Canterbury Bulldogs enter race for Daly Cherry-Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is good friends with barba you must remember, he also potentially ruined manly. Not sure what he is like in person but he seems like a diva that could devide a team, but we are desperate for some attacking flair so its tough call.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I had the same thought myself. And all I came up with was that Hok's off season knee surgery hasn't come good. I've got no idea how Hok is going re his recovery but if his knee has let him down DCE would be a reasonable replacement.
Or its leverage to get Hodko to sign quickly and cheaply

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He is good friends with barba you must remember, he also potentially ruined manly. Not sure what he is like in person but he seems like a diva that could devide a team, but we are desperate for some attacking flair so its tough call.
I don't buy into this shit that he divided the team, Manly needed to throw more money at him to keep him and the old crew got pissed because there mates were let go such as Glen Stewart. His manager Gavin Orr does seems to be a **** of a manager for clubs to deal with though... i but more of the issues down to him and not DCE

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hodkinson is nowhere near on the same level as DCE, the way the dogs set up their plays using the forwards as ball distributors, is a perfect example of the lack of trust Des had in him and Keating. We desperately need a half who actually gets hold of the ball 3-4 times a set and has creativity and spark and guide our team around the field.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DCE is nice to the media but I'm pretty sure he's a completely different person behind closed doors. I'd say it's still likely that Foran will head to Parra and that Manly will be able to keep DCE because they'll be able to throw alot more money at him.

If he signs a 3 year deal with a club they'll be in the same position at the end of the contract where he'll drag it through the media won't show any loyalty and will head to the highest bidder.

The club that signs him will need to shed a fair few players to accomodate him unless the deal is made up mainly of third party agreements. If Manly hang onto him there's going to be some very ordinary players around him in 2-3 years time.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whether we sign any of DCE or Foran we should not re-sign Hodkinson

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love that Jeff Robson gets a mention.

If true I wouldn't be upset about it, he is the heir to JT's throne, seems like a bit of a knob though. Do you think under Des he might settle that ego a little?
Ego? Having heard him talk a number of times, I have never seen any indication of an ego. It's those other half wits at manly that are trying to make him look bad for simply chasing his "market value".

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Do we really want Gavin Orr around our club again??? Does the Barba fiasco ring a bell???

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate Manly with a passion, but the way these two (or managers) have dragged their club through all this crap, meh..no thanks. Would rather mediorce halves (as some arm chair critics have suggested on this forum) than them. In my eyes..we're a champion team..not a team of champions! Thank **** none of you dicks are on the retention committee.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A team doesn't just win a Premiership based on having the best Halfback. The Cowboys are proof of that with Thurston.

Hodkinson and Reynolds are our guys and are the balance to a super strong Bulldogs squad. We wouldn't have the high quality depth we now have in all positions if we had the likes of Foran/DCE on our books.

We need to re-sign Hodkinson now before someone else comes and takes him right under our noses and blows out his real value. I think he's going to have a cracker 2015 if he continues to grow his game from 2014 and most importantly has some luck with injury.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hate Manly with a passion, but the way these two (or managers) have dragged their club through all this crap, meh..no thanks. Would rather mediorce halves (as some arm chair critics have suggested on this forum) than them. In my eyes..we're a champion team..not a team of champions! Thank **** none of you dicks are on the retention committee.
In particular if your name is marley

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't buy into this shit that he divided the team, Manly needed to throw more money at him to keep him and the old crew got pissed because there mates were let go such as Glen Stewart. His manager Gavin Orr does seems to be a **** of a manager for clubs to deal with though... i but more of the issues down to him and not DCE
All the good players who have left Manly and the rest who are trying to claw their way out would disagree

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Not one quote from any person in the whole article. All we know is "it is understood". Great source smh. Another period of people putting down Hodkinson and getting wood over DCE coming up.

The season cant start fast enough, so the sports journos have something real to write about.

Im happy with Hodkinson. I dont believe we need DCE to win a comp. Wouldnt be happy if we shed a perfectly fine half, to pay double for another.
Well said mate

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In particular if your name is marley
How many Premierships have we won with our current halves pairing? 0. What is our biggest weakness? Creativity. Anyone that thinks our current halves pairing is good enough to win us a comp has serious problems.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I thnk the DCE offer is just to say to Foran, "hey matey, we arent going to dangle this juicy carrot forever, whoever wants it gets it"

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
All the good players who have left Manly and the rest who are trying to claw their way out would disagree
Good players? Ha. More like all the old boys having a sook because their mates are being cut loose to make way for the future. DCE is not the issue at Manly.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Good players? Ha. More like all the old boys having a sook because their mates are being cut loose to make way for the future. DCE is not the issue at Manly.
The problem at Manly is the foundation Des left Toovey can't last forever an Toovey might actually have to do something now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The problem at Manly is the foundation Des left Toovey can't last forever an Toovey might actually have to do something now
Manly fans still go on about the back-ended contracts Des left...but atleast they nabbed some Premierships during their window, wish we could say the same. I don't think Toovey will last, doesn't seem like a good man manager that is required from head coaches today.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wear blue and white glasses like the rest of you but ffs there are some myopic people in this thread. Hodko and Reynolds are bog average halves. How they got picked for SOO is beyond me. DCE is better than both put together! In several Manly games last season, they won on his skill. I remember one game in particular where they scored a few tries, all from his brilliance. He's not the best hb in the comp but he's close. With our forwards and backline, he could turn us into a dynastic team.

I understand bias towards your club but this is beyond a joke. I've read many reasons why the club shouldn't sign DCE and they're all lame! He's not a nice bloke waahhhh. His manager sucks waahh waahhh. Hodko and Grub make our team good :/ seriously?!

I like Trent and Josh a lot but I like my team winning more! I know we made the GF with them and the other year with Keating instead of Trent, but that was (obviously) mainly due to our pack.

Des clearly realises he can't get much more out of what we have, hence he has to sign someone, and if the club can afford him, I'm all for signing DCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.