News Canterbury look at shifting Burton to free up his running game

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His general play kicking should be a strength but he genuinely has no clue when it comes to kick selection and even let's himself down with execution as he just seems to try and kick the ball as hard as physically possible. I don't know how this wasn't addressed during the season, is he just not capable of accurately placing kicks?
He didn't do many high, high bombs this year, compared to last year

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it strange?

Do you think Johns, JT, Smith, Cronk, Slater etc ever stopped improving their game?

Do you think they would have listened to their coaches offering constructive feedback?
Thats not my point. Im referring to the fact that ‘effort areas’ are the main area of tutorlage for our captain. Why have we appointed a captain who lacks effort on field. Why is he still battling with being able to give effort. Our leader shouldnt be lacking effort and should be leading from the front setting standards. It is alarming that effort is a query amongst our leaders. RFM was accused of the same.

@steeliz same answer for u^

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not my point. Im referring to the fact that ‘effort areas’ are the main area of tutorlage for our captain. Why have we appointed a captain who lacks effort on field. Why is he still battling with being able to give effort. Our leader shouldnt be lacking effort and should be leading from the front setting standards. It is alarming that effort is a query amongst our leaders. RFM was accused of the same.

Your are shit stirring. Go play on the M1

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I suggest that it might be a tactic to publically tell Matt that he can't be complacent?

Do we honestly think that Mason got approved to broadcast that information?
Mason is a member of the football staff even if he didn't get approval it was some authority about it all.

Warburton and Ciraldo should be the only voices from the club we won't get that however.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone tell burto it ain’t about what he wants, it’s what the coaches want and what he can deliver. lol.

he’s had 1yr to make the position his? I dunno man. He’s not a half in my eyes, just seems too dumb / not smart and not vocal. Listen to Cleary, Cronk and Joey talk about the game, I have never heard burto talk like that. Maybe he can. Not sure.

Moving him to centre is absolute stupidity. If he’s not gonna do it in 5 8 ship him off. The more you chop and change his position here, we’ll end up with another Moses mbye.
Ship him off ??

He ain’t a cruise liner mate . Signed on a long term contract for $800k plus.

This page really needs posters to sign off that they agree the NRL is not an actual video game.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mason is a member of the football staff even if he didn't get approval it was some authority about it all.

Warburton and Ciraldo should be the only voices from the club we won't get that however.
But why would Gould tolerate Mason's loose lips, unless it was to benefit the club (from his perspective)

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But why would Gould tolerate Mason's loose lips, unless it was to benefit the club (from his perspective)
Thats what u sign up for when u employ mase. Gus surely wouldve been aware of that when he got him involved

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

So you are saying that a captain is perfect and shouldn't

A coach's job is to coach. Players should always be trying to improve. Captains should u ld lead from the front.

Only you could turn a player trying to better himself into a negative.

#sack Gus
#Sack Ciraldo

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ship him off ??

He ain’t a cruise liner mate . Signed on a long term contract for $800k plus.

This page really needs posters to sign off that they agree the NRL is not an actual video game.
Contracted. lol.

dangle him around the league, I am sure dragons, tigers and maybe even the knights or raiders will take a bite. He’s just not worth the price tag at centre. Like someone else said if we move him there, we can label this signing a failure

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you are saying that a captain is perfect and shouldn't
A coach's job is to coach. Players should always be trying to improve. Captains should u ld lead from the front.

Only you could turn a player trying to better himself into a negative.

#sack Gus
#Sack Ciraldo
Missed the point as usual. Im questioning why our captains effort areas are under the microscope for improvement. The effort of our captain should be a given. Perhaps this is why the technical aspects of his game have not improved whatsoever

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Missed the point as usual. Im questioning why our captains effort areas are under the microscope for improvement. The effort of our captain should be a given. Perhaps this is why the technical aspects of his game have not improved whatsoever
I actually think Burton might not have enough between the ears to know when an effort play is required rather than him being lazy. He seems like a bit of a space cadet.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Keep avoiding my question about mason I’ve asked you 3 times with no reply but hey you’re not really here to support the club.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fmd its the same ***** every fucking thread going at each other. I literally just skim all the other messages just to find certain users these days to find good quality rugba leeg talk. Go to DMs ffs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can I suggest that it might be a tactic to publically tell Matt that he can't be complacent?

Do we honestly think that Mason got approved to broadcast that information?
Confirmed by Burto he has been spoken to about his effort plays and, without actually saying it, pretty much confirmed CC has discussed with him about moving to centre. A bit of pressure put on him to consistently deliver if he wants 5/8 for the team is warranted.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No you missed the point. To lead from the front he needs to improve.

So obviously trying to do that.

Players making an effort to get better
#sack Gus. How dare he allow that to happen.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No you missed the point. To lead from the front he needs to improve.

So obviously trying to do that.

Players making an effort to get better
#sack Gus. How dare he allow that to happen.
Ok so u are saying we are doing things backwards. Appoint him to lead the club before he knows how to lead yeah got it

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think Burton might not have enough between the ears to know when an effort play is required rather than him being lazy. He seems like a bit of a space cadet.
Totally agree. Strikes me as someone u wanna just keep things simple with. Dont fill him up with truckloads of info and analysis and just get him out there playing second fiddel to a dominant halfback and inject himself as he sees fit. Dont put the pressure of leadership (which he isnt cut out for anyway) on him too and I think we will see his best footy. Unfortunately I think the hallmarks of Ciraldo-ball is information/complication overload which I dont think is in burtos best interest

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok so u are saying we are doing things backwards. Appoint him to lead the club before he knows how to lead yeah got it
No what I am saying is that I have never seen a perfect player especially not a 23 year old.

Everyone can improve.

Burton is making an effort to do that and you take that as a negative.

You could not have missed the mark by further if you tried.

Doggies player trying to improve and @04 Dreaming hates it, #sack Gus

Then claims to be a Doggies supporter.

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive run the sums and it would be a 1.75million/yr centre pairing. Its madness given our spine is cooked and have no decent forwards to get us on the front foot
Xerri's on $1.1m a year is he? I think you broke your calculator champ.
Burton and Xerri.....that's a tad over $1m