Bulldogs to decide if former Kangaroo Brett Morris will contest Four Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
CANTERBURY flyer Brett Morris has revealed Bulldogs officials will determine if he is available for an Australian recall, saying: “That decision will be totally up to my club”.

Now eight weeks into his return from a serious knee injury, Morris is firming for a return to the Kangaroos side that will contest the Four Nations in November.

Apart from scoring a double in last Thursday night’s Golden Point win over Manly, the winger has also now tallied a staggering nine tries in only seven games since returning from his nine-month lay-off.

Yet after ruling himself out of Origin contention earlier this year, the 29-year-old said any international comeback would also be up to the discretion of Dogs coach Des Hasler.

Asked about Four Nations selection, Morris said: “It’s something we will have to assess at the end of the year.

“With the way my knee has been — and I had a hamstring injury last year — it’s just about doing what is best for the club.

“So wether they want me to go in for a surgery or whatever, that will be totally up to them.

“There’s a lot of footy to be played between now and then, a lot can happen, and to be honest I’m not even thinking about representative footy at the moment.

“I just want to get out there each week and do my best for the club. I missed a lot of footy at the start of the year so for me, it’s just about trying to play consistent footy week in week out.

“I haven’t thought about anything else.”

And as for how the knee is feeling?

“Every week it’s getting better and I’m getting more confidence in it,’’ he said.

“The (Canterbury staff) really monitor my workload at training, too. This past week we had a short turnaround so I didn’t actually get onto the field until our Captain’s Run.

“Obviously the main thing is getting it right for games and every game it definitely feels better.

“I’m getting more confident, the strength and agility is coming and I get sharper.

“Every week it gets better which is a positive.”

Certainly Morris is firming for a Test recall.

Despite having been available for only two months, the former St George Illawarra flanker is quickly pushing to reclaim the ‘top winger’ crown from fellow contenders Josh Mansour, Valentine Holmes, Jordan Rapana, even Melbourne flyer Suliasi Vunivalu.

Earlier this year, Parramatta’s Semi Radradra earned his Australian debut on one flank, with Rooster Blake Ferguson on the other.

But with Radradra yet to return from injury and the Roosters struggling, Morris again finds himself right in the mix.

Apart from bagging a double against the Sea Eagles, Morris also earned himself arguably the most bizarre touchdown of the year — taking a ball that ricocheted off the head of twin brother, Josh

“We’ve had a laugh about that one, yeah,’’ Morris conceded. “Josh is trying to claim it as a try assist.

“But it’s just play to the whistle I guess. We’ve seen tries scored off the melon before so I just followed through. Put that one down to luck.”

Good decision Brett.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This Guy has been with us for 2 seasons, seems to have had some questionable medical advice from our staff originally & is putting the club first - Love Your Attitude & Commitment B Moz, we need more players like you

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he skips out tbh. Four Nations means he won't have a full preseason again.
I feel like BMoz in the team is kind of like having a Ferrari but hardly ever getting to drive it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
1. Darius
2. Gagai
3. Chambers
4. Inglis
5. Oates (after Semi drama)
Thats will be the line up with uncle Mal at the reigns surely....
In all seriousness though he would be smart to give up rep footy altogether imo. Finish strong at club level, same goes for Josh.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Morris boys have been on the kennel for sure.

Last few years they have out origin / kangaroo jerseys way above anything else... Rushing back when injured for a rep game only to injure themselves more.

Good to see the change of heart but let's see how this plays out.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This Guy has been with us for 2 seasons, seems to have had some questionable medical advice from our staff originally & is putting the club first - Love Your Attitude & Commitment B Moz, we need more players like you
Really does seem to put the club before his personal gain.

Even playing fullback last year. Jorris had the chance to help out the team post Barba but flat out refused because it would affect his chance of being selected for NSW. Where with borris he said he is happy to play wherever the team needs him. We definitely got the wrong Morris 7 years ago :p

Even Brett has scored more tries then josh in 7 games this year :p if ever you thought josh would our score him it would be this year :p

I think with josh he feels the pressure that he is the lesser brother. Probably why he can't seem to pass it when he has an open player on the outside. Looks more selfish/wanting to get the try himself.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
F the Four Nations. No one even cares about it.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brett Morris will be available for the Kangaroos in the end of season Four Nations

COACH Des Hasler has indicated Canterbury will make Brett Morris available for Australian’s end of season Four Nations campaign.

After missing much of the NRL season with a knee injury, the Bulldogs ace said he would leave a decision on his Kangaroos availability up to his club.

However Hasler said on Tuesday that Morris’s performances over the final seven weeks of the NRL season and how far Canterbury progress in the final series will likely have the biggest influence on whether the in-form winger would earn selection in coach Mal Meninga’s Australian squad.

“I think the players and who they have available it (selection) will come back to the Australia selectors and Mal,” Hasler said at Sydney Airport.

“But you tend to find that the sides that go deep into the semi-finals, they are the players who get the nod apart from the incumbents who have their places guaranteed.

“Brett is in great form at the moment and he is a great finisher.” Morris has again emerged as one of the NRL’s leading wingers after missing two thirds of the season due to a knee injury picked up in the NRL pre-season.

He scored two tries in the Bulldogs 20-16 win over Manly last week to take his tally to nine tries from seven games this season. Hasler said the Bulldogs were confident Morris’s knee dramas were behind him.

“It has been a carefully planned and managed comeback for him,” Hasler said.

“He has ticked every single box in the rehab plan that was hatched for him.” Canterbury’s top four hopes go on the line when they face Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Thursday night in the opening match of round 24.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/fd3813225159f257896c9d4300014ad6

Minion

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Even playing fullback last year. Jorris had the chance to help out the team post Barba but flat out refused because it would affect his chance of being selected for NSW. Where with borris he said he is happy to play wherever the team needs him. We definitely got the wrong Morris 7 years ago :p

Even Brett has scored more tries then josh in 7 games this year :p if ever you thought josh would our score him it would be this year :p

I think with josh he feels the pressure that he is the lesser brother. Probably why he can't seem to pass it when he has an open player on the outside. Looks more selfish/wanting to get the try himself.
I think this is a bit harsh on Josh. He puts in a big effort in both attack and defence however he does seems to have dropped a little pace compared to a season or two ago. He also rarely gets good early possession from the players inside him so that hinders his opportunities too, probably more than anything else.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dragons hadn't seen the finals since 2011 before he came last year. He'd be relishing being with his brother and in a team that's competitive.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

Brutal truth, but I like Jmoz... even with his faults. He has given us good service I think

Reactions: Dw
Status
Not open for further replies.