Burton buzz: Dogs’ premiership backline takes shape

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone with access ease post this Daily Telegraph story.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Aaron Schoupp has given a revealing insight into Matt Burton’s freskish talent as buzz continues to grow around the Bulldogs.

Fatima KdouhFatima Kdouh
Follow

@FatimaKdouh_

2 min read
February 14, 2022 - 3:55PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

0 comments

00:57
Napa SENT OFF for horrific shot on debut

Super League: Dylan Napa was making his debut for the Catalans Dragons in the Super League competition, and drew the ire of the referee in the 72nd minute for this hit.

Bulldogs
Don't miss out on the headlines from Bulldogs. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Aaron Schoupp watched Matt Burton light up the grand final but the Canterbury youngster didn’t realise what a ‘freak’ the playmaker is until he trained with his new Bulldogs teammate.
Playing out of position at centre, Burton was close to best on ground in Penrith’s title victory against South Sydney last season.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now >
“He killed it at centre, but he’s going to be our five-eighth for sure,” Schoupp told The Daily Telegraph.
“He’s an absolute freak with some of the things he has been doing at training … the things he can do has blown us all away.
“His skill level with the ball is crazy and he’s also so strong. He’s going to be really good for us this year.”
Matt Burton has the Bulldogs buzzing. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty

Matt Burton has the Bulldogs buzzing. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty
While Burton has the No. 6 jumper well and truly sown up, former Schoolboys star Schoupp, who played 13 games in his debut season last year, will be using Canterbury’s trial matches against Newcastle and then Cronulla to cement a starting spot at right centre.
“I had off season surgery on my shoulder, the rotator cuff needed a full repair. It was my first major surgery,” Schoupp revealed.
“But I’m back now and I’m back into full contact and I should be right to play in the trials.
FROM OUR PARTNERS

At last, a streaming service for news Stream 25+ news channels with Flash
“I’m looking towards [the trials] so I can lock down that right centre spot.”
Coach Trent Barrett also has Braidon Burns, Corey Allan, Paul Alamoti and Jake Averillo as options at centre.
But Averillo is expected to partner Burton in the halves, while teen prodigy Alamoti will be eased into first grade.

Bulldogs fans got a glimpse of their new left edge combination of former Panthers centre Brent Naden and Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr in Friday night’s All Stars match at Commbank Stadium.
Having been part of last year’s wooden spoon outfit, Schoupp is relishing the opportunity to play in a backline now filled with premiership talent and experience.
“Brent has got a bit of class about himself, he’s silky with the ball in his hands,” Schoupp said.
“Obviously Penrith they won the comp last year, so coming from that system, he’s been trying to help a few of us younger boys with what he learned there … he’s enthusiasm has been rubbing off on everyone.
“But so has Fox’s. The way he tips everyone up, especially for me as well, playing in the outside backs … he came from Melbourne where they have been top of the table for ages and won two comps.
Aaron Schoupp is gunning for a starting spot. Photo: Bulldogs

Aaron Schoupp is gunning for a starting spot. Photo: Bulldogs
“I think because of that he brings a lot of confidence to the young boys.”
Schoupp’s recent re-signing makes him only one of three players, alongside side Josh Addo Carr and Tevita Pangai Jnr, locked in until the end of season 2024.
Burton has a player option in his favour for 2024.
The 20-year old told The Daily Telegraph he stayed at Canterbury to be part of the club’s rebuild on the field.
“Day one of pre-season, you walked in it was like walking into a whole new team,” Schoupp revealed.
“But it’s been so good. It has been refreshing for the boys, everyone has a bit of a buzz at the moment when we walk into training because everyone has bought into what we are trying to build.
“We have that mentality that there is going to be some good things coming out of Belmore soon.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wow, Schoupp at fullback??

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Marley could be high don't worry about him lol
Hope your bff does a good job at 7 so our potential 10 year gun half can play with a little less pressure on him!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the real question is Fatima Kdouh single? Her and Darcie are my favourite media personalities bu a mile

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clearly she hasn't been informed of Kikau and Mahoney being at the Dogs in 2024

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
She also said "Friday night's All Star Game"... maybe im being harsh but it's the little details that count
It's not harsh. It's not secret information, the publication she works for covered these things extensively recently

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not harsh. It's not secret information, the publication she works for covered these things extensively recently
I don't think she was saying that she thought only those had contracts forgetting about Kiks and Reed ... But of the players playing this year.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think she was saying that she thought only those had contracts forgetting about Kiks and Reed ... But of the players playing this year.
Perhaps, I was only going off what was there. As kap123 pointed out she also had the day of the only game this year wrong too. It's obviously an attention to detail thing. It's not just her plenty of journos do it