Official Bulldogs sign Tevita Pangai Junior for next three seasons

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why we won’t take him for the rest of the season if that’s what it takes to land him what’s the harm
Probably salary cap related mate. Saving money this year by front loading a few contracts.

We have been out of semi final contention since Round 3

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The 1 positive here is that the media hasn’t said he is 99% a bulldog. They did that with SJ and we all know what happened there

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have heard that the Donkeys are asking for a substantial part of TPJ's contract for this year be paid by us in order to get a release for the remainder of the season. Much more in $ terms than the % of time left on his contract. Obviously this affects our Cap for this year by a significant amount. Also TPJ is on a reasonable amount of TPA which can be tricky to undo, let alone find substitutes for.

With the announcement that RFM is out for the rest of the season it may change our player situation regarding TPJ for the rest of this year, obviously no reduction effect on our Cap situation.

Always a Bulldog

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have heard that the Donkeys are asking for a substantial part of TPJ's contract for this year be paid by us in order to get a release for the remainder of the season. Much more in $ terms than the % of time left on his contract. Obviously this affects our Cap for this year by a significant amount. Also TPJ is on a reasonable amount of TPA which can be tricky to undo, let alone find substitutes for.

With the announcement that RFM is out for the rest of the season it may change our player situation regarding TPJ for the rest of this year, obviously no reduction effect on our Cap situation.

Always a Bulldog
Surely this is why we go Laundy on board so he can deal with and TPA’s. I do find it hard to believe with our current roster we don’t have any cap space to get him over now, give them Napa or Atoni

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will suck if the Tigers get TPJ and we get Vaughan only. We need both. TPJ is the priority. If we can get Vaughan at low cost and partner him with Thompson in the front row we could have TPJ and RFM (big boys) on both edges.

I'd love to see that. Then our forwards are all fixed and all we need is to upgrade our hooker for 2023 and plenty are available (ie Braileys, Mahoney, Api, Smith)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely this is why we go Laundy on board so he can deal with and TPA’s. I do find it hard to believe with our current roster we don’t have any cap space to get him over now, give them Napa or Atoni
I don't know the amount that the Donkeys are asking for, it could be his entire contract value (~$700k), plus reimburse any TPA's. We might be able to fit that in our Cap, but do we really want to pay someone that much for 5 games (say $150k per game) and that's if he doesn't get suspended or injured?

Latest, the Donkeys are also apparently asking for a "transfer fee", since Ikin doesn't want to let him go, for releasing him for next year, if true that makes him very expensive.

Always a Bulldog

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What reason would we have not to take him this year? RFM is made of glass and is gone. Elliot and Doorey are out.
Imagine how dumb the club will look if lose out on him over 2 months of footy.
Because this year is a bust anyway, why introduce him to the team at a time when morale is low, when in a few months time 12+ players are going to say goodbye, and when he is going to be trying to learn some new systems and combinations for a few months and then come November start learning changes to the system when the new players like Burton, Naden, and JAC come in and their style necessitates changes and introduces new combinations.

It's a smart move in my opinion. TPJ doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed, why complicate things for him, bring him on board at the same time as the other new players, let him be part of the 2022 resurgence, not part of some unnecessary 2021 rescue doomed to fail.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont see the point paying to have any player come over this season. We wont make the 8 regardless. Just a waste of cash.
Settles them and their family in after an interstate move, gives them a few games to get accustomed to the players around them and the coaching staff. It means that they are up and running, ready to go on day of pre season training, nothing to distract them.

As long as the cost in Cap terms is reasonable, how much cash is involved is irrelevant, we have plenty.

Always a Bulldog

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Settles them and their family in after an interstate move
In regards TPJ specifically, if he has kids he has done a good job hiding them. He had a g/f a few years ago, but there was some allegations of an assault (might have been a bit of push and shove), and I can't find anything that confirms whether or not she is still with him.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will suck if the Tigers get TPJ and we get Vaughan only. We need both. TPJ is the priority. If we can get Vaughan at low cost and partner him with Thompson in the front row we could have TPJ and RFM (big boys) on both edges.

I'd love to see that. Then our forwards are all fixed and all we need is to upgrade our hooker for 2023 and plenty are available (ie Braileys, Mahoney, Api, Smith)
One of the stories I read was that we can afford both so there's no reason why we shouldn't snare both but in saying that it doesn't mean we might not get tpj or Vaughn.
And if we don't get either the kennel will go nuclear!!