Burton joins origin squad

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you not watch Origin last year? Burton was arguably the MOTM in the game that he played. Crichton was terrible all series.
I’m judging by this years form. Crighton has been a defensive beast

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't give a fuck about league let alone origin. Only reason why I watch this corrupt betting product is because of the Bulldogs.

If Bulldogs fold, I'll just wash my hands of this backyard sport and keep supporting my other Canterbury that I love, the Crusaders.
Dam it bro. we have a lot in common when it come to RL . If the Bulldogs were to fold I to would not watch another game either, I'm a NSW person but I have'nt watched a game of SOO for years now, was planing to watch this year but only because TPJ and JAC are playing, pity because QLD are going to put a cricket on NSW this year.
BTW I have a very novel idea on how to deal with this corrupt NRL and the once great game they have managed to turn into shit. would like to run it past someone with your knowledge and involvement.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m judging by this years form. Crighton has been a defensive beast
NRL is not Origin. Some people fail & some people prosper. He was playing better at club level last year than this year & was still terrible in Origin. He's also had 5 games this season where he has missed 2 tackles or more.

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddy would be spewing. Surely he prefers Burton there over Crichton. Burton is a much better option defensively and in attack.
Also, I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Campbell Graham surely would be punching himself right now
Burton defends like a stoner

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we really want Burton back in the centres and disrupting what they are working on with him in the halves?

Problem is that unlike Souths, we probably can't "out" Burto with a fake injury and then play him on weekend.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any other year if you win 4 sudden death finals games you are the fkn premiers.
Any other year, if you finish 9th you don't play finals at all...

That notwithstanding. Harrigan killed our customary comeback (we'd been doing it all finals) by erroneously penalising 'The Flying Rod Silva' for getting off the line too quickly while running away for an intercept try. Worst referee the game has ever had (including Barry Gomersall)

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Any other year, if you finish 9th you don't play finals at all...

That notwithstanding. Harrigan killed our customary comeback (we'd been doing it all finals) by erroneously penalising 'The Flying Rod Silva' for getting off the line too quickly while running away for an intercept try. Worst referee the game has ever had (including Barry Gomersall)
Hey Lynchpin

You’re obviously a long term fan to refer to that particular incident with Silva and I know exactly what you’re talking about.

I couldn’t stand that f**ker Harrigan and my family and I had a running joke where we called him “Gut Feeling”. That’s because around the time he was the supreme being of referees he would justify bullsh*t decisions by saying he had a gut feeling about them.

Of the Silva intercept the c**t Harrigan was quoted as saying he didn’t clearly see where Silva was at the play the ball but he seemed to get to the intercept too quickly so (you guessed it) Harrigan had a gut feeling the Rocket was offside and penalised him.

And you are right it did kill off our customary comeback because it cost us 6 points and I’m pretty sure Brisbane scored not long after from possession and field possession they would never have had if Harrigan refereed fairly.

He had form for this - he absolutely slaughtered us with penalties in the final against Rorters in 2003.

There are many more examples - was pleased when the cheating c**t retired.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hey Lynchpin

You’re obviously a long term fan to refer to that particular incident with Silva and I know exactly what you’re talking about.

I couldn’t stand that f**ker Harrigan and my family and I had a running joke where we called him “Gut Feeling”. That’s because around the time he was the supreme being of referees he would justify bullsh*t decisions by saying he had a gut feeling about them.

Of the Silva intercept the c**t Harrigan was quoted as saying he didn’t clearly see where Silva was at the play the ball but he seemed to get to the intercept too quickly so (you guessed it) Harrigan had a gut feeling the Rocket was offside and penalised him.

And you are right it did kill off our customary comeback because it cost us 6 points and I’m pretty sure Brisbane scored not long after from possession and field possession they would never have had if Harrigan refereed fairly.

He had form for this - he absolutely slaughtered us with penalties in the final against Rorters in 2003.

Yeah, I been around awhile (80's era would be as far back as I remember) :-)

Harrigan, in my view, was the prime guy responsible for the change from "refereeing" the game to "managing" it - and we've been suffering ever since.
Remember his "tip sheets" - basically pre-deciding what was going to happen rather than just playing refereeing what was in front of him.

Some people rate him as "the best" - I have the complete opposite view. Not because of one-off decisions and performances (although plenty of valid criticism on that aspect too) but because of his entire philosophy and approach to the game and how it should be refereed.

He spent half his career trying to raise the profile, status, and importance of the Referee (because he loved the limelight and attention), and the other half whinging about the criticism that came with increased profile, status, and importance. Terrible Referee.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hey Lynchpin

That **** wanted to outshine the players...attention seeking whore.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Yeah, I been around awhile (80's era would be as far back as I remember) :-)

Harrigan, in my view, was the prime guy responsible for the change from "refereeing" the game to "managing" it - and we've been suffering ever since.
Remember his "tip sheets" - basically pre-deciding what was going to happen rather than just playing refereeing what was in front of him.

Some people rate him as "the best" - I have the complete opposite view. Not because of one-off decisions and performances (although plenty of valid criticism on that aspect too) but because of his entire philosophy and approach to the game and how it should be refereed.

He spent half his career trying to raise the profile, status, and importance of the Referee (because he loved the limelight and attention), and the other half whinging about the criticism that came with increased profile, status, and importance. Terrible Referee.
Yep, 80s era for me too (actually started following the Dogs in '79 and loved our miracle run to the Grand Final that year).

You have given a top assessment of Harriigan and his perspective on the game. He wanted to raise the referees profile and sought the limelight (Assassin said the same in his post).

Your comment about the game suffering ever since is so true. I was thinking similar when I wrote that I was happy when the c**t Harrigan retired. Others have just stepped in to fill his shoes and look at the debacle which is supposedly refereeing that the game suffers from right up to this very minute.

Apart from the Dogs winning any given game, my wish is for fair refereeing and a game not marred by some referring controversy or stuff up.

And you know what, those games are few and far between. It seems invariably there is are referring errors, sometimes to the extent that they likely changed the result of the game - not just the scoreline but which team actually won the game.

As for Harrigan, some of the current referees have over inflated egos and think they are more important than the players. Then you have Annesly come out in his Monday review and defend the weekend's multiple stuff ups.

It's a pretty sorry situation and it turns people away from the game.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep, 80s era for me too (actually started following the Dogs in '79 and loved our miracle run to the Grand Final that year).

You have given a top assessment of Harriigan and his perspective on the game. He wanted to raise the referees profile and sought the limelight (Assassin said the same in his post).

Your comment about the game suffering ever since is so true. I was thinking similar when I wrote that I was happy when the c**t Harrigan retired. Others have just stepped in to fill his shoes and look at the debacle which is supposedly refereeing that the game suffers from right up to this very minute.

Apart from the Dogs winning any given game, my wish is for fair refereeing and a game not marred by some referring controversy or stuff up.

And you know what, those games are few and far between. It seems invariably there is are referring errors, sometimes to the extent that they likely changed the result of the game - not just the scoreline but which team actually won the game.

As for Harrigan, some of the current referees have over inflated egos and think they are more important than the players. Then you have Annesly come out in his Monday review and defend the weekend's multiple stuff ups.

It's a pretty sorry situation and it turns people away from the game.
100% Agreed.
Even worse. The NRL banning coaches from being critical of referees (on the premise that it brings the game into disrepute).
Again, I think this is completely the opposite.
The disrepute is brought about by the NRL itself and its making the referees a protected species.
The fans want their coach to call out things in the game.
And if they do it too often, do it unfairly, or use it too much as an excuse for poor performances, then the fans will be the ones to call out the coach (a self-regulating system).

I understand you have to protect them from abuse (you have to make sure there are people coming through to do a difficult job), but asking everyone in the game (fans/coaches/players) to disbelieve their lying eyes and not be able to call out the utter crap being regularly dished up does not help engender respect for them; and it doesn't challenge them to improve over time either.

Subjecting them to scrutiny and criticism, letting them own their blunders, and improving while doing a difficult job (just like the players and coaches have to) would improve how they are perceived.

Like you, I just want to see an even hand. I want consistency and fairness. If the ref is doing a skinny or extend 10, make it for both teams. Fast or slow ruck, make it so for both teams.
I will accept the occasional howler - they're human.
I won't accept consistent one-way traffic. Some teams being "managed" differently. Continuous lop-sided penalty counts. Constant six-agains in one direction. Late square-ups in an attempt to even up their "stats". Some teams being pinged for the very things being ignored in the other direction one minute before and one minute after.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Apparently Fittler asked Gould to expedite Burton's arrival in Adelaide, as Cleary has an infected tooth and Burton will take Hynes' spot on the bench IF Cleary can't play and Hynes is moved to starting 7. Could be some Origin bullshit head games but you'd wanna hope not, if Fittler is harassing Gus to rush Burton over.