Bulldogs to bring out best in Frank Pritchard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NEW Bulldogs recruit Frank Pritchard knows how the drum goes.

On his good days, the ball-playing back-rower nicknamed "Frank the Tank" can tear a game apart single-handedly as one of the NRL's most destructive forwards.

On his bad days, Pritchard has a tendency to go MIA, leading to tags such as "space cadet" and "overrated".

"I think it's fair. That's just something I've got to pick up and fix," Pritchard said.

"I want to be more dominant on the field on more of a consistent basis. I've still got more to learn in the game.

"I've got to become a stronger player and use that as motivation. I've just got to be switched on every game."

The move from Penrith to the Bulldogs could be just what the doctor ordered for one of the NRL's most enigmatic characters.

A happy-go-lucky figure away from rugby league, Pritchard spent most of last year dodging reporters after earning himself somewhat of a reputation as a loose cannon rent-a-quote. On the field, he can easily turn destroyer in the right frame of mind.

But it's the Kiwi forward's mental toughness that is most often called into question, with periods in matches where he appears to go missing.

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore is hoping the hard-edged culture at Canterbury might just be the key to whacking that wandering aspect out of Pritchard's game.

The Dogs intend to use Pritchard as a left-edge strike weapon, with captain Andrew Ryan to move in tighter, closer to the centre of the ruck.

"Frankie can provide that bit of grunt and a bit of an X-factor on the edge - a bloke who can rip the game apart from time to time," Moore said. "He's certainly a big signing for us and I intend to get the best out of him.

"That's where he's best suited, on an edge, and we probably lacked that little bit of grunt there this year.

"We didn't have a lot of impact with size and speed on the edges and he's certainly the sort of bloke who could do that for us."

Canterbury want more minutes out of Pritchard, who was occasionally hooked at the Panthers for lacklustre performances. Paired with returning Bulldog Greg Eastwood in the Canterbury back-row, the duo will add a dangerous, ball-playing dynamic to the Dogs' edges.

Retired Bulldogs captain Peter Tunks tipped coach Moore to turn Pritchard into the NRL's No. 1 back-rower.

"Consistency has been a problem for Frank in the past but when he's on his game I think he's the most damaging back-rower in rugby league," Tunks said.

"I think under Kevin Moore, Frank can stamp himself as exactly that."

James Hooper
November 19, 2010 12:00AM

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pritchard + Eastwood on field at same time = rape factory for the opposition team.

They should both start IMO.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
I really think that next year will be huge for Frank.. He seems happy to be joining us.. I just hope he can put in 100% effort in the pre season and it will pay off for him..

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
Pritchard + Eastwood on field at same time = rape factory for the opposition team.
Great choice of words... that ought to give our opposition supporters plenty of ammo, given our "coffs harbour reputation"

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Step up Frank, this is the best chance you've had to prove yourself

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Frank is going to be quite a player for us. hopefully his reputation as a hard man will get our boys to step up. im worried that the inconsistency is going to show up from frank again, making our team look bad.

also i hope that we come good with paea...i really want him to play for us in FG next year

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
I just can't wait for some of the tackles in the middle of the ruck. Stagg around the legs, then Eastwood and Pritchard over the top with epic shoulders. There will be medicabs.

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see him not injured and everything confirming he is 100%

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yawn, another sunshine article.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
But it's the Kiwi forward's mental toughness that is most often called into question, with periods in matches where he appears to go missing.

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore is hoping the hard-edged culture at Canterbury might just be the key to whacking that wandering aspect out of Pritchard's game.
The whole team went missing for the majority of last year. Attitude overhaul needed. Less talk, more action.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
So hectic!
We might as well have banners aimed at our opposition supporters, rather than in support of our players.

How's this:

"Swear2godbro, i'll cut you hard yuleh. Dun mess wit da hektiks!"

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
We might as well have banners aimed at our opposition supporters, rather than in support of our players.

How's this:

"Swear2godbro, i'll cut you hard yuleh. Dun mess wit da hektiks!"
4 shiz bro! Ben Robertz tatts are da bomb!

C

chipandchase

as i stated earlier this year, Ryan will be playing more prop this year and in the middle, not on the edges like he has been playing.
Bobcat is too slow for that role now and it enables us to use Idris, Eastwood and Pritchard on the edges. I think Bobcat can play a Steve Price type prop role for us and people forget he actually played prop at Parra before he came to us.

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
as i stated earlier this year, Ryan will be playing more prop this year and in the middle, not on the edges like he has been playing.
Bobcat is too slow for that role now and it enables us to use Idris, Eastwood and Pritchard on the edges. I think Bobcat can play a Steve Price type prop role for us and people forget he actually played prop at Parra before he came to us.
Yep i agree.

That would be the smart move.

Ryan seems to have more leg drive now then leg speed and it just makes sence that he would push into the engine room and alow the younger ferraries to burn it up on the edges.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont agree with Eastwood playing on the fringes, he killed it going up the middle when playing for NZ in the four nations. He should be a front rower.

Status
Not open for further replies.