Canterbury Bulldogs enter race for Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So people saying forwards wins games not the halves..
What happen to the allstars hey!!
Big forward pack shit halves yes Foran did absolutely nothing!
Indigenous Small forward pack and Thurston and kicked their ass!!
I agree you need a good forward pack to go forward but you need the halves to finish it off!!
No you need the fullback to finish it up i.e Inglis

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair,
The Indig players, played their hearts out to the death,
The NAS team couldn't give a rats, and we're no doubt told by their club coaches not to get injured, they treated it like a training run,

If the nAS were fair dinkum they would have put 50 on the iAS team,

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
So people saying forwards wins games not the halves..
What happen to the allstars hey!!
Big forward pack shit halves yes Foran did absolutely nothing!
Indigenous Small forward pack and Thurston and kicked their ass!!
I agree you need a good forward pack to go forward but you need the halves to finish it off!!
Usually good big forwards get on top of good small forwards but in the All Stars it wasn't the size of the dog in the fight, it was the size of the fight in the dog.

No matter the size though, the forwards must get on top to give the halves space to attack.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see Mitchel Piss had another extraordinarily poor representative game lol' Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nothing abnormal about a half running sideways. They are meant to do that, look for gaps and link with outside players. Occasionally go straight coz its unexpected.

Only thing Reynolds needs to improve is he should pass more and not try and score himself so often. But that can be coached, we don't need a new half for it to happen

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nothing abnormal about a half running sideways. They are meant to do that, look for gaps and link with outside players. Occasionally go straight coz its unexpected.

Only thing Reynolds needs to improve is he should pass more and not try and score himself so often. But that can be coached, we don't need a new half for it to happen
There is everything wrong with the him running sideways, makes our outside backs ineffective and usually stalls the attack. You also don't look for gaps by running sideways, you look for gaps with good vision or you create gaps by engaging the defence, both of these things he rarely ever does.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
There is everything wrong with the him running sideways, makes our outside backs ineffective and usually stalls the attack. You also don't look for gaps by running sideways, you look for gaps with good vision or you create gaps by engaging the defence, both of these things he rarely ever does.
All halves run sideways a lot. The main problem with the backs is they are often standing too flat, and not running onto the ball. That isnt the halves fault. We need to stand deeper in attack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
All halves run sideways a lot. The main problem with the backs is they are often standing too flat, and not running onto the ball. That isnt the halves fault. We need to stand deeper in attack.
But they don't CONSTANTLY run sideways. Our main problem is the halves, we don't have many other problems. There kicking game is ineffective so we struggle to build pressure with that, there passing game is ineffective so they fail to hit the mark most times. Our style of play is flat so there is no point in saying our backs should stand deeper. Our halves combo can not execute this style of play at the level required and that is why our forwards have a much larger role in attack. I have said it before and i will say it again, We will NEVER win a comp with our current halves combo. They don't play off each other, they don't support each other, there is not enough finesse between the pair, the kicking game is poor...i could go on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
But they don't CONSTANTLY run sideways. Our main problem is the halves, we don't have many other problems. There kicking game is ineffective so we struggle to build pressure with that, there passing game is ineffective so they fail to hit the mark most times. Our style of play is flat so there is no point in saying our backs should stand deeper. Our halves combo can not execute this style of play at the level required and that is why our forwards have a much larger role in attack. I have said it before and i will say it again, We will NEVER win a comp with our current halves combo. They don't play off each other, they don't support each other, there is not enough finesse between the pair, the kicking game is poor...i could go on.
yeh they do run sideways a lot. Watch more matches.

Yeh we can certainly win the comp with our current halves. NSW won the origin series with same said halves.

And finally, i edited/removed part of your post. Taking it a bit far imo.

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree our backs are partly to blame, they should be deeper they should run criss cross lines.
But it is partly Joshs fault to he's too predictable..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree our backs are partly to blame, they should be deeper they should run criss cross lines.
But it is partly Joshs fault to he's too predictable..
I can agree that Josh should try passing more and not running it himself so much. The opposition expect him to run and throw dummies, he does it so much. He should pass more than not, and then when he does throw a dummy and go himself, it might surprise someone. This can be coached though, as i said we dont need to replace him, Des should be onto it

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
yeh they do run sideways a lot. Watch more matches.

Yeh we can certainly win the comp with our current halves. NSW won the origin series with same said halves.

And finally, i edited/removed part of your post. Taking it a bit far imo.
Who gives a toss about SOO, Reynolds was highly ineffective, a speed hump in defence, and in fine form with his grubby play. SOO has no effect on the NRL season, both are played in a completely different style and pace. I want to win a Premiership, not a stupid mini series. They are not the halves combo to lead us to a Premiership. Reynolds has failed to lead a side 2/2 times in GF appearances and Hodko has failed in his 1 appearance. I and many others have no faith in the current pairing to lead us to glory and for good reason. We will miss our Premiership window if we continue with this failed halves pairing.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Who gives a toss about SOO, Reynolds was highly ineffective, a speed hump in defence, and in fine form with his grubby play. SOO has no effect on the NRL season, both are played in a completely different style and pace. I want to win a Premiership, not a stupid mini series. They are not the halves combo to lead us to a Premiership. Reynolds has failed to lead a side 2/2 times in GF appearances and Hodko has failed in his 1 appearance. I and many others have no faith in the current pairing to lead us to glory and for good reason. We will miss our Premiership window if we continue with this failed halves pairing.
So I guess since we have hod and Reynolds this year you have nothing to cheer for coz we can't win the comp with them by your logic. Sucks to be u lol. Season hasn't started and u r writing us off. Cowboys or manly should win the comp every year using ur logic.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So I guess since we have hod and Reynolds this year you have nothing to cheer for coz we can't win the comp with them by your logic. Sucks to be u lol. Season hasn't started and u r writing us off. Cowboys or manly should win the comp every year using ur logic.
Exactly this. U mate actually have truth behind ur statements

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Either way you have to back our boys going one better this year otherwise what's the point following?

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

There's everything wrong with it when he runs so far sideways his outside backs may as well be sitting in the corporate box. He totally ignores the option of an inside runner and gives his centre and wing no room to do their stuff. And he does it so often he's turned himself from an attacking player into a target.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats not my logic though. My logic is that you require balance through out the whole squad to give you the best chance of winning a comp, something we do not currently have. For years Cowboys have not been good enough, and that is down to inconsistency and ability in there number 9. Manly have also had a much weaker forward pack in comparison to there backline and halfs pairing, however they have usually had enough points and good structure built into them from years of coaching from Des to be more than competitive.

We lack balance, our forward pack is over stacked with talent, our halves are average and our backline is improved. We are heading into this season without a fullback, and a rookie hooker so there will be even MORE pressure on our current halves to provide direction and points, something they already struggle with.

i have not wrote us off yet, our halves paring will hopefully change during the season... injuries, off field incidents and ref blunders will also occur and change the season. But imo, we have not given ourselves the best chance to take out the comp, we lack balance and have not addressed major issues such as kicking game and our ability to create points.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Either way you have to back our boys going one better this year otherwise what's the point following?
I WANT them to go one better, but i can't see it happening. I have made an assessment on our squad and our chances of winning just like others on here have done about other clubs...but because i have done this for our club my support of the club is being questioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.