Canterbury No.7 Lachlan Lewis setting the bar for NRL defence

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph

April 12, 2019 7:00am

There aren’t many things more terrifying for a halfback in the NRL right now than having to stop rampaging Melbourne giants Felise Kaufusi and Nelson Asofa-Solomona close to the line.

Stopping one is hard enough but to chop them both down in consecutive tackles is pretty impressive for anybody, let alone a No.7.
But for Canterbury’s Lachlan Lewis, cutting down 224kg of prime rugby league beef was no big deal.

The moment came in the second half of the Bulldogs’ narrow loss to Melbourne last weekend when Craig Bellamy’s side trailed 12-6 and started to pepper Canterbury’s line.
First it was Kaufusi, who was cut down in a classic front-on tackle, before Asofa-Solomona was felled by a grasscutting effort from the 90kg halfback.

The kid can hit and he usually sticks.
According to Fox Sports Lab, Lewis is the best defender of any starting half that has made more than 65 tackles this year, having made 84 tackles and missing only six.

By comparison, Melbourne’s Cameron Munster has made 85 tackles but missed 12

"My defence is definitely something I pride myself on … Kaufusi runs that line a lot and he targets defensive patterns by almost running overs closer to the tryline. So our coaches spotted that and made sure I was aware of it. We talked about it all week, that was the tackle I had to do,” Lewis said.

“It looks a lot harder than it is. I just throw my body at theirs and hold on to whatever I can.”
Lewis’s defence is only one part of the 22-year-old’s evolution into a complete player.

Fox League analyst and commentator Braith Anasta feared Lewis’s playing style would lead to his stagnation and he would suffer a case of second-year syndrome as a result.
But the growth Lewis has displayed in opening month of the season shows he could be the franchise player the Bulldogs need.

I thought back at the end of the last year, other teams are going to work this guy out during the pre-season and they kind of did. In round one, I thought he was going to struggle and it’s going to be a hard year for him,” Anasta said.

“He didn’t have too much variety in his game. His kicking was his biggest strength and he was great at it but he really needed to add a few more strings to his bow and not be so predictable.

“Then he comes up with the kind of performance he did against Melbourne, were he was sensational. He threw that beautiful pass for Holland to score. If he continues to grow like that and work on his passing game then they can build a team around him.

The Capalaba Warrior junior spent the pre-season looking for an edge, honing his ball playing.

“With kicking it’s such a small, fine skill. Catch a ball, kick it and put it there. With attack it’s a different beast. Trying to read the play and then you have the skill of catch and pass, that’s what five-eighths get paid most to do, to try and create tries,” Lewis said.

“I’m constantly working hard on that. I can’t wait to get tested and try new things again.”

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Prince lewy is an absolute star, and you can’t help but love the guy.!! Lots of confidence goes a long way in this game.. and he has plenty lol.

Good luck for the rest of the year lachlan, do us all proud mate..!!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kaufusi runs that line a lot and he targets defensive patterns by almost running overs closer to the tryline. So our coaches spotted that and made sure I was aware of it. We talked about it all week, that was the tackle I had to do,” Lewis said.
I don't think our coach and his staff are as dumb as most people think. I like the way the team is building and playing together, I like our coaches, I like our new Admin and board. Over time their fruits will shine through. Go the Dogs!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you sure he's not related to Steve Mortimer?
Massive effort from the future star.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think our coach and his staff are as dumb as most people think. I like the way the team is building and playing together, I like our coaches, I like our new Admin and board. Over time their fruits will shine through. Go the Dogs!
Ha ha - was about to post the same thing, but you’ve saved me the characters...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is developing into a really good player and nice guy
I never had any doubts about him
He is a Lewis don’t forget !

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Are you sure he's not related to Steve Mortimer?
Massive effort from the future star.
The first time i watched The Prince play was against us when he was playing for the raiders at canberra. I watched him bring our big boys down with ease. I have watched every game of his i could since and cannot get enough of his passion. He has a big future ahead of him and now with his kicking game and even noticed his running the ball now, we have at last a player thousands of bulldogs supporters will mass to watch

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly believe the only way up from the previous regime was to wipe the board clean (no pun intended) and start again. A classic case of 1 step back, 2 steps forward. We kept the 2 or 3 players in the squad and continue to build around them brick by brick. A true indicator of how well the board and coaching staff are doing is by how the fans react to results on and off the field, and how young gentlemen like Lewis conduct themselves. Unlike Mbye and co, this guy plays football then speaks. Well done Canterbury.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
As good as these tackles are, I can't help but feel nervous with us relying on so many 1on1s out on the edges.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As good as these tackles are, I can't help but feel nervous with us relying on so many 1on1s out on the edges.
You are right, however this squad will be somewhat buoyed by little but important efforts like what they displayed against both the Storm and Tigers. Hopefully they continue to build rather than fold.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's our most important member in the squad as far as I'm concerned. I can almost deal with any player that is scratched out, except Lewis. There's something about him. There was a game or 2 where he didn't play late last year, and we looked like a joke and just completely lost.

Onto his defensive capability. He's defending amazingly not just for a Halfback, for a first grader in general. To have only played a handful of games, and do what he's doing is amazing. Shows his knowledge of the game, his ability to put his body on the line and handle it, as well as his underestimated strength.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know what you mean but if everyone was making their one on ones every time then technically we wouldnt have anything to worry about

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ummm......don't know if we are only relying on these one on one tackles. Generally one on one tackles on the edges are a little more prevalent than tackles made in the middle.
It's harder to get numbers in tackles outwide. Defenders standing 1, 2 and 3 in from the touch lines which is usually your winger, centre and halves need to be good one on one defenders.
Not saying getting numbers in defence is non existent out wide, whenever there is a chance to get numbers in a tackle then yes of course it should be done(the good old one goes high and one goes low).
But playing against a top drilled team like Melbourne, they are masters at exposing or isolating defenders one on one with their back rowers running good lines. Sometimes you have no choice against these top quality sides but to make your one on one tackles.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
and by over whelming majority's opinion Lewis was not upto the standard of the first grade.

Reserve grade performance means shit in the first grade. it has been proven so many times over the period of last 2 years at dogs.