Canterbury Bulldogs great Steve Mortimer urges Dogs to employ triple halves threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
well that is why we pay a million dollar to someone who can recruit well and has an eye to spot talent

it is not you or me making the decisions and if we stuff up with which player we keep , which to let go and which player to play where and in what position. we dont get the blame cos you and i are getting paid didly squat. but the person who is getting paid million bucks a season for exactly doing this needs to be held responsible if he stuffs up...cos that is his fucken job, he can not blame it on luck or player not living to his potential.
I know what u mean but the whole Thurston thing did fuck with everyone's head. Nobody can deny that.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbyes defence is well suited to the middle
He's an animal tackler and very fit strong young bloke
He could handle hooker easily in my books
Imagine once he starts scooting and taking on tiring forwards later in the half

Moses crunched a few blokes out there today once u watch it back

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get him out of the attack line believe me. His not quick enough between the ears and confuses his runners more than Reynolds does. His a Hooker and he'll become one of the best we ever seen.
I agree but can only imagine what young Woolford thinks of all this...poor bugger came across knowing Lichaa was a dead man walking and now Mbye has finally been confirmed as a shit half goes to dummy half and looks the goods...oh well i doubt he would have been at the dogs long anyway, he is a raider probs

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"to make it work, maybe play Reynolds at hooker..."

"... I don't think Mbye is good at halfback or 5/8"

Love Morts. Speaks from the heart without thinking it through.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have to admit
My preference for this season is
Brett Morris at fullback and hope his body holds out

Reynolds at 6 playing exactly how he is at the moment

Frawley at halfback controlling the game and taking the magority of the kicking duties

And mbye at dummy half

Unfortunately for lichaa I see no room for him in the top 17

I feel for the kid
I really do, I really hoped for more from him.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree but can only imagine what young Woolford thinks of all this...poor bugger came across knowing Lichaa was a dead man walking and now Mbye has finally been confirmed as a shit half goes to dummy half and looks the goods...oh well i doubt he would have been at the dogs long anyway, he is a raider probs
Yeah but there may be a twist. Hasler doesn't mind playing Lichaa as a hooker / Lock which ain't a bad idea considering Lichaa's defending is pretty good and he can ball play a bit. Whether that keeps him at the club or not is a different story because Woolford may take that position. Woolford is bigger, quicker, can kick goals and would be a superb x factor off the bench once he settles in to 1st grade.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just like to throw it out there... Did they have it wrong all along? Did they have it wrong when they said Mbye was the next Thurston or Cronk. Did they not consider Smith?

Do the dogs have their hands on the next Cam smith and not know it yet??
If you look at what Mbye did when Graham put Bmoz into a gap the closest player to keep up with him from a standing start out of dummy half was Mbye who then gave the pass to Holland to score. Now there would be no chance Lichaa would have been there and it is a no brainer Mbye should be dummy half. Going forward I think Des might start with Lichaa to take on the early onslaught then make the switch like he did. Also, Bmoz has to stay fullback. What a wasted talent he is on the wing seeing what he can do at fullback. One things for sure things aren't looking so bad because finally some changes are being made and we looked like an entertaining side again. Great atmosphere out there again. Good Friday game I think is the best game to attend.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get him out of the attack line believe me. His not quick enough between the ears and confuses his runners more than Reynolds does. His a Hooker and he'll become one of the best we ever seen.
He has a great football brain

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you look at what Mbye did when Graham put Bmoz into a gap the closest player to keep up with him from a standing start out of dummy half was Mbye who then gave the pass to Holland to score. Now there would be no chance Lichaa would have been there and it is a no brainer Mbye should be dummy half. Going forward I think Des might start with Lichaa to take on the early onslaught then make the switch like he did. Also, Bmoz has to stay fullback. What a wasted talent he is on the wing seeing what he can do at fullback. One things for sure things aren't looking so bad because finally some changes are being made and we looked like an entertaining side again. Great atmosphere out there again. Good Friday game I think is the best game to attend.
I did actually and I also saw the massive smile on his face celebrating that try... Call it silly but Its a different Mbye in hooker, I mean even his posture changes. As much as I love Bmoz It just kills me watching him in FB because I'm just waiting for him to go down and not get up. We still need a Rock star FB and if we can get Teddy without losing this group then we got the comp sown up.

Good Friday? I don't do to many games anymore like I use to but that's my first good Friday and it wont be my last. Was officially my little girls first game and she absolutely loved it.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Read between the lines, Mortimer is trying to be political in this situation something that he is not, he is too honest and kind hearted and has the best of intentions for the club if you can't see that you have problems. for the ones who questions that, Read His History at Canterbury !

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"to make it work, maybe play Reynolds at hooker..."

"... I don't think Mbye is good at halfback or 5/8"

Love Morts. Speaks from the heart without thinking it through.
I thought a few weeks back Mbye to fullback and Reynolds to hooker/dummy half but i have changed, Reynolds stays at five height (for now subject to Foran only coming on board) or super sub from 2018, Mbye dummy half and Frawley half (subject to signing Cronk as half)

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just like to throw it out there... Did they have it wrong all along? Did they have it wrong when they said Mbye was the next Thurston or Cronk. Did they not consider Smith?

Do the dogs have their hands on the next Cam smith and not know it yet??
Give the man a prize, you are 100% right, i thought the very same thing when i heard dickhead Gould say that Mbye will be a very expensive dummy half, Smith is worth every cent he gets and i doubt its chicken feed, Mbye has everything Smith has plus speed.
Of course Smith is more rounded now after so many years at the top but Mbye is a treasure in waiting at dummy half, potentially!?

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did actually and I also saw the massive smile on his face celebrating that try... Call it silly but Its a different Mbye in hooker, I mean even his posture changes. As much as I love Bmoz It just kills me watching him in FB because I'm just waiting for him to go down and not get up. We still need a Rock star FB and if we can get Teddy without losing this group then we got the comp sown up.

Good Friday? I don't do to many games anymore like I use to but that's my first good Friday and it wont be my last. Was officially my little girls first game and she absolutely loved it.
Agreed again BUT BMoz is the very best fullback option we have this year bar none. Hopoate is dull and boring, Abbey will be great if he hangs around long enough or if Tedesco isnt signed.
Yes he has been injury prone but he isnt Chase 'made of glass' Stanley (no disrespect Chase...i hope your eyes didnt break reading this...lol).
Anyone can play winger really, yes some are better than others and great wingers know how to finish tries but Hopoate could only come back as winger (and this no sunday thing for me rules him out for good)

Last edited:

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Moses was great at dummy half. Reynolds and Frawley combine really well and feed off each other, a great combination so far. Lichaa is a great defender but needs to work on his passing game. Why haven't the coaching staff been helping him with this? Give the guy a chance, when he plays well he's an assett to the team and his running game has improved this season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol don't even put Mbye in the same breath as Smith.
Mbye got a pass mark from Friday and I like him there if he back himself he can be a Isaac Luke type Hooker
Lol because Smith was a future immortal at 23. You would have been saying the same thing comparing Smith to Buderus or even Walters at 23 and his now surpassed them.

Mbye has much more skill than Luke.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best hookers are the ones with brains though, so saying he's not smart so stick him at hooker isn't the best reasoning

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lichaa never really reached his potential, a third kicker option would be great, its gotta be the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.