Official Cameron Ciraldo Press Conference: Round 9

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
One other major thing that shows how much we have improved from is when we debuted players last year, they were like lambs going to the slaughter. They were coming into a team lacking confidence with no structure and everything was falling apart around them so these young guys had no chance to succeed

This year we have a guy like Bailey Hayward come in as a rookie and plays a defined role in a solid system and he looked every part an NRL player, not a young kid out of his depth

If Hayward debuted for Penrith or Melbourne, commentators would be praising how it is another player from the production line that falls straight into the system and looks like they belong

Well now we have that system that is going to allow all our youngsters to progress to the NRL and hit the ground running

I expect Papalii, O'Neill, Todd, Hipoi and Hayes to be the next batch to breakthrough over the next 12 months and it's exciting times ahead
Well said. This is our key difference to this year, over last year, foundation laid and standards set, guys enjoying their footy and the reason to feel confident that we are heading for much improved results, playing style and success.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see Ciro with a smile on his face, must be happy with how they’re going and the work they’ve done during the bye, poor bugger has had a stress line in his forehead for months it’s disappeared now .. first year he has more of a team that he wanted, not Barrett’s hand me downs ..

think we’re all going to be very impressed with our coach over the next few years ..

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sad part is all the same shit will kick off after the next loss.
Yep. We just need to be patient as this ye.is very green.

We still need to learn how to consistently win together and that's going to take a while.

The main thing is that our processes and structure is becoming a habit, so the performances and ultimately wins will follow suit.

Need to be patient though as we're still a long way from where we need to be.

Really excited about the upcoming journey

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sad part is all the same shit will kick off after the next loss.
You're not wrong there MD, some of the over reaction on TK is bipolar at best. The dumb cahunts calling for his axing one week and expecting a gf appearance the next is hilarious. I expect a call for a public stoning if we lose this week.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbph I am amazed at the huge swing in optimism around here. People talking about premierships and shit lol.
I always note the positives when we lose, but I’m tempering my expectations. I will say though, the players recruited have all pretty much done what was asked of them and proven why they were hired. Plus, the defence is like night and day. Being in the top 6 in defense actually gives me the most confidence. You can build a great team on excellent defense.
I try to keep expectations in check. We've been getting better though. And part of that has been that our depth has been able to maintain the defensive grit. On the other side of things, our attacking options include about 2 backlines worth of players with huge upside in attack. If JAC, Averillo and Kiraz copped injuries last year it was massive, this year it's meh as long as it's not season ending.

I don't think there's a team that isn't a threat. But we've probably had one of the hardest starts. We're in the 8 hopefully with a few easier teams to play we can build to the point that we're one of the scary teams while racking up wins. We have some tough sides to face. If we can win when we're the underdog I'll start adjusting my expectations.

One other major thing that shows how much we have improved from is when we debuted players last year, they were like lambs going to the slaughter. They were coming into a team lacking confidence with no structure and everything was falling apart around them so these young guys had no chance to succeed

This year we have a guy like Bailey Hayward come in as a rookie and plays a defined role in a solid system and he looked every part an NRL player, not a young kid out of his depth

If Hayward debuted for Penrith or Melbourne, commentators would be praising how it is another player from the production line that falls straight into the system and looks like they belong

Well now we have that system that is going to allow all our youngsters to progress to the NRL and hit the ground running

I expect Papalii, O'Neill, Todd, Hipoi and Hayes to be the next batch to breakthrough over the next 12 months and it's exciting times ahead
I didn't expect to be feeling quite as happy with our progress. But at every level we've lifted. From being among the handful of teams entering the thus far restricted women's comp. All our junior teams seem to be building a better calibre of players. And as you've said, we're offering debutantes a better chance to ease into it.

The last few years, we've invested a lot of hope in players getting blooded. I've been guilty of hoping that a young player will be the magic ingredient to making us fire. But I think I'm logical enough to know that is rarely happening in a team with a lot of flaws. Watching someone like Averillo get moved about because he was just exciting enough in attack to get away with being contact shy. Seeing Oloapu join us and hoping he'd instantly offer a focal point for our attack.

I still have high hopes that players on debut give us incredible memories of the day. Hopefully as we get more guys that've played together in the lower grades, we see them feed off each other's games.

Good times ahead

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I gathered, last year was a turning point for all players involved, if we had a injury it was ohh shit we’re done. This year we’ve backed up no matter what injury or ref call. We are looking at a team that is finally loading up a gun and firing sniper shots. Just need a couple forwards to fine tune the diamond and I won’t be surprised we will be top 8 each other

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope no one is waiting for a loss on here lol! Maybe on the tigpies forum but not here
Bro you would seriously hope not although as @maroondog72 pointed out there is a lot of talk when we lose and some of those people vanish when we win. Poor energy.

I’d rather be proven wrong with my opinions 100x over if it meant the dogs were going to win.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro you would seriously hope not although as @maroondog72 pointed out there is a lot of talk when we lose and some of those people vanish when we win. Poor energy.

I’d rather be proven wrong with my opinions 100x over if it meant the dogs were going to win.
I completely get it! I feel like as the rounds go by we are building and are gelling. The loss to souffs really did hurt us as fans because its a game everyone brings up and we should have won. When we were down 10-0 I assumed the flood gates were coming because that's what we did last year, as soon as the opposition rack up points we just give up and let them pile on more, but we as led 12-10 half time I'm like fuck we're actually back in this.

This game is a crucial win but I think it wont be as easy just because they're the tigers, you never know what can happen and especially the refs decisions. Defence is what will win for this one, shut every player down.

Walked past the stadium on my break as I work around here and I cannot wait til Saturday already. I think it's been a long time since we're waiting for our team to actually compete and win games again.