Canterbury's Leaders search for answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
It's far removed from a crisis meeting, but the Bulldogs' senior leaders have challenged Canterbury's squad to swiftly solve the impossible jigsaw which has become the side's season before they plunge into a mid-season malaise.

Desperately searching for a shred of consistency in a topsy-turvy season thus far, the Bulldogs' most experienced players have taken it upon themselves to fix the club's baffling start to their campaign – without having the riot act read by coach Des Hasler.

But the fact is Hasler's side has become very un-Hasler like. Ruthlessly efficient one week, maddeningly mediocre the next.

Hot and cold Dogs: Josh Morris says the team is seeking answers to their inconsistent play. Photo: Mark Metcalfe

A win over their traditional bogy side the Gold Coast Titans, as expected, will mean the Bulldogs will have alternated wins and losses for the past six weeks. Enough to preserve a spot in the top eight – and also enough to send their fans batty.

Puzzling losses to the Raiders and Warriors have been sprinkled in with impressive wins over the Rabbitohs and Storm. So why the yin and yang at Belmore?

"One week we're on, the next we're not," centre Josh Morris said. "It's probably more mental. We have to start respecting every team and thinking they're the best side in the comp. We have probably been guilty of thinking it is going to happen and the side comes out fired up, puts a score on us and we have to try to chase it down.

"As a senior players group we have spoken about that to the players and having that mental focus about preparing well. You can't blame just one player. We have to die as a team together.

"We have had a couple of meetings and a couple of discussions about it. It's just about trying to get everyone on the same page and get that mental reasoning behind it so we make sure no one is going into a game thinking it is going to be easy."

The Titans will be anything but pushovers for the Bulldogs, who snapped a four-game losing sequence against Gold Coast last year. Most thought the Titans would be wooden spoon candidates this season. The first seven rounds suggests they will be anything but.

And the Bulldogs' representative back-rower Josh Jackson hopes Neil Henry's men don't make the hosts resort to open displays of frustration, such as Josh Reynolds flinging the ball at teammate Michael Lichaa in the dying embers of the loss to the Warriors.

"It is really frustrating," Jackson said. "I guess we saw a bit of that on the field the other night. It's not a quick fix – it's going to take some time – but I think everyone knows the direction we're all headed and everyone is on board.

"It's [about] preparation, attitude and game sense on the field as well."

The Bulldogs' own fortunes in the next month could have a huge bearing on the representative claims of both Morris and Jackson – as well as five-eighth Josh Reynolds. While a couple look to retain their State of Origin jumpers, Reynolds will be looking to regain his.

But Morris refuses to buy into the selection debate, preferring to dodge the speculation NSW coach Laurie Daley is eyeing a shake-up in his outside backs for the series opener.

"To be honest I am not even thinking about it at all," Morris said. "If your team is playing well you're going to be considered there. I really care about this team and I want to see us do well. That is my sole focus."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canterbury-bulldogs/canterburybankstown-bulldogs-leadership-group-searching-for-answers-to-rollercoaster-start-to-year-20160420-goaqhc.html#ixzz46LznL4Ri
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh Morris needs to look at his own form. Hes been poor for a while now. I'll be stunned if he gets picked for origin. This week titans will be tough to beat but lets prey we turn our season around or i'll lose my shit.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Josh Morris needs to look at his own form. Hes been poor for a while now. I'll be stunned if he gets picked for origin. This week titans will be tough to beat but lets prey we turn our season around or i'll lose my shit.
True, but his best asset his speed has diminished
He is still clever in defence

But his attack is non existent based on his speed not what it use to, and he is not getting any space with our slow plodding style of play,

I Kinda feel sorry for all our outside backs,

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its Mental All right !! that a team that is largely unchanged for about 4 years has no cohesion and looks lost in attack....

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We've never been consistent since 2013, how they will solve this is beyond me.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Does this mean Graham will hog the ball more and push our halves/outside backs further to the edges??

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When you look at how souths have been getting beat and even the storm who just won over the knights and the tigers our victory's are not very impressive.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

But his attack is non existent based on his speed not what it use to, and he is not getting any space with our slow plodding style of play,

Back in 2012 was the best center in the game in fact won dally m center if i recall Those were the days he was dangerous with half a chance.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ohh god, so im not the only one that thinks he spends far too much time running sideways? Lol.
He did it so blatantly from a kick off when you're supposed to run directly into the defense yet he started running sideways before hitting the line.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have no quality in the halves or outside backs.....josh morriis never comes under scrutiny....because we have no other centres putting pressure on him......we have no depth in the backs....a pathetic hooker who offers us nothing....im sick of all this talk.....we have a poor quality team and other teams have recruited so much better.....simple as that....cleal and hasler need to fuck off....we need someone with the balls to make the tough decisions

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He did it so blatantly from a kick off when you're supposed to run directly into the defense yet he started running sideways before hitting the line.
He does it most the time lol. Always looking for runners so he can pass/dummy. Just fucking play straight ffs.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Just shows the quality of the team.
Thinking just showing up and it will happen lolll.
They talk like they have won 3 premierships back to back.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just shows the quality of the team.
Thinking just showing up and it will happen lolll.
They talk like they have won 3 premierships back to back.
Its like the post game interviews, "why did you lose?" "I don't know" - Graham

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Heard it all before.... they said the same thing after the loss to Canberra... this group is really starting to shit me that I'm starting not to care anymore, just get way too angry watching games now :/.

Reactions: GDR
Status
Not open for further replies.