Canterbury recruit Tony Williams is an early favourite for "worst buy of the year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
HE is known as T-Rex, but there has been nothing ferocious or intimidating about Tony Williams in his first three games for the Bulldogs.A $600,000-a-year recruit, Williams is an early favourite for "worst buy of the year", with the 118kg giant ranked 44th in metres gained and 96th in tackles made.The former Test and Origin enforcer has made less tackles than Manly half Daly Cherry-Evans and Cowboys No. 7 Ray Thompson.His poor form has Bulldogs legends predicting he will soon be dropped to the bench, with Steve Mortimer claiming the former Manly back-rower was being out-played by rookies. It has been hard to disagree, with Williams making just 153m in 240 minutes of football."He isn't one of the six best forwards in the team at the moment," Mortimer said. "It is obvious that Des Hasler rates him, but from what I have seen he needs to improve.Advertisement"As a former player and a Bulldogs fan, he needs to step up a lot more."I think our two best forwards at the moment are Josh Jackson and Aiden Tolman. I love the way they are playing. They are putting in so much work and you can see their effort. He needs to have a look at what those kids are doing and do the same. That hasn't happened yet."Williams' position in the starting side is soon to become a topic of debate, with Frank Pritchard, Sam Kasiano and James Graham all to return by round eight."There are a few to come back and the young guys are really putting pressure on him," Mortimer said. "He isn't in the top six forwards at the moment and needs to have a go."The Tony Williams I saw at Many hasn't come to Canterbury."Williams made two poor defensive reads on Thursday night which lead to two Storm tries. He did not make an error with the ball but made four in the first two rounds.Premiership-winning prop Peter Tunks said Williams was a work in progress and he backed him to improve."I think he has plenty of talent," Tunks said."It isn't easy going to a new club and he has to fit in with the new structures. He has to roll his sleeves up and go back to square one. He needs to do the hard work to get back to where he was."I honestly think he will get it together, but he has to do the hard work. He just can't hang out on the edges and wait for good ball."Tunks said Williams would best be used on the bench."I would think Des would eventually use him as an impact player after 15 or 20 minutes," he said. "That is when he is at his hard-running best."

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...-buy-of-the-year/story-e6frexp9-1226604121848

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst I agree he is doing eff-all at the moment... I think it will also be a matter of "wait and see" how/where he settles in when our other regulars return. But so far, i'm pretty unimpressed.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue as Des says his time will come. It's all these neigh-sayers and arm chair critics that will have alot of humble pie to eat as they all line up to kiss T-Rex's a$$ later on in the season.

I'll trust Hasler's judgement over any would be key board critic any day.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue as Des says his time will come. It's all these neigh-sayers and arm chair critics that will have alot of humble pie to eat as they all line up to kiss T-Rex's a$$ later on in the season.

I hope you're right... because he is bl00dy WOEFUL at the moment.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
At the moment I don't think we have many options. I think design is giving him as much time on the field as he can until pritchard and co get back so he gets use to our style of play. Still no excuse for his less than ensuthastic runs when he gets the ball.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
His record speaks for itself.
So does Mortimers....

With 4 of our best players out this is the time that he should step up, actually it's easier now to shine than having a full strength team.

Sorry to break your heart but she rex suits him well at the current moment

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the moment I don't think we have many options. I think design is giving him as much time on the field as he can until pritchard and co get back so he gets use to our style of play. Still no excuse for his less than ensuthastic runs when he gets the ball.
I think Pritchard is the key here, as I believe he will influence T-Rex just as he does Inu and Big Sammy. As for his enthusiastic runs I would question more the delivery and quality of ball he receives during a game. It's hard to go forward when you have to prop and catch the ball behind you.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So does Mortimers....

With 4 of our best players out this is the time that he should step up, actually it's easier now to shine than having a full strength team.

Sorry to break your heart but she rex suits him well at the current moment
To each his own, IMO humble pie awaits. Even for Mortimer.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
As for his enthusiastic runs I would question more the delivery and quality of ball he receives during a game. It's hard to go forward when you have to prop and catch the ball behind you.
Excellent point but ffs can't he run onto the ball? There was at least 7 or 8 chances against the storm when we were 5 to 10 metres out where a T-Rex run would of resulted in barge over tries could of easily happened but in reality never did

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Excellent point but ffs can't he run onto the ball? There was at least 7 or 8 chances against the storm when we were 5 to 10 metres out where a T-Rex run would of resulted in barge over tries could of easily happened but in reality never did
In the last 30 seconds of the storm game we had a 3 on 1 situation where all we had to do was pass the ball and T-Rex was one of them 5 meters out, WHY did we kick it with 2 tackles left in the set???? I don't know.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The whole frustrating thing with trex is now we have players out we need him ,hes nowhere to be seen ,great that hell run hard in a full strenth team but what about now ffs

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score

really hate these posts where u can't think for yourself and yet criticize others who do. The guys been worse than shit and needs to lift. simple as that

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Did anyone see Ryan James score for the Titans last night? Steamed onto the ball and demolished 3 defenders to barge over the line.
This is what T Rex should be doing

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just imagine how good Williams would be if he had the heart of Josh Reynolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.