Bulldogs Stat to Fix: Tries from six-agains

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Bulldogs Stat to Fix: Tries from six-agains
WhittakerNRL.com ReporterTimestampWed 6 Jan 2021, 08:01 AM

Their effort could rarely be questioned, but Canterbury's attacking woes continued last season.

The Bulldogs mustered just 49 tries - one more than last-placed Brisbane - as they narrowly avoided the wooden spoon.

But with a new coach in Trent Barrett, who was credited with helping spark Penrith's offence in their stunning run to the minor premiership, and a promising halfback recruit in former Rooster Kyle Flanagan, perhaps the tide is about to change.

One thing Canterbury must improve is capitalising on six-again calls given the rule is set to have an even bigger influence in 2021 with referees able to restart the tackle count for 10-metre offside infringements as well as ruck indiscretions.

The blue-and-whites managed seven tries following ruck infringements in the first year of the six-again rule. Only the Titans and Broncos (4) had less.

A lack of depth or uncertainty in key playmaking positions hasn't helped the Bulldogs' cause, so Flanagan's arrival to wear the No.7 jersey shapes as a major positive for a side needing direction.

The Panthers played an attractive, confident brand of football with Barrett as assistant coach and now Canterbury will hope he can unlock some effective ad-lib play at Belmore.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty redundant article when you consider the coaching changes. It was obvious that Pay didn’t coach the team to capitalise on 6 agains and just had them go back to a robotic first tackle hit up. I can’t see it being the same under Tbaz.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty redundant article when you consider the coaching changes. It was pretty obvious that Pay didn’t coach the team to capitalise on 6 agains and just had them go back to a robotic first tackle hit up. I can’t see it being the same under Tbaz.
I remember the players being asked about the rule changes and they said nothing changes as haven’t trained for it (under Pay) [emoji23]

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the one of the main contributing factors is where and when you get your set restarts.

I often felt that certain teams got their set restarts in fast more beneficial times and field positions. Whether it was getting them out of their own end on the fourth tackle or camped on the opposition try line getting a fresh set late in the count.

We always seemed to get them only when we were like in the middle of the field and it was only first or second tackle.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it's a big turnaround we are demanding and will not be easy at all, plus the personnel rebuild is only half done at most(and less if JAC and Burto dont come early)so massive is not an understatement, plus it will not happen overnight either.
I trust and believe Barrett will be a good fit for us but there will be speedbumps maybe more than most accept, hope we supporters remain calm.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's a big turnaround we are demanding and will not be easy at all, plus the personnel rebuild is only half done at most(and less if JAC and Burto dont come early)so massive is not an understatement, plus it will not happen overnight either.
I trust and believe Barrett will be a good fit for us but there will be speedbumps maybe more than most accept, hope we supporters remain calm.
Stay calm???? You do realise this is The Kennel don't you? :tongueclosed:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be as much of a struggle for points as it has been over the last few but I don't think they will flow either.

Tbaz can only cater an attacking structure to the players we have and that will limit us to some extent.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pretty redundant article when you consider the coaching changes. It was obvious that Pay didn’t coach the team to capitalise on 6 agains and just had them go back to a robotic first tackle hit up. I can’t see it being the same under Tbaz.
What was also robotic was Tolman consistently taking the 4 th tackle for a 3 m settler run which made us very predictable.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Last season we basically had 2 attacking players in the backline, that could create something from nothing, being Hopoate and Foran, with the latter not available for the whole season. This season we have Flanagan, Hopoate and Cotric plus Averillo if he plays at 5/8. That's a pretty decent upgrade in points scoring options, which makes it many times more difficult for other teams to defend against. Basically last year it was shut down Foran and our points scoring ability was more than halved. This year that's not the case.

If by some miracle we did manage to score Burton and/or JAC for this season then that's another big step upwards in attacking potential.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We didn’t have the attack quite right. But this year with a few tweaks and TBAZ , we will no doubt see a lot more tries from six again starts..!!

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the way TBaz has recruited with the extended coaching concept, key accountabilities going up for example with Steve Hansen and then across the range of defence and attack areas. Lets hope this creates a focus on details and standards, that was lacking in the play last year...yeh yeh I know cattle...but it has been a revelation what some sides have achieved with some more average players developing well in a more focused environment... looking good Doggies.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the way TBaz has recruited with the extended coaching concept, key accountabilities going up for example with Steve Hansen and then across the range of defence and attack areas. Lets hope this creates a focus on details and standards, that was lacking in the play last year...yeh yeh I know cattle...but it has been a revelation what some sides have achieved with some more average players developing well in a more focused environment... looking good Doggies.
Watched an interview with Bellamy last year some time where he said he's learnt to let go of the reigns and trusted in the staff around him, that everyone (staff) was responsible and answerable to their positions. Ive seen/heard a couple of interviews now where Baz has said its up to the coaching staff to get the best from the players. Not expecting miracles but cant wait to see what we have to offer this year.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We weren’t even playing Rugby League last year I’m not sure what sport Pay thought he was coaching but it wasn’t league

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watched an interview with Bellamy last year some time where he said he's learnt to let go of the reigns and trusted in the staff around him, that everyone (staff) was responsible and answerable to their positions. Ive seen/heard a couple of interviews now where Baz has said its up to the coaching staff to get the best from the players. Not expecting miracles but cant wait to see what we have to offer this year.
I agree mate big shifts in the culture while Tbaz has done well spreading out the accountabilities "the attack" where most of the work needs to be done is still his primary.