Canterbury coach Des Hasler behind Trent Hodkinson, Josh Reynolds rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler, and his endless search for perfection, has been revealed as the catalyst for the rise and rise of halves Josh Reynolds and Trent Hodkinson.

Unthinkable at the start of the year, the Bulldogs pairing are now Origin heroes for life after achieving in just two games what had previously proved impossible, over eight long years, for 17 halves and 16 different combinations.

After bringing down a Queensland dynasty last Wednesday night - and then backing up 48 hours later to beat Canberra away - the pair are now quickly stamping themselves among the most dangerous attacking combinations in the NRL.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/cant...+dailytelegraphnrlndm+(Daily+Telegraph+|+NRL)

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Des is doing a good job,
I just hope all thus media attention don't give em big heads and impede their growing as players,

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love how dessie is a ball breaker behind closed doors but publicly backs his players , i think well win the comp this year

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I love how dessie is a ball breaker behind closed doors but publicly backs his players , i think well win the comp this year
Lol, he is the type of coach, that you will always feel you are not good enough,
That brings out the best in a lot of players but can destroy others,
My dad was like that and it broke me.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol, he is the type of coach, that you will always feel you are not good enough,
That brings out the best in a lot of players but can destroy others,
My dad was like that and it broke me.
Yeah my best mates dad was the same nothing was ever good enough ,he played grade cricket ,st george in league ,state athletics but his dad made him feel like a loser ,its a fine line

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah my best mates dad was the same nothing was ever good enough ,he played grade cricket ,st george in league ,state athletics but his dad made him feel like a loser ,its a fine line
Not just sport but, my dad would find fault in everything,

It might work on some people, but others can really fall in a heap.

I think Des knows how far to push people to get the most out of them,
My dad was more like Steve Folks,
Just a general hard **** with no emotions or compassion of any sort.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes its tough mate I'm sure he had the best intentions and thought you were a star

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Skippy, but sometimes we can remind ourselves in some ways NOT to be like our parents.

I'm a teacher myself and usually I'd go for "I know you can do a lot better" rather than "you ain't good enough for me" manipulative rhetoric, imho it's more encouraging and it boosts the kid's self-esteem in a positive way, that it's their responsibility for themselves and for the team and they're not there to please some authority figure.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A coach/teacher has to treat everyone differently because each person reacts different.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't Des wipe his hands of Josh Reynolds earlier this year ? Pretty much gave him free reign to play what was in front of him ( he was at the time the next xfactor) but instead of Josh working alone he invited Trent to work with him in a pairing situation.
No doubt Des would have inspired them to play well but I think that Josh was the real instigator of the rise and rise out our halves.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Despite all that some ppl are still bagging them ffs ? Des is hard but fair , unlike Peter Sharp who is still fair when you are getting smashed lol

MrNiceGuy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Didn't Des wipe his hands of Josh Reynolds earlier this year ? Pretty much gave him free reign to play what was in front of him ( he was at the time the next xfactor) but instead of Josh working alone he invited Trent to work with him in a pairing situation.
No doubt Des would have inspired them to play well but I think that Josh was the real instigator of the rise and rise out our halves.
That's a real blind judgement.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
where are the question marks that were lingering over des's head??

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score

Depends on the mindset of an individual.
I would love someone to tell me how shit I am, it would only make me want to become better than what I am.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the mindset of an individual.
I would love someone to tell me how shit I am, it would only make me want to become better than what I am.
Plus I would want to break that persons said jaw lol

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but he still picks Inu in the starting line up. And he also chooses Ennis over Maitua/Templeman/whoever has the slightest running game. That makes his coaching decisions poor this year <- that's called sarcasm ladies and gentleman.

Des isn't superman. He can't fix all our problems overnight. But still, he seems to have done that anyway with the halves dilemma this year.

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's no coincidence that so many players have had there best season under the coaching of hasler, it has happened to often now to be considered a coincidence. I am not saying in anyway hasler can take an average player and miraculously turn him into a superstar, obviously that talent has to be there in the first place, but what ever he does to bring that talent out is clearly working for him.

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
It's easy to put on a training session and flog people in pre-season. The cornerstone of a good coach is how he can gain the respect and belief of every player, and uses that respect and belief to turn them into winners, week in week out. Des has proved that he is capable of doing this over the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.