Canberra to appeal $10,000 penalty over Furner's comments on referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CANBERRA will appeal against the $10,000 breach notice served by the ARL Commission following coach David Furner's criticism of the referees in Sunday's 18-12 NRL loss to Manly.

Furner confirmed yesterday he would fight the fine, saying at no point had he intended to question the integrity of referees Jared Maxwell and Tony de las Heras.

"We're definitely going to appeal it," Furner said. "I certainly thought on the day what my belief was. I expressed that in the press conference, so that's where I'll leave it."

Furner was furious following the loss at Brookvale Oval after his side was on the wrong end of an 8-3 penalty count. "What I look at is the overall penalty count -- 8-3 -- now we're not nearly a three times worse side in discipline than Manly," Furner said after the game. "I don't think anybody expected us to come here and win. Maybe not them (the referees)."

But when asked if he had questioned the integrity of the referees, Furner responded: "No, and I said no to that question when asked."

Furner took his concerns to referees' coach Stuart Raper to express his displeasure with a number of controversial calls from the close loss -- including a missed knock-on by Sea Eagles winger Jorge Taufua late in the game.

"They're vital in the context of the game and at that time, they were momentum changes," Furner said.

On Monday, Raper's fellow referees' boss Bill Harrigan conceded the Raiders had been hard done by on the Taufua knock-on, but not on the penalty count.

"Some people perceive that the penalty count should be even, but penalties are there for a reason. They are there simply to stop teams infringing," Harrigan wrote in his NRL.com column. "If they infringe on the rules, they will be penalised. That is why referees will not look for an even penalty count; their job is to enforce the rules and when they are broken, the referee will blow a penalty."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ents-on-referees/story-fnca0von-1226350228115

Status
Not open for further replies.