News Bulldogs star Karl Oloapu breaks silence on career defining spinal surgery, rehab, Anthony Minichiello’s advice

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs star Karl Oloapu breaks silence on career defining spinal surgery, rehab, Anthony Minichiello’s advice

Daily Telegraph

Bulldogs prodigy Karl Oloapu has broken his silence on career-defining spinal surgery by declaring he will continue to chase his NRL dream.

In his first interview since undergoing delicate surgery last Tuesday, the 18-year-old has praised his family, closest friends and the advice of Roosters legend Anthony Minichiello.

The Sunday Telegraph was sent a photo by Oloapu from inside his hospital ward at St Vincent’s Private in Sydney just 24-hours after undergoing surgery.

He is standing with his thumbs up and sporting an unmistakeable smile.

Oloapu lauded the expertise of Dr Mark Winder, one of Australia’s leading neurosurgeons, who has performed similar operations on other athletes, including Minichiello.

“I was just so stoked when I woke up from surgery,” Oloapu said.

“I’m feeling good.

“I was hoping that the surgery went as well as it did. The doctors are very happy and I’m grateful that Dr Winder took care of me.

“I just want to thank my family, my girlfriend (Ali) and my handsome manager (Matt Adamson).”

Oloapu has been told by doctors that he can commence his six to nine-month rehabilitation process within the next fortnight.

It will begin with light exercises to regain his strength.

Due to his young age and with his entire career in front of him, Oloapu has been advised to take a patient and cautious approach to his recovery by his medical team.

The teenager could opt to miss the entire 2024 season. However, no clear timeline will be determined for several months.

The Bulldogs could be eligible for salary cap exemption if Oloapu’s sideline stint extends through the entire 2024 season.

But one thing is for certain, Oloapu wants to play again, particularly after being handed his NRL debut by Cameron Ciraldo in 2023 and included a total of seven first-grade games.

“Getting back onto the footy field is the biggest goal,” Oloapu said.

“But I’m going to take it step by step, day by day and see how we go.

“I don’t want to rush anything or do anything too quickly.”

It was Minichiello, the former Australian, NSW State of Origin and Roosters legend, that originally organised Winder to assess an MRI of Oloapu’s spinal injury.

Minichiello’s story of overcoming serious back injuries during his extraordinary NRL career has been well-publicised.

It includes a precarious disc injury in 2008 that was just 1 millimetre away from the spinal cord.

The former Golden Boot winner is indebted to Winder for giving him “a new back.‘’

Oloapu, who the Dogs paid the Broncos a $500,000 transfer fee to sign to a four-year deal earlier this year, said Minichiello’s advice was defining.

“Speaking to Mini, gave me so much hope that I could overcome this injury,” Oloapu said.

“It was so good to hear something so positive from someone who has already been through the things I’m going through right now.

“Speaking to Mini and how he got back onto the field and the adversity he went through to prove people wrong, was the type of stuff that I wanted to hear.”

Ciraldo has been one of Oloapu’s biggest supporters and stated earlier this week that the club would be placing no added pressure on him to return to football until he’s ready.

“For an 18-year-old to go through something like that, it’s pretty daunting and Karl has been pretty nervous about (surgery),” Ciraldo told SEN radio.

“But the only thing in our mind is getting him back to full health.

“He’s a lovely kid, a really family guy and someone we’re really rallying around at the moment to get him back to full health.”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope the young fella makes it back to the NRL. I personally think he was thrown in the deep end this year. I didn't see much from the highlights reels in his NRL games so far. But he's not taken a backwards step which is positive considering his age.

Assuming he's out the full year, he's going to return with stiffer competition for a 6/7 jersey. From everything I've read, we're looking stacked with halves talent progressing through the grades. A year without football will possibly put him behind one or two more hopefuls. But I really expect that the next NRL game he plays for us will be in strong team.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope the young fella makes it back to the NRL. I personally think he was thrown in the deep end this year. I didn't see much from the highlights reels in his NRL games so far. But he's not taken a backwards step which is positive considering his age.

Assuming he's out the full year, he's going to return with stiffer competition for a 6/7 jersey. From everything I've read, we're looking stacked with halves talent progressing through the grades. A year without football will possibly put him behind one or two more hopefuls. But I really expect that the next NRL game he plays for us will be in strong team.
He looked very accomplished in the lower grades so the ability is there. First grade was a stretch for a young fella. Burton as his 7. He will have stiff competition but the club will be hoping cream rises to the top.

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
possibly he might be the player to be exempt as there is 31 at the moment..