Canterbury Bulldogs great Steve Mortimer recovering after heart attack

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who can forget those chip and regather tries. Or those scything cover tackles, or oddly enough the shorts that were a different shade of blue to his team mates.

You are a CHAMPION Turvey. My favorite all time player, a true bulldogs legend.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery. We love ya Turvey !

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this with us Turvey. I hope you read the kennel. As you say, you've been active in your life after footy and despite this, you still encountered a major arterial blockage at age 65. Let it be a warning to all of us....especially in these stupid lockdown times.....with NSW now at 50% fully vaccinated against covid that regular exercise, a proper diet and regular heart checkups are MORE IMPORTANT than social distancing, mask wearing and lockdowns. You've convinced us...and the Bulldogs family are so grateful you and Karen realised how serious this could be and sought immediate medical attention. Now all we need to do is convince our blinkered Premier that people are unquestionably putting off regular heart health and other checks due to the inane lockdowns and the sooner we come out of them the more lives we will save. May you live long Turvey. May the Dogs bring great joy to you next year and in coming years.
I don't know if he is vaccinated or not, but in the US if you have a heart condition & are not vaccinated, many doctors will refuse to see you. I saw a video of a heavily pregnant lady with a heart issue who was refused a medical appointment because she wasn't vaccinated. It's insane. What happened to the Hippocratic oath?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great news that Turvey is on the way to recovery & didn't suffer the fate of Steve Folkes. I guess he was lucky his wife was there for him. All the best to you Steve & thanks for all the great memories.

Surely Steve's 2 ailments & Robbos illness will kick the club into gear to do some long form QUALITY VIDEO interviews before we lose them. Their contributions to the club MUST be immortalised & done soon! Someone on here has contacted John Khoury regularly, please give him a nudge on this important project. Make it into a DVD series & sell it. I'll buy the set!

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a relief for Turvey and his family. The poor bloke has had a rough trot lately.

Hopefully this and the Robbo news triggers the club to honour our legends more. I think it’s a area the club could improve on. I’m sure JK is on it.
It’s amazing what they can do with cardiac stenting these days. So much better than the old CABG (coronary artery bypass graft)….shorter stay in hospital, much quicker recovery time.
Sounds like he dodged a bullet though. Good thing too - he’s earned at least one lucky break!

Turvey has always been my all time fave Dogs player. I remember as a 13 year old getting my Bulldogs cap signed by him at the Easter Show. He was a superstar then…he just said a couple of words to me… “Good on ya, champ.” Felt 10 foot tall. Kept that tattered cap for years.

Absolute legend, Turvey Mortimer. Get well soon, champ!

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Gee not good, hope he gets well soon.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some good news people Steve was back on his daily walk this afternoon,
he was in very good spirits & looked fighting fit.
Lets hope our greatest bulldog has many more years under his belt.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely if there is a God (of whichever denomination) they will look after out players who aren't well at the moment like Turvey, Robbo & Tui because after all what is God spelt backwards?

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely if there is a God (of whichever denomination) they will look after out players who aren't well at the moment like Turvey, Robbo & Tui because after all what is God spelt backwards?
Lucky for me I don't come to the Kennel for a Theology lesson.