News Canterbury were able to stave off a number of rivals to keep young Paul Alamoti at Belmore

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could be Gus is testing the guys resolve to do the hard work and pay his dues rather than the easy option of re-signing based on hype (which has failed us in the past with guys not stepping up after good money thrown at them).

I would expect Gus to have given him a plan for his progression into first grade. He is the kind of player we need and Gus and Ciro are the kind of coach/mentor he needs at this early stage of his career.

Hope he realises his potential at the Bulldogs.
Gus didn't just came down in the shower, he would be fully aware of the situation...
But the problem with some naive managers is they opt for short term gains.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus didn't just came down in the shower, he would be fully aware of the situation...
I'm gonna help you out a bit mate "didn't come down in the last shower" :tearsofjoy:
Seems like a baseless "story" but no rush the kid has to rise up in 23 to earn his next deal based on what happened this year.Had two significant injuries iirc which stymied his progress unfortunately.
Jury out as yet on whether he is a long term and gun centre for us though it's likely he is a better option than Burns or Schoupp, does he pass??

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's going to be plenty of articles of this nature moving forward with luck. It's a signal that our production line is improving. I don't care if a star occasionally slips through the cracks. As long as the players we retain are good enough for the NRL, it'll mean that we can in turn buy the occasional star to fill gaps in talent. We used to be the benchmark for a production club. Melbourne and Penrith Have tied that up in recent years. Melbourne just recruit good prospects despite not having a local nursery in AFL country. Penrith have a huge junior base, but that's become noticed by rivals and they're going to lose plenty of young talent moving forward.

Ideally we move towards having a spine that gets "good enough" forwards to play out of their skins. Hopefully we can be producing them ourselves. Halves that can create half chances for the backs to finish off.

Corey Allen is a good example of a good enough player behind a good spine. He looked like a terrific player behind a South's spine that was creating chances. Looked pretty average for us while we're struggling to create consistent chances. We constantly saw players move to Melbourne and go from being decent players to being world beaters behind Cronk and Cameron Smith. They don't quite have the same quality of spine now and it's showing as a chunk in their armour.

So I wouldn't worry about this article right now. The world was going to end for some when we lost Morgan to Manly. He's been nothing special there IMO. Alomati might be one that steps up as a star, he might also hit the NRL and be somewhat nullified when playing against opponents that are generally tougher, fitter and better defensive players than the lower grades. I do love having our juniors go on to star for us, but a good Flight player isn't guaranteed to cut it when they hit the NRL.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll see the "some naive managers" and raise that to "the majority of greedy turds that get a highly rated youngster"

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna help you out a bit mate "didn't come down in the last shower" :tearsofjoy:
Seems like a baseless "story" but no rush the kid has to rise up in 23 to earn his next deal based on what happened this year.Had two significant injuries iirc which stymied his progress unfortunately.
Jury out as yet on whether he is a long term and gun centre for us though it's likely he is a better option than Burns or Schoupp, does he pass??
Thanks mate, I am a slow typist and often think faster then type :grinning:
Remember where there is smoke there is fire, I honestly believe it's the doing of his manager, how else would The Daily Tellacrap know if there is or isn't an attempt by the club to extend his contract.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the coaches sit him down and say Paul, we want you to be part of the Future of the BUlldogs but we just need to see some improvment in some key areas such as defensive reads and one on one defense. As soon as we get the right moves on that you will get your opportunity in first grade.

Now if another coach/club come to him and say we want you in First Grade right now and he wants to ignore his existing coaches direction maybe he is going to be one of those players that just doesn't realise his potential. Will be sad but if he thinks he doesn't have to listen to coaches when they are not saying what he wants to hear that is the way it will go.

But yes no comments from Alamoti maybe he knows he is not ready, and is working on what he should be and wants to get into First Grade before he negotiates a new contract... If he gets a contract now it will be based on potential if he can get into First Grade and show some of that potential he will have a better negotiating position.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the coaches sit him down and say Paul, we want you to be part of the Future of the BUlldogs but we just need to see some improvment in some key areas such as defensive reads and one on one defense. As soon as we get the right moves on that you will get your opportunity in first grade.

Now if another coach/club come to him and say we want you in First Grade right now and he wants to ignore his existing coaches direction maybe he is going to be one of those players that just doesn't realise his potential. Will be sad but if he thinks he doesn't have to listen to coaches when they are not saying what he wants to hear that is the way it will go.

But yes no comments from Alamoti maybe he knows he is not ready, and is working on what he should be and wants to get into First Grade before he negotiates a new contract... If he gets a contract now it will be based on potential if he can get into First Grade and show some of that potential he will have a better negotiating position.
There's no denying Alamoti has talent but he's had some tough time with injuries and needs to work on his game to make first grade,
I just hope he gets his priorities right, ifhis manager is ill advising him then he must find another manager !

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imo Alamoti would be the first centre picked next year, Schoupp and Skelton can fight it out for the other spot.
I know he has defensive issues but so do many other players that play first grade, best way for him to learn might be in the deep end.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs: Paul Alamoti

Canterbury were able to stave off a number of rivals to keep the local junior at Belmore in 2023. The teen prodigy was eligible to debut this year, but the Bulldogs have played the long game. Alamoti spent this season in NSW Cup under noted development coach David Tangata-Toa, playing against more seasoned opposition and helping Canterbury to the grand final against eventual premiers Penrith.

Alamoti will use the upcoming pre-season to press for a centre spot, but is in for a battle in usurping Aaron Schoupp and Braidon Burns. A player of the future, Alamoti will again be a target for rivals willing to take a punt on his potential.
Covid and injuries have pushed his arrival date back some.

I doubt he has played 20 games in the last three seasons.

Definitely needs at least another half a season in reserves to work on his defense in my view.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think this whole article was about every clubs top ‘young gun’/rookie who is available come 1 November. Alamoti just happened to be the Bulldogs entry, and was just 1 of many rookies named along with Mavrik Geyer (Panthers), Riley Price (Cowboys), Kaeo Weekes (Manly), Jonah Pezet (Storm) etc.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Imo Alamoti would be the first centre picked next year, Schoupp and Skelton can fight it out for the other spot.
I know he has defensive issues but so do many other players that play first grade, best way for him to learn might be in the deep end.
I agree, most logical option.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's how I see it, Alamoti plays a very physical game, always has up through the grades. It is easy to forget that he doesn't turn 19 until next January. He isn't a finesse player, particularly fast or possessing an amazing side step, he just plays hard and runs straight. As he has progressed up the competition ladders he has been allowed to physically grow in stature and experience to match the way he plays the game, against opposition of similar age, size, strength and physical stature. BUT now he is at the point of graduating to NSW Cup where he will come against men with more years of experience, that are physically bigger, stronger and fitter.

Impact injuries are bound to happen because of the way he plays the game and if he progresses too fast for his body to handle then those injuries could easily become long term and end his NRL career before it starts. He needs time in Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup for his body and mind to grow to suite the style of player that he is.

Regular NRL next year, too early, way too early.

Always a Bulldog

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Politis was bluffing watching him, he kept Joshua Wong who is miles ahead.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We needed a good 7 and Bennett signed one, 18 year old Katoa, who is already better than most 7s in the nrl, definitely streets ahead of Flopagain and Sullivan.
I think this happened before Gus was appointed role unfortunately.