all going along good.''

The 28-year-old joins an expanding list of league players who have had at least one professional fight.

Mundine has been the most successful, winning world-title belts at middleweight and super middleweight.

More recently, John Hopoate and Solomon Haumono have also made the switch.

Hopoate has enjoyed some success, winning an Australian heavyweight title, and will fight in Townsville next month.

Haumono was unbeaten in his first 17 fights, notching 15 knockouts, but lost his unbeaten record last August.

Former Cronulla and St George Illawarra forward Lance Thompson compiled a 2-1 record, while Williams triumphed in his only professional contest to date against Gurr.

- with AAP

R

rocky IV

pub bum on pub bum fighting as the undercard on Mundine Vs pub bum

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
''I see all the trash-talking and that, but I've never been big on that sort of thing,'' Webb said.
HAHAHAHAHA yeah - ur not big into that. *cough* state of origin *cough*

M

maxbodyboarder

if webb fights his own fight and uses his jab he wil set a monster right hand! imagine that fist! woo. queenslanders hit harder too btw

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The more important questions are:

1. Which retirement village is Robert Medley from?
2. How long has it been since he (Medley) retired?
3. How long will Mundine brag about his victory for, whilst trying to avoid a Green re-match?

In all honesty though, Medley is 28 and is 27-2 with 17 KOs. Medley is at a disadvantage already though as he's stepping up a class from light - middleweight to middleweight to battle Mundine (who is already a middleweight).

The only 2 losses that Medley has incurred, where when he stepped up a class.

That's Mundines success. For once maybe Mundine should drop/go up a class to fight someone, then it wouldn't be so one-sided.

As for Webb. Well he's fighting a guy that's so far lost 3 of his 4 previous fights!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lmao webb got knocked out by a tomato can

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
medley impressed me alot in that fight if mundine wasn't such a kat medley would've knocked him out

mundine clinches so much its not even funny makes for a boring fight

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mundine REFUSED to match Medley at his weight, thus forcing Medley to punch far above his weight.

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
medley impressed me alot in that fight if mundine wasn't such a kat medley would've knocked him out

lol Mundine took Medley apart. A great exhibition of the art of boxing.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I dont get this, so a boxer should change his style so the other guy can KO him?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You really hate mundine dont you
I just look down on his tactics.

He always picks an opponent with a weakness, or looks for a weakness before he agrees to fight them.

I don't think Mundine has ever changed weights in order to have a bout with another boxer (could be wrong there).

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get this, so a boxer should change his style so the other guy can KO him?
Don't listen to that fool mate, I doubt he watched the fight. There was no clinching at all, it was a masterful class of pugilism. The speed of the jabs and the combination was sublime

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't listen to that fool mate, I doubt he watched the fight. There was no clinching at all, it was a masterful class of pugilism. The speed of the jabs and the combination was sublime
Keep up the big words Jack. I'm getting a hard on here :p

Status
Not open for further replies.