News Bulldogs star Karl Oloapu breaks silence on career defining spinal surgery, rehab, Anthony Minichiello’s advice

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True. No sports journalist involved in league are of much calibre. Majority just gossip hounds.
Remember rugby league week ? . . . Not that you're old enough to remember it :tearsofjoy: Great rugby league publication with awesome journo's . . . Surely the ***** at the telelie could Google it

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Remember rugby league week ? . . . Not that you're old enough to remember it :tearsofjoy: Great rugby league publication with awesome journo's . . . Surely the ***** at the telelie could Google it
Yes I'm old enough lol. Ian Heads.

Husband bought it every week. Back in the days we got fair publicity. Seems a life time ago back to a time that germalists loved the game and wrote about it as tho they did. No agendas just good human interest footy stories or good judges of footy players analysis of games.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Husband bought it every week. Back in the days we got fair publicity. Seems a life time ago back to a time that germalists loved the game and wrote about it as tho they did. No agendas just good human interest footy stories or good judges of footy players analysis of games.
Tim Prentice, another quality league journo . . . It is a lightyear away from the garbage we get served up now

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tim Prentice, another quality league journo . . . It is a lightyear away from the garbage we get served up now
Yes even Masters I think contributed. Letters to the Editor was good on footy subjects. I wrote in once about Turvey when all that talk was going around about him maybe getting poached by Easts. Demanded it not be happening in my life time lol

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ian Heads, has a great book "When the music died" about Western Division winning the Amco cup. Another good 1 about the 69 GF

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Mascord is decent.
He reminds me of me.
He likes to talk abo out he game as a whole and not just the bare basic day to day stuff
Also that Mike Meehall roar dude seems to put a lot of effort to his write ups
Buzz is trash but let’s be honest he’s engaging

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it?
I don’t see him recovering anytime soon.
Shouldn’t mess with the spine.
Next thing you know he’s two years out of the game
There's been plenty of players recover from neck injuries and go on to big things. We'll follow our duty of care. Part of that will be to not destroy his morale by sacking him in what is probably the toughest time of his life. His dream is balanced on a cliff edge right now and the club should support him.

Whether he recovers enough to continue playing, we'll look after him until he knows his future at the very least. It'd be a bad look to dump him now and would impact the opinion of potential recruits. Aside from that it just seems like it's not in character for the club. I assume that we'll even look for something for him to do round the club even if his career is over. But this is far too early to start looking to oust a guy with his talent. I don't expect this to end his career.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope the young fella makes it back to the NRL. I personally think he was thrown in the deep end this year. I didn't see much from the highlights reels in his NRL games so far. But he's not taken a backwards step which is positive considering his age.

Assuming he's out the full year, he's going to return with stiffer competition for a 6/7 jersey. From everything I've read, we're looking stacked with halves talent progressing through the grades. A year without football will possibly put him behind one or two more hopefuls. But I really expect that the next NRL game he plays for us will be in strong team.
Phil Gould said in the year that the club see Karl as a 13:

"I see him as a lock-forward, very much in the Cameron Murray mould, and I think he’s gonna be a really great player for this club for a long time."

Whether that's how it works out I'm not sure, I thought he left Broncos cause they wanted to move him to 9 or 13. He definately has the defence for 13, hits pretty hard and is a good ball runner.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

"I see him as a lock-forward, very much in the Cameron Murray mould, and I think he’s gonna be a really great player for this club for a long time."

Whether that's how it works out I'm not sure, I thought he left Broncos cause they wanted to move him to 9 or 13. He definately has the defence for 13, hits pretty hard and is a good ball runner.
He left the Broncos because they promised him a top 30 but reneged on that promise.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Assuming his recovery goes as hoped, I'd guess if he gets any opportunity to return to the NRL in any position he'll jump on it.

He definitely played a tough brand of football for his age. I think he's physically an early bloomer, he was up to it physically. But stepping up against seasoned professionals in an overpowered side nullified his skillset a bit. He didn't excel in attack this year but wasn't a slouch either. But by the time he debuted the team was going really poorly overall and he was thrown in the deep end at the worst time. He handled it well. He's NRL standard, but suffered from the usual hopes from fans that he'd be the magic ingredient to get us results.

Only time will tell on this one. I hope he returns and we make something special of him.