Call phone - from google - free calls!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys - I've had a bunch of calls from Aussie mates today - for FREE to my office/cell phone here.....
I reside in Texas currently.

If you want to experience the free phone calls (US destinations only) - set your gmail account (presuming you have one) to US language, notice the 'call phone' option populate the chat contacts menu, install voice plug-in, and dial away!!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/google-gifts-aussies-with-free-us-calls/story-e6frfro0-1225910897786

Google gifts Aussies with free US calls through Gmail
* By Nicholas Gilbert
Google

Google's new internet call service was initially meant for those in the USA only. Source: AAP

* Google launches web call service
* Accessed through Gmail
* Set language options to "US"

FOR once, it seems Australians aren’t being forgotten in the rollout of a new Google service.

A new addition to Google's Gmail feature that allows users to call phones virtually anywhere in the world from their browser has appeared for some local users, despite the fact that Google had earlier stated it would be US only for now.

The upshot of all this is that Australians now have a way to make calls to US landlines and mobiles for free, all from their Gmail browser window. And according to Google, it's entirely deliberate.

The secret for Australians who want to use the service is the language setting.

Simply set it from English (UK) to English (US), and a ‘Call Phone’ option should appear in your chat window.

Install a plug-in, type in a phone number, and away you go.

News.com.au tested this with several different user accounts and the language switch worked a treat.

According to a Google spokesperson, however, this switch is particular to this specific rollout.

"We are launching this to US users as our first step and will be rolling out additional localised versions in the future. Depending on local laws and regulations, if an account is set to US-English, you might be able to access the feature in some other countries, like Australia, as well, " they said in a statement.

It also seems other English-speaking countries may be able to access the service in the same way, though Google were unable to provide details at time of posting.

The free calls will only last until the end of the year, when users will be charged for calls to the US, as well as every other country.

The plug-in, which compromises elements of Google Talk, and the US-only Google Voice, functions similarly to that other internet phone service Skype, in that it allows users to call landline or mobile phones from their computer, often for very low call rates.

Gmail VOIP users can call landlines in Australia for US$0.02 a minute or mobiles for US$0.14.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice. I have relos over there.

Still won't call them though. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.