Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JANUARY 14 2017 - 12:00PM

Canterbury Bulldogs' Josh Jackson says turmoil of 2016 driving club in 2017
Writer : Jamie Marcuson

Canterbury do not want to relive 2016 any time soon.

A season that promised so much ended with the club embroiled in a tense off-field skirmish that eventually led to legend Steve Mortimer resigning from the board after saying he feared the Bulldogs were "losing our DNA" under coach Des Hasler.

Months of disquiet reached fever pitch after the Bulldogs were unceremoniously booted out of the finals in the first week by a young Penrith side.

Hasler eventually hung onto his job, but only after a marathon board meeting, and his long-term future at the club remains clouded.

"When we first started back, everyone was pretty keen because we all were pretty disappointed with the way – particularly the last six weeks of the season last year – went," he said.

"We weren't playing to our potential and we weren't playing how we thought we should be, and it didn't end well for us. So everyone was definitely keen to get back into it, for sure."

Canterbury's disappointing end to the season was a poor return for a squad that looked capable of mounting a title challenge early in the season. And Jackson says starting well will be the key to 2017.

"Obviously going into every season you're goal is to win the comp," he said. "If you're not thinking that you might as well not play the game.

"But early on in the season it would be great to get that top-four spot ... It would be good to just start the year well."

In an otherwise tough year, Jackson was one of the club's standouts, backing up his club form with three strong Origin performances for NSW and, ultimately, he collected the Brad Fittler Medal as the Blues' best.

With longstanding captain Paul Gallen retiring from representative football, Jackson's name has surfaced as a contender to lead the Blues come game one on May 31 in Brisbane. But while he would relish the chance to lead the state, Jackson says the NSW side is full of players who could do the job.

"It would definitely be great to be the Blues captain," he said. "It would be a very humbling thing. But there's a lot of guys in the group that could do it; there's a lot of leaders.

"Aaron Woods is the captain for his club [Wests Tigers], Matt Moylan, Robbie Farah, he's obviously been the vice-captain for a number of years; there's definitely a lot of other guys that could do it, too.

"No matter who gets the job, I'm sure that job will be a lot easier because there are a lot of guys there that have that leadership quality as well.

"[Gallen's] been the leader for a great number of years – nearly the best part of a decade – so it's definitely going to leave a big hole.

"He's inspirational to play with, and he's a great leader on and off the field. He leads by example. I'd imagine he'll leave a hole, but there's a good bunch of guys coming through at the moment that have played State of Origin, and a lot of guys who haven't played but have been a part of the squad and the emerging squad.

"It's really exciting at the moment for the Blues. I definitely think we're going to be successful in the future."

Last edited:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Talk is cheap.... we have the draw to finish top 5 if we are serious and step up.... its up to the coach and players on how far they will go

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
"We weren't playing to our potential and we weren't playing how we thought we should be"

Enough said.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's Jacko boys he's in mix for future dogs captain and possibly nsw captain. Don't expect him to say anything controversy or out of left field. It'll be cliche after cliche. The guys a machine just hope the young fellas take his lead on work ethic and professionalism

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don't have a 1/6/7 or 9 we don't have the cattle

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well.hopefully its not driving us into the ground

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Dare I say that most of us were sick of cheap talk about 2 1/2 years ago?
I clearly want to go on record that my frustrations are due to wasted potential and not "non belief".
I really need our boys to step up this year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We don't have a 1/6/7 or 9 we don't have the cattle
Well we have 2 of them with Lichaa and Mbye...playing at 6. The other 2 spots we have to unearth something....try and find a way for Cleeland and Abbey to get involved. Plus managing Reynolds and Hoppa. Rookies may be just what we need to get some form of enthusiasm going in this current playing squad. I think Brenko could work out well if played right.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
lichaa is not playing to des instructions, des doest tell him to pass it to tolman on the 5th tackle.
mbye is not a half, maybe a fullback or centre
Every single player in our team is on instructions from Des, otherwise they would be gone. Errors and effort the players are guilty of but gameplan and strategy...this is Dessie boys job!

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
you have to start putting the onis on the players mate, mbye said on record he controlls the team and calls the shots. every team has a game plan but the key players like the 6,7 and 9 would have a license to play what is in front of them, i know for a fact that lichaa is not instructed to pass to it a forward on the 5th.
the problem is Mbye not getting into a position to take control of the team, he spends the time out in the centres and makes reynolds do it
Well if you know for a fact than explain to me why we intentionally killed the ball off on tackle 5 many times this year? Certainly you are aware that we are a "structured" team and not and "add-lib" style team so therefor everything we do is planned. That's what is done at ball work training all week. Hell even add-lib teams are structured towards that style of play. Our halves don't have a licence to play what's in front of them, what games do you watch? I said the players faults are errors and effort. Things may change but up until this stage Mbye hasn't been allowed to "take control" of the team, he could though IMO.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
yes we are structured, but as Mbye has stated on record he controls the team, therefore he has license.
i was stating that lichaa would not be instructed to pass to tolman on the last, i dont mind the non kick as long as we use the ball on the last, but with Mbye standing in the centres and not demanding the football maybe it is mbye and not lichaa. maybe lichaa needs a dominating halfback
Des is clearly a Control Freak and we play accordingly. Mbye says that because he is suppose to say that. Our forwards are the ones who have been given free reign and that needs to change. Shouldn't we be asking, why is Tolman told to stand anywhere near the ball on the 5th let alone why we pass to him? We play negative football and I personally think our guys hate the way we play and hate playing footy. No kicking on the 5th tackle is an appalling tactic. No way our team is enjoying footy. Did you watch any Lichaa - Cronulla games before he came to us??

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
his 20's coach at cronulla is a personal friend of mine, he hasnt take the step up from 20's. lichaa needs to use his brain and cut tolman out but also mbye needs to get into a position where can take control. i am assuming you go to games here? if you watch mbye compared to reynolds, mbye is never in a position to take the ball at first receiver.so if he isnt there someone has to in his place.
So your personal friend told you he hasn't stepped up? He should know better than us that he hasn't been given the proper opportunity yet! Considering the task he has been given (tackle machine), I think he has gone solid to handle the defensive effort asked of him in his first FG season. The forwards need to clear out of the ruck area way before tackle 5 so our halves can be given the chance. Mbye needs an organising and calm HB inside him plus "genuine" full reign and we would see the best of Mbye.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Well Josh you guys might have been disappointed in the last 6 weeks of last year......but most have been disappointed in the last 4 fucking years!! And every year we hear the same bullshit in the off season...oh we're so disappointed in how our season ended...we're going to put in and make a point next year...yet our forwards get fatter and fatter, our backs slower and older and our halves more and more fucking useless and now we are rebuilding our backline with reserve graders of no great potential (forget what the delusional say) and we still have the same pig headed retarded money hungry prick coaching us (well collecting a pay cheque for reportedly coaching us)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"We weren't playing to our potential and we weren't playing how we thought we should be"

Love josh jackson but the above is bullshit

After every loss:

Reporter: james where did you go wrong?

James graham: i dont know

Its gonna be another season of "i dont know" especially when dymock comes out and says we were 2nd in tries scored up to rnd 19

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a bit of Josh Jackson's statement:

"We weren't playing to our potential and we weren't playing how we thought we should be, and it didn't end well for us".

That one sentence is screaming out loud that we have got a big problem. You don't dance around a problem; you either fix it or get rid of it. As Hasler is still here its obvious that we haven't got rid of our major problem. But its not just Hasler's coaching; its also the complexities that have gone with it.
  • Very poor recruitment and retention
  • Players selected out of positio
  • Players selected while still injured
  • No fullback since 2012
  • Part time centre/full back who won't play on Sundays
  • All round lack of fitness and strength
  • All of our recruitment are forwards who can't fire and backs who are useless unless selected on the left side (e.g. JMoz - BMoz - Mbye - Rona)
  • The Bulldog culture gone down the drain
So, even if we piss Hasler off we are still in big deep shit. And there isn't a guru/ coach/ mentor around that can fix it all in one season.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't they say the same thing before last years finals.
They same the same shit all the time.

Every year

What I have noticed in all these player interviews is all the players are crapping on about getting an early top 4 spot.

Fuck me
We all want them to get that.

But it's not a normal comment

Are they wanting to start well to get Des a new contract?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mbye apparently said the 1/2 back should control the team. He is correct, but he is not the 1/2 back to do the job.
He is not creative enough, has no real kicking game. He is not a 1/2 back. His greatest asset is his pace. He also tackles OK. He is ready made to be a centre.
Cleeland has a lot of potential as a 1/2 back. He must get first crack at the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.