Bullfrog stories and what made him so great

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I have this argument with my brother in law all the time - The Base of the Storm was built on & around Bulldog people, Bulldog values & the model based around the Bulldog ways.
So was the broncos.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall our Rothmans medal winner (something equivalent to the Daily M) Ewan McGrady who had a season likened to Ben Barba’s in modern times was going to be a no show at the event and when Bullfrog caught wind of it, sent his tailor down to Ewan’s house pronto, got suited up and found himself collecting his medal last minute. The bloke had everything covered.
Pretty sure they found him at auburn tab, then took him home to changed.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I have this argument with my brother in law all the time - The Base of the Storm was built on & around Bulldog people, Bulldog values & the model based around the Bulldog ways.
...and the timing of Bullfrog's death wasn't something anyone could've picked. It was in the week of the Bulldogs vs Storm clash. So Steve Folkes and Chris Anderson were going head-to-head - brother-in-laws and both son-in-laws of the Great Bullfrog. Now the Storm were a dominant team that year (defending Premiers) whereas we were having a very ordinary year. We didn't stand a chance - away from home in Melbourne as well.

Well... pretty much everyone who tipped the Storm that week were humbled.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I'm intrigued... how?
wayne and ribot took tours of the bulldogs and as the bulldogs were seen at the time as having a system where they always were successful under bullfrog. They want to replicate that at the broncos. And you can see they took one mantra ti heart. You can never have enough forwards.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wayne and ribot took tours of the bulldogs and as the bulldogs were seen at the time as having a system where they always were successful under bullfrog. They want to replicate that at the broncos. And you can see they took one mantra ti heart. You can never have enough forwards.
And good facilities....

Holbi49

Waterboy
Reaction score
Early 1975, was in the club with a few mates, I'd just got engaged. I jokingly said that I'd like to get married under the Belmore goal posts at half time during a game. Peter Moore (next table) overheard me and told me he would arrange it all for the Tigers game later that season and the club would pay for it.
I was very keen but the Mrs told me no, had to be down the aisle. Pity, the Dogs beat the Tigers by a point that day, great game.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this story has been shared already. Back in the 90s they had a game on mother's day.
Peter Moore was getting interviewed on the Sunday sports show promoting an event that all mothers are able to attend the game for free.
He finishes the interview to remind everyone that all mothers or anyone that looks like a mother to come on down to watch the game. The innuendo of his last mother reference had everyone back in the studio in tears with the straightest faces they could manage.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this story has been shared already. Back in the 90s they had a game on mother's day.
Peter Moore was getting interviewed on the Sunday sports show promoting an event that all mothers are able to attend the game for free.
He finishes the interview to remind everyone that all mothers or anyone that looks like a mother to come on down to watch the game. The innuendo of his last mother reference had everyone back in the studio in tears with the straightest faces they could manage.
Why were they in tears?

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why were they in tears?
Those days calling someone a mother was short for motherf@#*er.
I'm sure Bullfrog knew when he snuck that word in and disguised it well. He was smooth.:blush:

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard the stories how Brisbane heirachy toured and talked with Moore about the bulldogs setup. Also the storm took some broncos and bulldogs culture and setup when they started.
I really think with some of the changes we have made to the club over the last few years we will be back as a ‘NRL superpower’ again as we should be

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bullfrog never wanted business to be personal.

At the height of the Super League war, in 1995 he declined to attend the Rothmans Medal dinner for the first time in 25 years so emotions wouldn’t boil over, especially as most attendees would be drinking.

When he took the Bulldogs to Super League, his decades long friendship with Arko was strained - but they ultimately reconciled and Arko gave the eulogy at Bullfrog’s funeral, showing the level of respect they had for each other couldn’t be undone by business.