Burton is overrated.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Upon reflection overnight I still stand by the opinion that he is overrated.
However I think Panther and their systems that are infiltrating our club are partly to blame.
For example if you put Burton in Sharks side @ 6 you would see a completely different player.

Burton needs to man up and take control and go looking for the ball and start running it...
He will get a perfect look at how a half should take on the line when he faces Jarome Hughes this week anyways. Hopefully he learns something out of the occasion.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Burton is basically a Wighton with more skill and way less aggression.

His best games last season was Parra and Titans
I personally think Wighton has him covered in all areas, except the spiral bomb. I really want Wighton to not to activate his player option at Canberra and go to market, he's gone stale in Canberra, needs a fresh start.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton was crap yesterday but he's not the problem. Could never understand why the Dogs went on a huge spending spree but never bought a decent half back. Flannagan is just not the answer and never has been. He's been playing NRL for a few years now and has never looked anything above reggies standard...even in the Roosters system.

Lachlan Ilias has had 1 year and is already twice the player.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Upon reflection overnight I still stand by the opinion that he is overrated.
However I think Panther and their systems that are infiltrating our club are partly to blame.
For example if you put Burton in Sharks side @ 6 you would see a completely different player.

Burton needs to man up and take control and go looking for the ball and start running it...
He will get a perfect look at how a half should take on the line when he faces Jarome Hughes this week anyways. Hopefully he learns something out of the occasion.
Upon reflection I still think you are overreacting.

Chillaxxxx brahh, its round 1 on a bullshit day at brookie..

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ponga is way better .... i would swap them tomorrow in a heartbeat.
Both are easily the most overrated players in the comp. I can’t even decide between those two tbh

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton needs a real coach who isn’t going to coddle him because he is a Panther

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How about putting Buton in the centers (where he belongs) and put the Grub at five-eighth...
He was not a good centre but can play centre in great teams. He just fell over the line with most of his tries at Penrith. He is a 6 and always will be. Whether in FG or NSW cup. Probably never a rep 6., which will be a fckn disaster since we are building around him

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton isn’t overrated but he needs to pull his head in asap for sure

I had a realisation this morning while watching all the games thus far. We genuinely have the worst halfback in the comp.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No disrespect to you but when you have flamingo next to you, of course it's going to buff your stats. Also that's when JAC actually wanted to score, recently he has let in more tries than he has scored, trying to go for an intercept every time the ball comes near him.
You can't have it both ways, saying the stats are inflated because he's playing next to Flanagan on one hand, but saying he should be setting up more tries as a marquee half.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You can't have it both ways, saying the stats are inflated because he's playing next to Flanagan on one hand, but saying he should be setting up more tries as a marquee half.
Well I'd move him to the centres and leave him there and try again when we have a full spine and not the jellyfish set-up we have now.

Forgive but I'm not following you... they were inflated, and a marquee should be setting up more tries, especially with "better" players around him this year.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Burton isn’t overrated but he needs to pull his head in asap for sure

I had a realisation this morning while watching all the games thus far. We genuinely have the worst halfback in the comp.
Overrated as a half, very good centre.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Not overrated. Definitely not. He had a shit game but he can’t be shackled in attack..needs to be given free pass to play what’s in front of him. He showed last year what he can do once potter just said go out and play. If our forwards do their job hel be much better

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He can be a bit inconsistent and it stands out in our team of plodders when he’s off. But overrated is a bit much he practically carried us in our wins last year and in some of our losses he was our best player.
Obviously some on here have short memories.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton will shine when he isn’t partnered with a complete myth. If O’Sullivan was our 7 Burton would looks completely different.

under_Dogz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Also, why is he parked on the left, elite 5/8ths roam and drift out to the side where needed or opportunities show themselves.

Look Im not one of those fans who have never played the game, I've either played, coached or trained since I was 5. I'm not saying get rid of him, I'm saying move him to centres where he belongs. He can't learn the game with a dud HB and FB and a soft AF pack. Not to mention his combo with JAC seems to be done as JAC has become rubbish letting in more tries than scoring.

Playing him there weakens an already weak spine/team.
JAC was and still is a superstar winger. Did you not watch the World Cup? Only a matter of time before our left side clicks and becomes a consistent threat. My only concern is that it’s hard even for best of backlines to find any rhythm when your forwards are getting beaten from pillar to post. It’s very concerning that Pele was the only forward to pose a threat in attack and he’s only good for 10 mins due to poor fitness. Could be a long season.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
JAC was and still is a superstar winger. Did you not watch the World Cup? Only a matter of time before our left side clicks and becomes a consistent threat. My only concern is that it’s hard even for best of backlines to find any rhythm when your forwards are getting beaten from pillar to post. It’s very concerning that Pele was the only forward to pose a threat in attack and he’s only good for 10 mins due to poor fitness. Could be a long season.
All due respect what happened in the WC means FA now. Take the last 10 Bulldogs games and see how many he has scored and how many he has let in. But we need him for some sort of moral.

But agree 100% about our marshmallow backwards.