Canterbury Bulldogs mentor Des Hasler can be considered a modern super coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CANTERBURY coach Des Hasler sat down with The Daily Telegraph in a northern beaches park on Sunday afternoon and spoke about this week’s massive NRL grand final against favourites South Sydney.

Hasler, who continues to develop into a genuine super coach after qualifying for his fifth grand final in the past eight years, revealed his final words before the Bulldogs run out at ANZ Stadium, where the game will be won, his own individual achievements, what will motivate his team and why Canterbury will be underdogs.

Hasler: It’s what you do mate, you do what you do.

Ritchie: You might be humble Des but you have to concede it’s an amazing achievement.

Hasler: So much goes on, the people that you’re interacting with, the staff that you work with, the players you interact with, a grand final is a hard place to get to. A lot of hard work goes into it.

Ritchie: Others to make five grand finals include Wayne Bennett and Jack Gibson. I know you are awkward talking about yourself but you are in elite company.

Hasler: Not really mate, I think it’s like most things, you don’t want to compare eras. As I said, it’s what you do. It can become a bit of an obsession, particularly when you are involved with other people, you want to do your best for those people.

Ritchie: You are going into the match wounded though aren’t you Des?

Hasler: There are a few players carrying bumps and bruises. They all are at this time of year.

Ritchie: Will Mick Ennis (broken bones in foot) play?

Hasler: Highly unlikely.

Ritchie: Any chance?

Hasler: Unlikely.

Ritchie: Any replacements in mind?

Hasler: Maybe.

Ritchie: Canterbury were written off over the back end of the competition. What did you think of that?

Hasler: It’s been an interesting year on the football calendar. So much happens. I can’t even remember the start of the season. The Origin series seems like years ago. It’s a matter of holding it together. I thought the players were good in the early part. We got that seven (wins) out of seven which was really good for us. Then Origin came around and a lot of unexpected things happened. Seeing both halves (Trent Hodkinson and Josh Reynolds) selected was a great thing for them personally. Origin tends to put a dampener on things and you tend to back off again. Then towards the end of the season we came good again. It’s about riding it (the season) like that. You have to have a little bit of luck go your way here and there. But that doesn’t take away from the hard work the players have done, they have worked really, really hard. They have really stuck to it when they have been written off. And that’s a credit to them.

Ritchie: Des, you say you are underdogs every week but this time you actually are.

Hasler: They were pretty red-hot the other night, the Rabbitohs. They were superb and they played consistently for the full 80 minutes. I think you will see two important forward packs (on Sunday night). That’s where the game will be won and lost. And the way the Souths backs have come up — (Kirisome) Auva’a and Dylan Walker, they have been impressive as well.

Ritchie: If it is to be won and lost up front, can you hold the Souths pack?

Hasler: It just comes down to the day. We’re going to have to.

Ritchie: They have a monster pack Des.

Hasler: They’re a big, fast side.

Ritchie: You have some big boppers, too.

Hasler: We do. And they are all in good form at the moment, well they need to be.

Ritchie: What will be the final words you say to your team before they run out?

Hasler: That they have to really not miss the whole start because before you know it, the game is over.

Ritchie: Grand finals are always incredibly fast — like State of Origin.

Hasler: Definitely.

Ritchie: History shows the Bulldogs are a great and resilient club. Success is always close by.

Hasler: I guess the club has experienced grand final success over the years and decades. The majority of this side experienced a grand final and a grand final defeat two years ago. That’s good motivation.

Ritchie: How can you beat Souths. What can you target?

Hasler: You just have to stay in the arm-wrestle with them. Stay in the grind. We can’t afford back-to-back-to-back errors that both sides were guilty of in the game on Saturday night (Bulldogs v Penrith). Look, two sides are there on the night — we have a 50 per cent chance of winning and a 50 per cent chance of losing. A lot will come down to how it plays out on the night. Finals are always like that.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-p...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

So he didn't say no!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ennis deserves to play and to win this GF like no player ever has. Poor guy had a knee injury and missed the opportunity to win a premiership with the Broncos before be made his way to the Bulldogs.
He's been one of our best week in week out without been given the accolades. Fingers crossed he's right to play.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ennis deserves to play and to win this GF like no player ever has. Poor guy had a knee injury and missed the opportunity to win a premiership with the Broncos before be made his way to the Bulldogs.
He's been one of our best week in week out without been given the accolades. Fingers crossed he's right to play.
When we do win the grand final and ennis dosnt play all the players should stand over mitch brown for his ring

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Ricky Stuart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really, Really, Considered a modern super coach, he is more than considered a super coach

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

So he didn't say no!
Said it before, I'll say it again....

Appear strong when you are weak and weak when you a strong.

Ennis will play.

Moey999

Pitbull
Reaction score
Said it before, I'll say it again....

Appear strong when you are weak and weak when you a strong.

Ennis will play.
I really think so bro, the fractures are in his foot not his ankle, they could be the slightest of hairline fractures just like Tim Lafai's fractured hand he was playing with at the start of the season.

Just needle him up Des!!!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
5 Grand Finals in last 11 years for Des. Unbelievable!

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
I really think so bro, the fractures are in his foot not his ankle, they could be the slightest of hairline fractures just like Tim Lafai's fractured hand he was playing with at the start of the season.

Just needle him up Des!!!
Yes but you don't run on your hands unfortunately.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
When we do win the grand final and ennis dosnt play all the players should stand over mitch brown for his ring
Wouldn't they give Ennis a ring anyway? If not that is just a shit go by the NRL

DoggyDawg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ritchie: Any replacements in mind?

Hasler: Maybe.

Hasler probably said Mbye here...

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
as i was driving to the game on saturday, i was listening to the radio and they had interviewed des. this was the last thing that was said (and i paraphrase):

"i know its still a few hours away from kick-off des, but are you guys 1-17?"
"yes we're 1 to 17"
"so, no changes?"
"we're 1 to 17".

and thats where the interview ended. only to find out reni was out and browne was in.

hes a shifty bastard ;)

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
What a dopey thing to say. Give yourself an uppercut.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
He played fine for a further 5 mins after the incident and was only told he cant play when they saw the swelling..
True true, but he had a shit load of adrenalin in his body too. Once you stop is when the real pain sets in. I hope he plays!

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
shades of steve price / andrew ryan in 2004
but who will captain the dogs if no mick ennis

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What a dopey thing to say. Give yourself an uppercut.
Easy there tiger! It was a joke lol the country is on edge! loosen the fk up, its a footy forum no need for your seriousness

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ennis was in a moon boot on crutches this morning. He can't weight bare on the foot, let alone play 80 minutes.

Only way he will play is if he has a foot transplant.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Ennis was in a moon boot on crutches this morning. He can't weight bare on the foot, let alone play 80 minutes.

Only way he will play is if he has a foot transplant.
I'm willing to give my foot for the greater good

Status
Not open for further replies.