Canterbury Bulldogs centre Tim Lafai shocked by Manly Sea Eagles switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs centre Tim Lafai shocked by Manly Sea Eagles switch speculation | smh.com.au

Canterbury centre Tim Lafai said he had no idea where social media posts that linked him to Manly in 2016 had originated amid speculation Parramatta centre Will Hopoate could be at the Bulldogs on a multi-year deal in 2016.

After a protracted contractual dispute, Hopoate's barrister, Julieanne Levick, is expected to serve a statement of claim at the Supreme Court on Friday seeking the Parramatta contract in full, damages and all legal fees after a stand-off about the validity of the deal that was offered to him by the club's former chief executive, Scott Seward.

The Eels had not attempted to register the contract with the NRL because club officials realised the money being offered to Hopoate would tip them over the salary cap. Parramatta have argued Hopoate's contract wasn't valid because it hasn't been presented to the NRL.

Hopoate's impending legal action has fuelled speculation he was poised to join the Bulldogs on a minimal contract with the Eels propping up his salary by several hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Such a move would reunite Hopoate with his former Manly coach, Des Hasler, who is now at Belmore but the rumour mill suggested that scenario would result in Lafai leaving the club despite a year remaining on his Bulldogs deal.

Lafai said on Thursday afternoon the rumours were astounding. "I've heard about them, I only found out a few days ago through my agent but I haven't looked too much into it," the 24-year-old said. "I'm happy at Canterbury ... as far as I know it's just rumours going around. [It's annoying] but that's just part of being in this industry, as a footy player. There's always rumours and you take them as they come but there's no truth in that one."

Hopoate's manager, Tyran Smith, said while there was interest from a number of clubs in signing the State of Origin player should he and the Eels part ways, he insisted there was no agreement with anyone. "There is nothing there at all," Smith said. "The report is not right, nothing has been signed and nothing has been agreed to."

Lafai said he did not want the speculation concerning him - and Hopoate - to be a distraction ahead of Canterbury's match against the Gold Coast on Sunday. "I've got to focus on my footy and the Bulldogs for these last few matches," he said. "You can't worry too much about what's [said to be] going on."

Meanwhile, Bulldogs winger Sam Perrett said he was hopeful of being able to announce a new deal with the club before Sunday's match against the Titans. "We've been talking but the deal hasn't been officially done," he said. "It's a great team, a great club and the coaching staff has been fantastic. Des [coach Hasler] has the record and shows what he can bring out of teams. That's why I'm excited by the thought of staying here. I would like to finish here. I'm 30 now and I'd definitely like to stay for a few more years."

Last edited by a moderator:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs centre Tim Lafai shocked by Manly Sea Eagles switch speculation | smh.com.au

Canterbury centre Tim Lafai said he had no idea where social media posts that linked him to Manly in 2016 had originated amid speculation Parramatta centre Will Hopoate could be at the Bulldogs on a multi-year deal in 2016.
Lol. Where else but thekennel.

Ricky Stuart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Bulldogs winger Sam Perrett said he was hopeful of being able to announce a new deal with the club before Sunday's match against the Titans. "We've been talking but the deal hasn't been officially done," he said. "It's a great team, a great club and the coaching staff has been fantastic. Des [coach Hasler] has the record and shows what he can bring out of teams. That's why I'm excited by the thought of staying here. I would like to finish here. I'm 30 now and I'd definitely like to stay for a few more years."
Fuk off

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Te lurker from sportal has been raising it from early on in the year tbh

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the club signs Perrett for a few years they've lost the plot, one year absolute max.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Is that the same Tyron Smith who was a fringe first grader about 20 years ago?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He is shocked?

I am shocked he is still in first grade.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club signs Perrett for a few years they've lost the plot, one year absolute max.
Maybe we can let him go to the Sharks in exchange for Valentine Holmes?

I like Perret but I think it's time for him to be offered a role at the club and the next gen to step up or in

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury centre Tim Lafai said he had no idea where social media posts that linked him to Manly in 2016
Oh well if we couldn'd sell Hodko to 'em we'll try Lafai instead

Hopoate's impending legal action has fuelled speculation he was poised to join the Bulldogs on a minimal contract with the Eels propping up his salary by several hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Of course! We'll do another "Perrett-Inu" one season wonder deal on the el cheapo

All this sounds like a plot for a cheap paper back novel but I can't see any of it happening in the real world of Belmore.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know perrett is probably on a fraction of what Pritchard is on. But if we are moving on Franky who is still one of the top players in the team and a guy so many players look up to, I don't see how we can keep perrett who's form has been declining this year. Without a doubt his worst season since coming over for sammy. Does he really want to be the guy that stuck around that year too long?

I have been critical of him in the past. I have massive respect for the bloke off the field. I think he should be a role model for all footy players. But just can't see how dogs will be offering him first grade money to keep him.

If management see him as the starting winger next season we may have a problem. Champion bloke, solid player but with wingers who are bigger, faster and stronger now we can carry nice guys in the team.

On the hoppa thing, I have a feeling if he comes des will persist with him at fullback. He always had a thing for him in the number 1. So might try mould him into a fullback again unless bmoz wanted to hang onto the number 1 jersey.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
**** me surely there are more athletic wingers hanging around the lower grades than Perret ffs. Perret isn't even safe or consistent anymore so why extend his deal?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
OMG if I have to watch another full season of Perrett coming off his wing than I will go bloody nuts! That's all I took out of that story, all speculation.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't really think Lafai put it to bed with those comments.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont understand where the hype for Hopoate comes from. He appears to be just average. Hes to slow for a winger, hes not a fullback, and is not much better than our centre incumbent.

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
I dont understand where the hype for Hopoate comes from. He appears to be just average. Hes to slow for a winger, hes not a fullback, and is not much better than our centre incumbent.
The hype is from 2011

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not disagreeing but you and a few others want Loko into the team. Where's the hype for Loko from, a few games in 2011/12 and a YouTube video. He can't even string a few games together in Nsw cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.