Opinion Burton and our current form

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The whole team was utterly crap yesterday. We actually need two halves that can play and maybe there will be less chance for the defence to pressure our primary half.

I understand that people need a scape goat. But there's just big problems with more than just our halves. Our forwards aren't cutting it, so the halves won't be spreading the ball with much success. Our backs therefore won't get ball with momentum on their side.

Massive shitfight right now. Not sure what the solution is. But throwing Burton into oncoming traffic isn't the solution.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton like Jack Wighton is a player who you do not overload with a game plan or tactics.

Hence why he played his best footy under Potter. Ciraldo is a system merchant, trying to copy and paste the Panther system again like Tbaz.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One answer that would have helped that question was the half that steered to Knights around the park on the weekend. He was available, Not a superstar but not commanding big dollars either. We had no interest because we have players coming though. Trindall is sitting in reggies and is this years chance at a solution. Yet again tumble weed from our club.

As a club our talent identification is so so bad. Both on internal pathways players and external signings. We seem clueless to identify strengths in areas and players that we are lacking.

The head in the sand approach is killing me.
Have to agree, our recruitment has been average, Preston was the one diamond in the rough, Kiks should have been a great signing but he’s been injured and Mahoney is trying way too hard getting no help…

Those 3 blokes are legit… TPJ was never a good fit for us and Burton is 1 good game every 4 or 5 games…. All the other blokes (with the exception of the first 5-6 rounds from Kiraz and 1 or 2 games from Avo) have not performed as needed.

The better teams target 2 or 3 quality players, whereas we have typically targeted volume hoping to find a good egg… Crichton is a good start but only if we signed him as a centre, he’s unproven as a fb.

There’s no way this will happen, but if we could secure Shaun Johnson and Tino with a capable middle (Grieg, Blacker or Sele) positively changes our rebuild…. All the other stuff Gus is doing in the juniors should complement the team in future years

Doggystyle99

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
L
I like Burto so I feel rude saying this but, whilst he has talent in spades, I don't think he has the brains to be a 7. I still believe we could find a lot of success with him at 6 but there has to be an organiser beside him and there needs to be someone to mentor him, otherwise turning that natural talent in to consistently great footy will be a long and fraught road.
Love burto too.. I’m sure he’d be thinking the same thing - get me a partner that somewhat resembles a first grade halfback.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another year and another bucket of frustration and disappointment.

What I find interesting is how our systems have not produced any acceptable standard of a halves pairing that can game manage and direct the team around with a decent kicking game and the capacity to get repeat sets. We have not achieved this for several years - that is a long time not to achieve a highly critical goal!

The way we have played in the last month is quite telling. Burton is one of the major reasons we are failing because he just doesn't game manage at all. He plays like a passenger who is ready for the bomb and to offer his step and go or a pass for the team to do their thing. He does not inject himself into the game no matter how many times CC has insisted he needs to do that, even moving him to 7 to try to force the issue. Strangely, he proves he can with his phases of producing spectacular clutch plays that are epic and breathtaking. This is what keeps the coaching staff and fans hoping he is the answer. It appears instivitive clutch plays are the only way for him to turn on his skills.

Burton is ambitious to want to be a half and want the money for it. He also has potential and talent to burn, but not the determination and the ticker to get on with it for 80 mins. I think we have flogged this horse to death - he just needs to be put into the centres until he is older and more mature and he may be ready in a couple of years. For now, he is a liability as a half.

Everything was built around Burton and he has not been able to kick for position and produce repeat sets. His bombs are great, but a hammer in the toolbox can only take care of the nails. He throws shocking passes and kills the momentum when he is overthinking and overplaying his hand. He just doesn't have the mental ability and composure for the position yet and we are trying to force him because we believe he can do it, because we all witnessed those several clutch plays!

My point is, so what if he can do it? He is just not ready and we need halves that can control the team. Period! He can evolve there later when he is actually improving. Right now, he is going backwards and this could hurt his confidence in the long run.

And because he can't do the job now - all our debutants (about 7-9 this year?) and the rest of our young players have had extra pressure defending and extra pressure trying to produce go forward without any momentum being created by the halves. Flanagan and Burton have been passengers reluctant to put their hands on the steering wheel and keep it there. Rajab needed a better and slower introduction into FG and was found out defensively by a white hot Ponga. The rest of the halves we tested were relying on Burton.

We need a half to take the game by the scruff of the neck and we are yet to find one that is willing to do it and execute. Until we establish one or buy one, our young pack and players are going to struggle having to work extra hard to compete with low experience and low confidence.

All these shocking high scores against us have created psychological damage that we need to now also manage. We have players overthinking, not commiting and marking their men, to cut down their thinking time. They are staying in no man's land when defending and throwing out their arms instead. They have turned into turnstiles. Even Carr and Burton don't have the confidence to communicate and mark their men? WTF?

We are in deep trouble and its because the Burton experiment has failed. Fixing it does not appear easy, but when you hit rock bottom and got nothing to lose, anything can happen. Even Burton may surprise me.

Cheers to be surprised by anyone, and particularly a no. 7, anytime soon, please.
You are spot on.
Great potential but that’s all he is atm, no consistency and flashes of brilliance only. He’s nowhere near ready to lead a successful NRL side and is making a lot of mistakes alongside a team of Cup players.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we sign Bud Sullivan then the club has finally realised that Burton is a centre and we’ve then fucked up our cap again haha

1. Papali’i
2. Kiraz
3. Crichton
4. Burton
5. JAC
6. Oloapu
7. Sullivan
2nd most and 3rd most expensive players at the club are playing way above their position market value in this case lolololol

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we sign Bud Sullivan then the club has finally realised that Burton is a centre and we’ve then fucked up our cap again haha

1. Papali’i
2. Kiraz
3. Crichton
4. Burton
5. JAC
6. Oloapu
7. Sullivan
2nd most and 3rd most expensive players at the club are playing way above their position market value in this case lolololol
Looks like we’ve taken a chance on Sexton… I can’t see Burto moving to centre, he’ll remain at 5/8 - I’m thinking Sexton supports Burton in the halves and he either warms the seat until KO fully develops or he turns out to be the “solution” and KO turns into a ball playing lock.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s a young half plying his trade behind a sorry excuse for a forward pack under his 3rd coach …. There’s no continuity at all… he’s been tasked to run the team as the main playmaker which he’s not …someone earlier said he should be a Wighton given little instructions and just let him play eyes up

Think about how Ciro has moved him from 6 to 7
Flanno gone from 7 to 6 to Reggie’s 9
Reed has spent time at 7
Perham been hooked to Centre
Oloapu then Rajab
Avo moved mid game to 1 and yesterday mid game to 6

It’s just musical chairs

Now Sexton next man up to have his own bashing thread [emoji23]

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who would’ve thought a 23 year old at halfback behind our Teletubbies, rockstar fullback and pangirl with his astounding 37 metres would play shit? We don’t have a halfback at the club playing him at halfback isn’t teaching him shit just making him less of a weapon the side by cutting out his running game and attacking play because his to worried about trying to be a halfback when his not. Probably be our starting halfback next year with Ciraldope steering the titanic.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton isn't a game manager and has never been. We are trying to manufacture him into that role and it is to our detriment. Let's remember there have been plenty of great numbers 6 who weren't game mangers. Laurie Daley wasn't , Brett Kenny wasn't, Freddy wasn't. Even Lockyer to some extent wasn't a game manger. These were brilliant off the cuff players. We need to stop expecting Burton to be something he is not and let him be what he is good at.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t care what anyone says we were almost 5 out of 7 to start the year and a few games after that we have absolutely dropped our bundle.
Something is rotten and it stinks
The intensity isn’t there and what ever it is it’s filtering through to reserve grade both grades have sucked for weeks .
I’m sure you will be able to start a thread about it