Can we match the Dragons physically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Eels offloaded at will on Friday night, whilst we struggled to get any second phase play - that cost us the game imo.

We seem to lack the muscle and technique to win the wrestle.

That is why Eastwood was so important to us - no one got the better of him.

The only player on Friday that dominated his opponents was Idris.

Can we turn it around and match the Dragons and who can step up to lead our pack?

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hannant said he'll play so for us to match the Dragons we need this pack-

08- Ben Hannant
09- Michael Ennis
10- Chris Armit
11- Micky Paea
12- Andrew Ryan
13- David Stagg

14- Michael Hodgson
15- Tim Browne
16- Yileen Gordon
17- Blake Green

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hodgson will start
Hopefully see gordon, halatau, morris and hannant returns

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1. Morris will be in doubt as he's still got double vision.
2. Gordon is out for a few weeks, and won't be back for Dragons.
3. Hannant is only just on crutches and easily a few weeks away.
4. Roberts won't be back until towards end of season.
5. Halatau is only just running on his knee this week so *might* be back.
6. Hickey won't be playing (wrist problem).

Green and Patten should be right.

As for the question. We can't match an average Parra Eels side, so don't get complacent because I think honestly we don't have a snowballs chance in hell of beating the Dragons on Friday night.

Their defence is too tight, they are too disciplined to give away penalties, refs will let them creep within our 10 when we play the ball, they have far too high posession and completion rates.

Not to mention their lack of injuries.

They are a very structured and well coached team and I think it'll get ugly on Friday night, and we'll get a lesson in Rugby League (as much as it pains me to say it).

Our pack is smaller than theirs, so we'll get dominated up the middle, and potentially out wide if they push it that way. I do believe we can go head to head with them and our outside backs though, as long as our defence is tight.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
agree with mr invisible...

besides melbourne... dragons are probably the most balanced team in the nrl...

bennett has fixed up the cracks in the dragons team and there is the reason why where they are in the ladder

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragons have gone up an extra gear from last year and have little to no injuries.Amazing depth that forces the team to play their best.Their defence is like what the dogs of war use to dish out back in the day.Our pedestrian attack would do well to break their line a hand full of times during the 80 minutes.One thing I noticed with Manly yesterday their team stood deep and always had bodies in motion,something the dogs had at the start of last year.Where has it gone to?FFS.
As for the question I think a full strength dogs team can but need to match the dragons discipline,enthusiasm and hunger.

whippet_hound

HOT DOG
Reaction score
Simple answer to thread = No.

Dragons v Dogs will be like a BMW M3 v Datsun 180B

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Not even CK's stats can guide the dogs to a win.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
the way we are playing and the fact that we are down on troops suggests very unlikely, but to say we have no chance in hell well you guys are very much wrong.

You guys had no faith when we took on the roosters and the tigers. What happened in those games? Werent we supposedly next to no chance? Give it a rest guys, we dont need to be told we are up against it. It's a known fact whether in form or not against the dragons its an uphill task. Tell us something we dont know or at least be a bit more positive

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we matched Parra physically but our tactics were nil, if we come up with some attacking finesse and believe in ourselves its on.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we matched Parra physically but our tactics were nil, if we come up with some attacking finesse and believe in ourselves its on.
I think thats the sad truth, early on, and for most of the game we had the possession, and field position and didn't manage to turn it into points. That was the problem at the back end of last season and has been the case most of this season so the real question is, are the players not executing the plan, or are they not being given one?

Right now the Bulldogs are underperforming and that is hard to forgive, in 08 we just didn't have a strong enough team, this year the squad is strong enough to be doing better but they just aren't.......... someone, or a group of people need a kick up the @ss, just don't know if it is Moore or the players (or both)?

RoddyNoddy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Unless we do a Raiders bashing against there forwards, then teams will wonder how to beat the Dragons.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This game will only be won through pure heart.

All our wins this year have been through heart. We had heart last year, we were determined and we were hungry for wins.

We've shown very little of that this year.

I think the Bulldogs will be very hungry for a win against the Dragons. We should be completely fired up, whilst the Dragons will be a lot less hungry considering they have been walking through each of their wins.

It won't be easy, but the Dragons are very beatable. We just need discpline. They have won all their games on discipline.

B

bahadogg

the dragons are not going to be full strength no beau scott his a big loss probably the best defensive centre in the comp
plus smith,prior,saffy out and they have 6 players playing reps on friday night then they have to back up against manly on saturday. i think the bulldogs are playing them at the right time with the week off the dogs will be fresh and ready.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
the dragons are not going to be full strength no beau scott his a big loss probably the best defensive centre in the comp
plus smith,prior,saffy out and they have 6 players playing reps on friday night then they have to back up against manly on saturday. i think the bulldogs are playing them at the right time with the week off the dogs will be fresh and ready.
the right time would be when its SOO time, then all their stars cant play :p

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the way we are playing and the fact that we are down on troops suggests very unlikely, but to say we have no chance in hell well you guys are very much wrong.

You guys had no faith when we took on the roosters and the tigers. What happened in those games? Werent we supposedly next to no chance? Give it a rest guys, we dont need to be told we are up against it. It's a known fact whether in form or not against the dragons its an uphill task. Tell us something we dont know or at least be a bit more positive
Lack of confidence comes from the amount of injuries we also have...

The forwards that offer any kind of second phase play for us are now injured, our regular 5/8 and our International Centre are still also gone for a while..

We lose our most potent attacking options and on top of that our attack is utterly pathetic, i can see why people think we have no chance. Against both the Tigers and the Roosters, we had the troops to do it, we just needed to fire up, against the Dragons? It's looking very unlikely to be the case

B

bahadogg

dogs to win i cant see the dogs losing after 1 week off the dragons will be tired and they have a lot of key injuries as well.
plus idris is angry

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dogs are ruining my tipping this year. I wanna pick St Merge next week as i need the points, i have no confidence we will get even close to St Merge. I fear a flogging in fact. Id be happy to lose a tipping comp point and be wrong. God i hope im wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.