doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely these players getting shown the door gus has some big names in mind

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think player managers don’t steer their players in a direction based on their relationships with clubs then you are very mistaken. They will table every offer to the player with their commentary on which one will make or break the player. Take your pick on what negative he could choose about us. There’s a long list.
This is why Anasta. shit canning us so heavily at the moment influences Munster his only real client.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Interesting you take a refusal to engage as an agreement. You've changed ☹
Lol no, I wasn't really taking it as an agreement. I do genuinely think we need to sort our spine before even beginning to look at more back rowers on huge money. But if you disagree and would rather not engage, 'tis your prerogative.

I haven't changed. I'm just a frustrated fan like everybody else.... coping in my own way. Some get a kick out of my antics, others want to kick me for my antics. But I don't see what's so offensive about them. It's not like I'm Nasheed, going on racist diatribes every post.

Sorry to hear you think I'm lowering myself or whatever, as we used to have a mutual respect thing going..... but I just don't see it that way. I still feel feelings, I still bleed blood, I still vote for the good(ish) guys and I still giggle when someone tickles my belly button.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol no, I wasn't really taking it as an agreement. I do genuinely think we need to sort our spine before even beginning to look at more back rowers on huge money. But if you disagree and would rather not engage, 'tis your prerogative.

I haven't changed. I'm just a frustrated fan like everybody else.... coping in my own way. Some get a kick out of my antics, others want to kick me for my antics. But I don't see what's so offensive about them. It's not like I'm Nasheed, going on racist diatribes every post.

Sorry to hear you think I'm lowering myself or whatever, as we used to have a mutual respect thing going..... but I just don't see it that way. I still feel feelings, I still bleed blood, I still vote for the good(ish) guys and I still giggle when someone tickles my belly button.
Of course we need to sort our spine but tell me, who's the 1 and the 7 available?

Crichton helps address different areas of concern: leadership, experience (126 1st grade games, 9 SoO appearances) and success (premiership winner, 4 finals appearances).

Comparing yourself to to Nasheed is surely your nadir?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Of course we need to sort our spine but tell me, who's the 1 and the 7 available?

Crichton helps address different areas of concern: leadership, experience (126 1st grade games, 9 SoO appearances) and success (premiership winner, 4 finals appearances).

Comparing yourself to to Nasheed is surely your nadir?
Munster can play in the halves or fullback and should be our main priority, and assuming he has any interest in staying, Burton needs to be upgraded. I'm sure one of those two could play halfback. In terms of fullback options, I'm not sure. I'll leave the recruitment decisions to Gus and the board, but it's pretty obvious we need one and it is the club's job to find one. If we throw huge amounts of money at another back rower, it just hurts our chances of landing the right option when he comes along.

Qualities like leadership, experience, winning culture etc can be added in literally any position. I just don't think we need another 700-800k backrower....we need a fullback, we need another half, we need more strike in the outside backs, we need a prop or two. I just don't think 2.3-2.4 million bucks on backrowers is good business, that's pretty much the short and curlies of it. We need to improve our talent identification processes and start signing more players before they peak.

I wouldn't see it as my nadir, no. Others have made the comparison and I'm only pointing out an important distinction. Yes, I troll a bit, but I'm not out to demean or hurt anybody. I'm just having a laugh.... and quite a few other members are laughing with me.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Munster can play in the halves or fullback and should be our main priority, and assuming he has any interest in staying, Burton needs to be upgraded. I'm sure one of those two could play halfback. In terms of fullback options, I'm not sure. I'll leave the recruitment decisions to Gus and the board, but it's pretty obvious we need one and it is the club's job to find one. If we throw huge amounts of money at another back rower, it just hurts our chances of landing the right option when he comes along.

Qualities like leadership, experience, winning culture etc can be added in literally any position. I just don't think we need another 700-800k backrower....we need a fullback, we need another half, we need more strike in the outside backs, we need a prop or two. I just don't think 2.3-2.4 million bucks on backrowers is good business, that's pretty much the short and curlies of it. We need to improve our talent identification processes and start signing more players before they peak.

I wouldn't see it as my nadir, no. Others have made the comparison and I'm only pointing out an important distinction. Yes, I troll a bit, but I'm not out to demean or hurt anybody. I'm just having a laugh.... and quite a few other members are laughing with me.
Ok let's dream....

1. Drinkwater
6. Munster
7. Burton
9. Mahoney

We are half way there!

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok let's dream....

1. Drinkwater
6. Munster
7. Burton
9. Mahoney

We are half way there!
If we are dreaming then we need NRL360 to talk about how the dogs should express interest in Tedesco breaking his contract with the roosters to come to the dogs. Go hard or go home!

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Of course Munster could, but we are no chance of signing him.

I'm sure Gus appreciates that but you're already talking about theoretical signings, so have a go, would should we sign to play Fullback?

FULLBACK
Matt Dufty, Steven Marsters, David Mead

WING
Kane Bradley, Christian Crichton, Herbie Farnworth, Moala Graham-Taufa, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Tui Katoa, Josh Mansour, Corey Oates, Jaxson Paulo, Junior Ratuva, Jorge Taufua

CENTRE
Euan Aitken, Daejarn Asi, Jack Bird, Brendan Elliot, Mawene Hiroti, Delouise Hoeter, Reece Hoffman, William Kei, Esan Marsters, Taylan May, Taane Milne, Tautau Moga, Brayden Musgrove, Solomone Naiduki, Kevin Naiqama, Tom Opacic, Tommy Talau, Isaiah Tass

FIVE-EIGHTH
Matt Frawley, Ben Hampton, Lachlan Lam, Matt Moylan, Hayze Perham, Jaeman Salmon, Simi Sasagi,
Billy Walters

Of course they can be but the reality of free agency '22-'23 means there's limited options in how to get those characteristics into the team. Again, I invite you to go through the available players and make some suggestions: https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2022/by-position-2022/

Once Kikau comes, TPJ moves into the middle, most likely with King and hopefully we re-sign Vaughan on a club friendly contract.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Of course Munster could, but we are no chance of signing him.

I'm sure Gus appreciates that but you're already talking about theoretical signings, so have a go, would should we sign to play Fullback?

FULLBACK
Matt Dufty, Steven Marsters, David Mead

WING
Kane Bradley, Christian Crichton, Herbie Farnworth, Moala Graham-Taufa, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Tui Katoa, Josh Mansour, Corey Oates, Jaxson Paulo, Junior Ratuva, Jorge Taufua

CENTRE
Euan Aitken, Daejarn Asi, Jack Bird, Brendan Elliot, Mawene Hiroti, Delouise Hoeter, Reece Hoffman, William Kei, Esan Marsters, Taylan May, Taane Milne, Tautau Moga, Brayden Musgrove, Solomone Naiduki, Kevin Naiqama, Tom Opacic, Tommy Talau, Isaiah Tass

FIVE-EIGHTH
Matt Frawley, Ben Hampton, Lachlan Lam, Matt Moylan, Hayze Perham, Jaeman Salmon, Simi Sasagi,
Billy Walters

Of course they can be but the reality of free agency '22-'23 means there's limited options in how to get those characteristics into the team. Again, I invite you to go through the available players and make some suggestions: https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2022/by-position-2022/

Once Kikau comes, TPJ moves into the middle, most likely with King and hopefully we re-sign Vaughan on a club friendly contract.
Why are we no chance of signing Munster? We have the second most powerful man in the game running our club, we are likely to have cash to splash and his manager is an ex Bulldog who still has a soft spot for us. Not to mention the fact the Storm in all likelihood can't afford him and the Dolphins are really struggling to attract big names. So why exactly are we no chance?

I already told you I'm not pretending to have all the answers as to who we should recruit. I'm not even playing that game, because I don't believe you should go and spend big money on a player just because it's there to spend. Things can happen quickly in footy and the player market can change quite suddenly. I think signing a player we don't really need on huge money just because there are no obvious solutions in some of the positions we are thinnest on, is bad business. And if we were going to go for another very expensive forward, I'd much rather Haas, tbh.

Crichton's form hasn't even been great this year. He rips up in teams that are ripping up, but struggles when those around him struggle. He's not a player to build a team around and I don't think we should be spending 800k plus on any player we can't build a team around.

We already have two 800k players in our pack (assuming we offload Thompson before next season, if we can't we have three.) I think that's enough. Look at how Penrith rebuilt themselves. They did it by letting good players go, not stockpiling overpriced forwards. Ask yourself why the Roosters are willing to let Crichton go. Or even why the Panthers are willing to let Kikau and Martin go. Because those clubs understand backrowers are easier to replace than those in key positions.

I'd imagine if Crichton were to come here, he'd be looking for three years or more. I wouldn't want that much money tied up on him for so long.

We aren't turning things around overnight, anyway. So we need to be patient, bide our time and keep money up our sleeve so we can pounce and buy the right players when the opportunity arises. And we need to go all in for Munster, because he is a franchise player and it's defeatist to say never when we have an operator like Gus at the club.