News Bulldogs sign Cook

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a lot of second rowers in the top 30. I think we need to move 1-2 of them on.
Happy to see Waddell/Elliott/Stimson/even it saddens me to say, Jacko move on in the next 12 months.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll retell what I was told by the Melbourne talent scout in Sydney years ago...
He walked into my work place and said...you've got him
I asked who
He said Lichaa, 16 clubs were trying to sign him but the Bulldogs paid most and continued Melbourne were looking at him as a replacement for Cameron Smith !
Poor Lichaa ...He didn't know DesTroyer Hasler was waiting for him at the Bulldogs :tearsofjoy:
Lichaa was the NSW U20s hooker & everybody said he was promising. The problem was Des wanted a tackling hooker & Lichaa was a running hooker. Des destroyed his career.
Imagine going from being THE best hooker prospect in the competition with EVERY side trying to sign you to 3 years later being released by the dogs who don't make the finals to being re-signed in the offseason only to finish up and not a single team wants to sign you even as a back-up.
That's sad TBH.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is another report of a player signed, but nothing official from the club. With this guy, that dummy half that won the Mal Meninga Cup in 2018, the huge Wests forward, and the back rower from QLD also reported today, we would be at our top 30. However none of those supposed signings have been officially announced.
Maybe some players are on their way out and that needs to be announced first. We should shop a few that aren't ever going to be required - eg: Elliott, Waddell, Stimson, Wakeham, Flanagan. I'd keep Allan at this stage as we need a bit of depth to cover fullback, wing and centre.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have agreed to sign a South Sydney hooker named Cook – but it isn’t Damien.

In what could prove a recruitment masterstroke, the Bulldogs have continued their multimillion-dollar spending spree by reaching an agreement with rising Rabbitohs star Joshua Cook.

News Corp Australia can reveal Canterbury have struck a deal with the other Cook’s South Sydney understudy after identifying the 22-year-old as the player who could solve their hooking woes.

In another Bulldogs mark made by Phil Gould, the rugby league mastermind was instrumental in getting yet another Canterbury deal done.

South Sydney's Joshua Cook is heading to Belmore. Picture: NRL Imagery's Joshua Cook is heading to Belmore. Picture: NRL Imagery

South Sydney's Joshua Cook is heading to Belmore. Picture: NRL Imagery

“Gus did his homework and helped identify him,” said a source close to the deal.

“He saw a lot of upside in the kid who would have been playing NRL this year if not for an injury.”

A former NSW under 16s-star, Cook’s 2021 season was derailed by a shoulder injury and then Covid.

Despite seeing little football this year, Cook has been earmarked as an NRL player and is expected to be announced as the Bulldogs next signing later this week.

A South Sydney junior who has rifled his way through the junior grades, Cook was touted as a future star by former Rabbitohs boss Shane Richardson during his tenure at the top.

“All Josh has needed over the past few seasons to represent at higher levels is luck with injuries, something which unfortunately hasn’t come his way,“ Richardson said.

“However we are seeing his game improve every week in the Canterbury Cup and Jersey Flegg competitions this year and there is still plenty of improvement in him.

“His best football is definitely in front of him.”

Phil Gould has made an immediate impact as the Bulldogs new General Manager of Football. Picture: Getty Images.

Phil Gould has made an immediate impact as the Bulldogs new General Manager of Football. Picture: Getty Images.

His latest Bulldogs signing, Gould is fast making his mark at the Bulldogs after being appointed the club’s General Manager of Football.

Taking a hands-on approach in the Bulldogs rebuild, Gould was pivotal in signing both Tevita Pangi Jr and Paul Vaughan.

Following an eight-year horror show that started in 2013 under former coach Des Hasler, Gould has vowed to return the Bulldogs to a final’s force.

And with the club’s long list of signings including Josh Addo Carr, Matt Burton, Brent Naden and Matt Dufty, all is on track.

The hooking role was seen as the last recruitment hurdle to clear.

Having used Jeremy Marshall King as a makeshift No. 9 and Sione Katoa at dummy half this year, the Bulldogs have not had a game breaking hooker since losing Michael Ennis to the Sharks.

Hmmm.

I seem to remember the last under age rep star hooker we signed who was going to be ‘the next big thing’.

Michael Lichaa.

I’ll reserve judgment on this one.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was a running hooker?
If you ever watched Lichaa in lower grades he was a stand out. Even when he played lower grades with us but for some reason as soon as he played first grade he just seemed to take a back seat to senior players like he was too frighten to run because he'd get into trouble or something. Didn't make sense. He blew his career. Des definitely helped.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing official from the club because some would be development contracts. Josh cook and John Asiata would be top 30 signings.
Even though Cook hasn't played first grade (I believe) he hopefully becomes our number 1 starting hooker IMMEDIATELY.

Thank f..k we finally have someone potentially better than JMK and ready for first grade. BBO can fight it out with Flanagan to play 7. No Averillo should never play 7 again. Centre, wing, 14 or nothing. He hasn't shown one quality that would make him a fullback either.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine going from being THE best hooker prospect in the competition with EVERY side trying to sign you to 3 years later being released by the dogs who don't make the finals to being re-signed in the offseason only to finish up and not a single team wants to sign you even as a back-up.
That's sad TBH.
And it is a sad indictment on Des Hasler & his coaching.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's sad TBH.
DesTroyer absolutely destroyed him by playing him full games and not using Cook to replace him...
Do you remember ?
He used select 4 forwards on the bench (no utility) and most time he would use 3 replacements only !

Last edited:

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
DesTroyer absolutely destroyed him by playing him full games and using Cook to replace him...
Do you remember ?
He used select 4 forwards on the bench (no utility) and most time he would use 3 replacements only !
Des is a wanker lets start our own chant just like tigers did but sad news is i dont think we will be winning against manly any time soon

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To all the people that always joke around saying can he play hooker to every player we sign yes he can fucking play hooker now u can shush

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Looks good but gees I hope he learns to pass on the line a bit more often. Those dummy half barrels only work 1% of the time. Rest of the time they just kill momentum cause you gotta go back to the 10 which gives the defensive line time to reset. Pisses me off every time I see guys try it