Canterbury Bulldogs internal review into horror 2020 NRL season

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averilo seems to soft for FB.
And people think Meaney is a weakling.
I dont think Av needs the pressure of playing fullback without a mentor, coach, quality team in first grade.
Hopa has years of first grade FB experience and he is struggling.
Av wouldnt make any difference that would matter and it could possibly destroy what little confidence he has.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The positive is that the current mob are ' winx' odds at getting ousted at the next election.
The pain is nearly over, just one more season of crap.
internal review so everyone knows the club has failed from the boardroom through to the water boy

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welch got dominated against the Souths pack. I've been watching him more closely as some on here were suggesting we sign him. He got driven back multiple times and lost the ball.

He is very average. Looks like a younger version of Tolman and has had serious injuries.
I said this in another thread last week... Definitely tolman 2.0... not what we need.. we need a big fast and strong aggressor...

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The positive is that the current mob are ' winx' odds at getting ousted at the next election.
The issue is you need a viable & credible alternative, hopefully there are some collective individuals with some serious acumen proposing to genuinely turnaround the prospects of this great Club..

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
fuck winx, im sick of hearing about the winx, winx, winx

first seal was the real champion

beat winx over 1200m, then next race beat him by 3 lengths over 1400m, then beat him by over 2 lengths then by almost 5 lengths

ok so lets try it over 2000m, again first seal defeated the winx by 2 lengths

winx should be renamed lucky duck, he was lucky that the first seal got injured and was out for a year

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think the members will care who the alternative ticket is, the current mob have been woeful, it will be a case of anyone but them.
The issue is you need a viable & credible alternative, hopefully there are some collective individuals with some serious acumen proposing to genuinely turnaround the prospects of this great Club..

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think the members will care who the alternative ticket is, the current mob have been woeful, it will be a case of anyone but them.
That mindset gave us “the reform ticket” that made a bad situation dire

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the two wins this year, the 2020 team is the worst CB team since 1964 which won 1 and drew 1. One then needs to go back to the first year the club entered the Premiership in 135 to find another CB team that has won just 2 games. Hill & Co should also go.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I'd like to know is that why is it our juniors always seem to be physically weaker than other clubs juniors?
There was a philosophy permeating through junior sports that too much training including weights etc was detrimental to athletes long term - similar to the cricket dvelopment gurus ideas around fast bowlers. At the dogs its not just the junior players it is across the board - what i was told that in Pays first year pre season lacked the intensity of other clubs - dont know about the two following years - regardless the results are the same.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put it this way, the next reform ticket couldn't do any worse than this mob...
Eerily same theme of the Dib ousting. Remember, this mob WASN’T voted in, Dib & Co were voted out

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a philosophy permeating through junior sports that too much training including weights etc was detrimental to athletes long term - similar to the cricket dvelopment gurus ideas around fast bowlers. At the dogs its not just the junior players it is across the board - what i was told that in Pays first year pre season lacked the intensity of other clubs - dont know about the two following years - regardless the results are the same.
Agreed. We’ve looked obviously weaker, slower and softer than the majority of teams for a few years now

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've thought long and hard about what has gone wrong at our club.
Firstly the dib board thought we are a "big club" and we will always be 1 of the top teams, so when the Kevin Moore experiment failed they went and paid massive money with bonuses for Destroyer, who didn't have his heart in the club, ( both Baa and Turvey said that he didn't have the bulldogs DNA), all he was interested in was maximising his pay cheque. two GF masked the damage he was doing to the club with back ended deals etc. When if became obvious that the club was going down hill they panicked and paid ridiculous money for dead man walking Foran and Sharon, this was done in a desperate attempt by the board to save their arses. I was at the AGM where the Dib board was voted out, Dib himself admitted at the meeting, that they made mistakes.
Secondly, enter the current board, who with their nose in the air thought that they could fix it because they had the old bulldogs DNA, they obviously believed that once they fixed the cap situation everything would fall into place, and like Bullfrog they would sign any player they wanted at will.
They obviously didn't realise that the game and more importantly the Administration of the game had changed big time, particularly with the influence Politis and the Rotters now have on both the media and the NRL.
It is no secret that we are having problems recruiting and retaining players. I believe that the adverse publicity has also undermined the confidence of players, staff, and perhaps even some on the board.
If it is true that we've signed Waddell we are in even trouble than we can imagine, we have two many back rowers as it is, and it only proves that we have to take what other clubs don't want, and the reasons why our club finds itself in the situation it is in, are far deeper than many think.
I don't believe I have exaggerated our clubs problems, as for solutions I was hoping something might come out of the report that a PE group was interested in buying into the NRL, because I believe for our club to survive in the long term, BIG and I mean really BIG changes are needed in the Admin of the NRL as well as the media.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've thought long and hard about what has gone wrong at our club.
Firstly the dib board thought we are a "big club" and we will always be 1 of the top teams, so when the Kevin Moore experiment failed they went and paid massive money with bonuses for Destroyer, who didn't have his heart in the club, ( both Baa and Turvey said that he didn't have the bulldogs DNA), all he was interested in was maximising his pay cheque. two GF masked the damage he was doing to the club with back ended deals etc. When if became obvious that the club was going down hill they panicked and paid ridiculous money for dead man walking Foran and Sharon, this was done in a desperate attempt by the board to save their arses. I was at the AGM where the Dib board was voted out, Dib himself admitted at the meeting, that they made mistakes.
Secondly, enter the current board, who with their nose in the air thought that they could fix it because they had the old bulldogs DNA, they obviously believed that once they fixed the cap situation everything would fall into place, and like Bullfrog they would sign any player they wanted at will.
They obviously didn't realise that the game and more importantly the Administration of the game had changed big time, particularly with the influence Politis and the Rotters now have on both the media and the NRL.
It is no secret that we are having problems recruiting and retaining players. I believe that the adverse publicity has also undermined the confidence of players, staff, and perhaps even some on the board.
If it is true that we've signed Waddell we are in even trouble than we can imagine, we have two many back rowers as it is, and it only proves that we have to take what other clubs don't want, and the reasons why our club finds itself in the situation it is in, are far deeper than many think.
I don't believe I have exaggerated our clubs problems, as for solutions I was hoping something might come out of the report that a PE group was interested in buying into the NRL, because I believe for our club to survive in the long term, BIG and I mean really BIG changes are needed in the Admin of the NRL as well as the media.
Sobering summation. Glaringly obvious the Club is & has been bereft of leadership. This is not an embellishment, as it stands right now-if there’s a Sydney Club to be relocated, it’s the Bulldogs.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1 Jake Averillo

2 Charlie Staines

3 Will Hopoate

4 Nick Cotric

5 Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

6 Blake Green

7 Matt Burton

8 Ofahiki Ogden

9 Brandon Smith

10 Joe Ofahengaue

11 Josh Jackson

12 Raymond Faitala-Mariner

13 Adam Elliott

Reserves

14 Luke Thompson

15 Nick Meaney

16 Dylan Napa

17 Matt Doorey

Great looking team.

For me though, I'd have Staines at 1 and Avo coming off the pine (he'll be the 6 after the Green contract expires, so he needs 2021 to learn off Blake).

Meaney should be at 2, he's earnt a regular FG start. DWZ is on his last chance, but should improve under Barrett.

I'd also be looking at Jack Hetherington instead of Ofahengaue. I know he's a little loose, but we need an enforcer to bend the line and intimidate. Tamou would be ideal though.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sobering summation. Glaringly obvious the Club is & has been bereft of leadership. This is not an embellishment, as it stands right now-if there’s a Sydney Club to be relocated, it’s the Bulldogs.
I feel like that was buzz's angle with that article and trying take the focus of his beloved sharks and nominating the bulldogs for relocation....