Canterbury captain Andrew Ryan says he is determined to stay at Bulldogs next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A DEFIANT Andrew Ryan last night revealed he is keen to play on next year in the proud Canterbury colours.

Ryan broke his silence on his future after waking to more headlines that members of the Canterbury board want him and under-siege coach Kevin Moore to go.

"My preference is to stay at the Dogs," Ryan said. "It's something we spoke about at the start of the season when I was coming back from injury. I'm feeling good and I want to play next year.

"I'm pretty relaxed about it all. I haven't put a date on when to get it all done.

"If there was some semi-interest from an English club, I'd have a look at it. But for me, the priority is to stay here."

Ryan, 32, qualifies for the long-serving player scheme, which rewards those who have been at the same club for eight years or more. Clubs can allocate $200,000 in long-serving player payments that don't count in the salary cap.

Given Ryan is the only player to qualify at the Dogs, he could receive the entire $200,000 without adding to cap pressure.

Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg hopes to make a decision on Ryan's future in the next month.

Greenberg said the real issue is which back-rowers the club wants to retain.

"(Ryan) has told us he wants to be here again, and that's the sign of a great club man," Greenberg said.

"We just need to balance that desire out with the salary cap, the pathways for younger players coming through and making sure it all aligns together. It's never an easy decision."

Meanwhile, Canterbury champion Paul Langmack is angry that the longest family dynasty in rugby league could soon be at an end.

The 41-year era of the Moores at Belmore is under siege because Dogs coach Kevin Moore is under increasing pressure to retain his position.

Peter "Bullfrog" Moore is the godfather of Canterbury.

He started as club secretary in 1970 and remained the club's top dog for 25 years.

Peter's son-in-law Chris Anderson played and coached at the club, as did another son-in-law, Steve Folkes.

Son Kevin has been head coach since 2009.

Langmack, who won three premierships at the Bulldogs during the 1980s, is frustrated that Kevin Moore's tenure is under scrutiny.

"It's unfair. It is always the coach's fault. It's the same in every sport," said Langmack, who won titles in 1984, 1985 and 1988. "Why are they picking on Kevin? I think the players shoulder some responsibility."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...dogs-next-season/story-e6frexnr-1226071346794

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish more of our players were loyal as Ryan!

Number1dogsfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
hope Andrew Ryan Doesnt leave he has giving the club plenty surely with the long term players payment the club can afford to keep him

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
I am praying that we give him one more year. I don't think any of us are asking for like 3, just ONE.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we keep him, sign him for another year at least

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
The decision to keep Ryan or not is hardly the biggest problem at present! I can't see why not to keep him.

Breeding pups

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
sorry he needs to go way past his best give another youngster a go. hope he stays with the club but as a player he doesnt offer much.

Doggies Bro

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Andrew can stay for only though 1 year at the most. probly the best forward for the dogs aside from aiden tolman hes been great. But if he is to stay he should though at least stand down as captain as he dosent do much as captain. Anyways k moore you have to go yes maybe bulldogs dont turn up every game but it is kevin moores job to get them motivated and if hes not doing it right which this year he hasnt just sack him as so far has proved that 2009 was a fluke.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It would be sad if the club decided to shaft the bobcat. Loyal and at least you know he'll give his all every week.

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
hey langmack get your head out of the clouds all things come to an end

Status
Not open for further replies.