Official Bulldogs sign respected assistant coach David Furner

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Furner has a good rep as an assistant, mostly based on his time at the Cowboys with a Premiership in 2015, which many would agree was a Thurston lead era. Before that a loosing record as head coach at Canberra (43%) and since then he has been flicked from the Leeds Rhinos only 15 games into a 3 year contract (33%). Back to the assistant coach's role this year, how good has he been going at Newcastle, a long way from stellar with that roster and the huge amount of money that they have spent.

Much like Barrett, I'll wait my judgement on him until I see who we recruit and then how we play.

Go Dogs
He will be fine. Leeds was always a tough gig, Burrow, Sinfield, Peacock and all the greats they had retired and they were never going to be good when that happened... coach was on a hiding to nothing. As for the knights they were aiming up at beginning of year and tapered off in effort due to injuries

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: hopefully in next 24 hours they name billy Johnstone to a 4 month contract for conditioning in pre season. Hard these boys up a bit

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes 2 young coaches with ambition,given what we have endured over the last few years,can we really get any worse,I’m positive that we will b playing semi final football in the coming years.if you’ve lived in Newcastle you’d know y he is coming to Sydney,it’s a shithole,unless u live near the beach
I’d say the same thing about Sydney mate

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coaching ranks looking really solid so far, interesting to see who will be doing the strength and conditioning
Tbh I think the strength and conditioning coach is more crucial to us atm then the assistant coaches are....

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: hopefully in next 24 hours they name billy Johnstone to a 4 month contract for conditioning in pre season. Hard these boys up a bit
Billy Johnstone as conditioning coach? Are you serious?!!

These players today would spit the dummy if he was to condition them. Billy would be too tough for the young soft pussy's.

Brilliant suggestion though [emoji6]

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wonder who trent has in mind as head trainer.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We're excited to unveil part of our new Coaching and High Performance Staff for 2021, with the experienced David Furner named as Trent Barrett's Senior Assistant Coach.

After a long and successful playing career that took in 300 games with the Canberra Raiders, Wigan Warriors and Leeds, Furner moved into coaching and immediately showed himself to be a shrewd football brain.

After starting as an Assistant Coach with the Raiders in 2006, Furner was appointed Head Coach in 2009, a position he held for the next four years.

In 2013, Furner joined the North Queensland Cowboys as Assistant Coach and was part of their Premiership winning campaign of 2015, before further stints at South Sydney as Assistant Coach (2017-18) and Leeds Rhinos as Head Coach (2019), preceded a return to his current position as Assistant Coach with the Newcastle Knights.

Furner looked forward to joining up with the Bulldogs for season 2021 :

“I have been impressed with the vision that the Bulldogs have for the future and the plan that they have put together to get there. They are a proud club that are looking to re-build and I am excited about what lies ahead for them.

I am looking forward to working with Trent and the rest of the staff that are arriving for 2021 and I know that there is a strong will to turn the club around to create the results that the Members and fans expect.

I appreciate the Knights for their support through this process and I have a job to do for the rest of this season that is crucial and where my focus will be 100 per cent.”

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill was delighted to be able to announce that Furner was going to be part of the Bulldogs staff next season :

"One of the things that was important to both Trent and the club during the process of putting together this new team was to find the right mix of coaching experience, skills, personality and character.

David brings all of those qualities with him and has vast experience both in the NRL and Super League.

We are delighted that he will be joining us for next season and believe that he will add a great deal to our overall coaching group.”

2021 – Bulldogs Coaching and High Performance Staff

Trent Barrett -
Head Coach
David Furner - Senior Assistant Coach
Mick Potter – Mounties Head Coach
Out of this article the quote that I hope more than anything is actually true and not just spin for his new employer is Furner saying:

“I have been impressed with the vision that the Bulldogs have for the future and the plan that they have put together to get there. They are a proud club that are looking to re-build and I am excited about what lies ahead for them."

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tbh I think the strength and conditioning coach is more crucial to us atm then the assistant coaches are....
You’re right but furner was tough player and a hard trainer I think coach and assistant will have high expectations about players fitness levels so I think they’ll pick the right strength and conditioning coach, whoever it is I hope he is as mean as cat shit and twice as nasty

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
Hopefully he can get the best out of Elliot, Thompson, RFM, and hopefully he can do something/anything with Napa. Can’t wait until his contract is up. One of the many horrible signings we have had to live with over the last decade.
Napa and She-Rex the worst by the length of the straight

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So based on this article he has only signed for one year or did I miss something?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully we can start next season well. I think a lot of our issues this year came down to self belief. When things have gone wrong this year it's cascaded. I think that having an experienced campaigner to back Barrett up will be good.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has such a good game in the 94’ GF. Did he get the CliveChurchill? Or maybe it went to Marty Bella for his efforts at kick off [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes all 3 coaches have done some good things.
But none of them 3 coaches have any form coaching a first grade team, terrible form in fact.
Id take ronald mcdonald over pay as any change is an upgrade. And think we will improve.
But like twin turbo im not bursting with confidence it will be too much.
Our dumb players wanted pay to simplify the game plan.
So there certainly not working with a bright bunch either.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes all 3 coaches have done some good things.
But none of them 3 coaches have any form coaching a first grade team, terrible form in fact.
Id take ronald mcdonald over pay as any change is an upgrade. And think we will improve.
But like twin turbo im not bursting with confidence it will be too much.
Our dumb players wanted pay to simplify the game plan.
So there certainly not working with a bright bunch either.
‘I’m with Deano’ -
‘Deano will surprise a lot of people’
@Straight18 / 2018.

And of course you have EVIDENCE that our players WANTED the game plan ‘simplified’ - don’t you... well: pony up champ.