Opinion Burton a flop?

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ha ha, lay off the glass barbie mate.

I've been watching Burton since before most of you knew who he was and I'm a huge fan. I actually hoped he got the 6 ahead of Luai at the beginning of 2020. I'm also happy to admit I was wrong and Penrith made the right call.

His games in the halves in 2020 were the draw against the Knights where he played left and Luai on the right. Both were pretty shit. Knights lost their 7 a few minutes in and were down to a 1 man bench by half time. To not run away with that game was on the halves. Next game they switched sides and Luai had a blinder. iirc Burto was fine, but nothing either way comes to mind.

In 21 he did play in the halves in the win over the Storm. We won that game off defence, Kikau's try saver on Olam at the death getting us over the line. I'll be honest and say I'd forgotten Burto played in that game until you mentioned it. Next up was the loss against the Tigers. Loss and Tigers pretty much sums that up. Against the Sharks he was good in the 2nd half. 1st half was terrible.

The back end of the year when Cleary was out he was pretty good. We got pumped by the Storm in that period, but I wouldn't hold that against him. The rest were close wins with the biggest margin being 14 against the Warriors.

To be fair I would have liked to see how he went for a few games with Nathan at 7 and him in the 6. I'd say it would have been pretty successful.

He may well end up better than Luai, but to suggest he is ahead right now is fantasy.
Great input .

There’s too many precious over sensitive people on here .

The kid has talent but he’s been bog average with the weight of expectation and fanfare he came with .

One of the criticisms of him when playing in the halves was his involvement or lack of.

I think he’ll turn out to be a sold nrl half but could be an exceptional centre as he’s shown .

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the excitement about the new recruits was a bit premature.
TPJ, JAC, Dufty and Burton are good signings. The rest are barely reserve grade players.
They are only marginally better than the ones who were punted.
We cant improve much, as those reserve grade acquisitions are not capable, or ready for NRL.
Hopefully the end of season clean out will result in more quality players recruited.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I’m hating and disappointed with the team and have aired my frustrations and let it be known..
Burton has the look of a super start in the making. He’s only green still really,
and the fact Kyle has already taken pressure off him, just shows with a decent spine / an coach / and system in place like the storm have.things would actually be a lot different.!!!
Burt’s has to stay. I’m starting to warm to the kid .!!

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great input .

There’s too many precious over sensitive people on here .

The kid has talent but he’s been bog average with the weight of expectation and fanfare he came with .

One of the criticisms of him when playing in the halves was his involvement or lack of.

I think he’ll turn out to be a sold nrl half but could be an exceptional centre as he’s shown .
It would be a waste for you guys to play him in the centres. He won't make a difference there. Last year playing 3 at Penrith was a dream assignment, look at Tago, he strolled in and is killing it in the same spot. He can still be a gun 6, it just wont happen overnight or in the structure you gays have right now. He should improve slowly with Flange at 7 and hopefully a bit more again next year with a decent hooker.

If Tbaz is going to stick with the current game plan then you move Jackson to prop, Flanno 7, Avarillo 6 and Burton to 13. I dont think thats the way to go personally and Barrett needs to rethink what he is trying to achieve, but it would be better than what's going on now with how he is getting you to play. Barrett seems determined to make you the wish version of Penrith and Burto has the ability to emulate Yeo a lot more than poor old Josh Jackson. I think 13 will be his spot in 5 or 6 years anyway.

Your biggest worry is that he is a free agent come November. It's probably lucky that Kevvie's boy has the 6 at the Broncos. Burton next to Reynolds would be massive to Burto's professional development. Assuming Foran pulls the pin at the end of the year Manly would be an attractive proposition as well.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burtons not a flop, him and Flanno are a young halve pairings and need time to gel.

Comparing them to say Cleary and Luai is unfair in many ways as Cleary and Luai played through the grades together.

Right now you have 2 rookie halves at the Dogs, who between them have not played a single full season in their selected positions.

Give them time and let the players build a future around them.

Still not sold on JMK or Jackson though.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the excitement about the new recruits was a bit premature.
TPJ, JAC, Dufty and Burton are good signings. The rest are barely reserve grade players.
They are only marginally better than the ones who were punted.
We cant improve much, as those reserve grade acquisitions are not capable, or ready for NRL.
Hopefully the end of season clean out will result in more quality players recruited.
We havent improved at all.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This forum has hit a new low. This time last year if you were told we are signing 8 new players everyone jizzed there pants .
6 rounds in and we get people saying,
Burton = shit player, he is a centre , can’t play blah blah blah.
Ado-Carr = to slow, to old, overrated
Duffty = shit defence, can’t catch, worst signing
TPJ= Waist off money, gives away penalties blah blah blah.
Even if we sign the whole Penrith team, people on here will criticise every player.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This forum has hit a new low. This time last year if you were told we are signing 8 new players everyone jizzed there pants .
Even if we sign the whole Penrith team, people on here will criticise every player.
This forum is fucking fried

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Promised so much

Delivered crap

Everyone else cops flak. He’s been absolute shit and if there was a pivotal moment in the game it was his drop ball that turned momentum to bunnies .

Your halves need to need lead . His options have been absolute crap for a marquee signing

If that was Averillo or Flanagan with his errors they’d be crucified
It was Jackson forward pass trying to ball play the dud to TPJ when we were on top that changed the momentum of the game you flop if anyway thinks that Burton is the issue then you are all flops as well

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People can't accept that Sutton had a major role yesterday and two of our losses were decided by poor bunker and official calls. They are too busy hating the team because hey, with supporters Iike ours who needs enemies. [emoji23][emoji23]

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's the problem, it's all on his shoulders, if he can't do something, nobody else does.

The opposition aren't stupid, they know our spine is fkn useless so they control our only weapon.
Agreed,
Burton seems to be showing his displeasure with a look that says wtf did I come here for.
Just watching other games this weekend, even the lower teams can produce backline plays at speed with decoys and slick passing.
Bulldogs comparatively are in slow motion with JMK taking a step then passing to forwards to run straight in to the opposition or to Jacko who the continues the slow motion play leaving Burton a sitting duck for a couple of defenders zeroing in on him.
We can't get the ball 2 passes out without being swamped.

People rejoicing about 16 points. Have a good look at the tries. 2 flukes.
Last week another fluke.

Coaching or not?
These players are better footballers than that.
They are just dropping their heads and saying here we go again.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Agreed,
Burton seems to be showing his displeasure with a look that says wtf did I come here for.
Just watching other games this weekend, even the lower teams can produce backline plays at speed with decoys and slick passing.
Bulldogs comparatively are in slow motion with JMK taking a step then passing to forwards to run straight in to the opposition or to Jacko who the continues the slow motion play leaving Burton a sitting duck for a couple of defenders zeroing in on him.
We can't get the ball 2 passes out without being swamped.

People rejoicing about 16 points. Have a good look at the tries. 2 flukes.
Last week another fluke.

Coaching or not?
These players are better footballers than that.
They are just dropping their heads and saying here we go again.
Its a team sport, the coach, hooker and captain are the 3 major problems which all compound on Burtons shoulders.

Sure he is a shadow of himself but he isn't a flop, just forced to play in a team that has more flops than first graders, coached and captained by flops.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Burton needs to go back to centre. I think his struggling being out of position. Reckon you'll get better value from him.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And we won't have him very long if we try to put him out in the centres.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Please whoever the admin is delete this thread. The low rugby league IQ and intelligence in general in the Kennel Forum is below Souffs.
Your the perpetrator you hypocrite. Serious knob you are fmd.